Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Manager

HomerJay

The club isn’t having to sell anything that isn’t nailed down anymore, and I don’t think it’s the thankless task it could’ve been viewed as 2 years ago. PP still made the move for God’s sake

Some relatively successful lower league / smaller club managers would think they’d won the lottery to be able to work with our apparent peasant budget & managers / coaches have egos just as big as players these days. They all think they can take a job on and improve a team otherwise they wouldn’t take the gig. Irrespective of where it is in the league, players they have etc

No clear name jumps out as a front runner. However there would be a queue around the ground of willing applicants

Financially if we maintain the current playing budget which will next season likely put us bottom or second bottom in terms of spend with Wigan and Blackburn coming up with already similar wage bills to ours, we still are losing 3M a year. Plus the Blumarble repayments kick in at the start of the season.

That’s a fair few million to cover. So without investment financially we are worse off than last season unless Ken puts several million quit in himself.

And to whoever above said it was shit til Alf came on, it's obviously Specsavers time

Nobody could argue we didn't do enough to bag a few

No surprise that the goals came when we had two up top, one of which was ALF, who scored 1 and got the assists for the other two

Before that we created more than we had done for weeks, Wilbraham missed a couple of decent chances

Hardly a screaming mob is it ffs

Stop being hysterical

If starting Wilbraham in order to give us a ‘presence up front’ whilst not scoring goals then bringing ALF off the bench to get the goals was such an obvious plan then why the fuck did he wait until May to try it out?

Master plan my arse

1) It worked. In spite of everyone proclaiming it a terrible idea.

2) I suspect it didn’t happen before because as Parky and Wilbraham alluded to the negativity from fans with that decision was hard for the players to handle. Come the last game they just knew they had to go for it.

3) It should have happened far earlier though. But as it happened in time then let’s just crack on. ALF is not a 90 minute lead the line striker.

I love how people are still complaining about Wilbraham starting even though it was clearly the right move. Before the game I said it was to have a presence up front to allow Le Fondre to come on fresh and effect the game.

Le Fondre is best off the bench. It was a hot day and the plan worked brilliantly.

When it mattered Parky ignored the fans and their inevitable whinging. Made the right call and took the difficult decision and it got us over the line.

I’d never listen to fans about managerial appointments after Coyle. Set the club back ten years if not more listening to the screaming mob. Ken knows what he’s doing. I will let him get on with it.

I think Parky is safe as houses as should be unless the ownership changes then all bets are off.

best off the bench? Correct me but out of his 7 goals 2 from the bench, if he remains next season (Le fondre) his name should be on the team sheet unless injured

1) i’m Not sure that any manager has ever had a game plan that involved leaving someone on the bench to come on at a later point to get the goals you need. Much more likely they start with the best team they can muster to get goals from the off

2) here we go, it’s the fans fault he never tried it earlier, fuck me! This is a guy who played the 11 he did at Burton Albion, he’s clearly not a man who’s arsed about what the fans think. Wilbraham barely got a kick this season, Parky clearly hasn’t fancied him

3) ALF isn’t a 90 minute lead the line striker but a 38 year old Wilbraham is?

Edited by birch-chorley

Yes he met the target of keeping us up this season. But you can't just judge him on that, you need to consider all sorts of other stuff. Yes, we have massive financial constraints and the tools at his disposal (the players) weren't the best. But it's HOW he used them that was the issue. Playing hoofball to Le Fondre for the last three months was crazy. Hardly ever playing Cough, and when he did he had him out wide, was just bizarre. To be in the situation we were in going into the Forest game after we'd beaten Villa six weeks earlier was shocking.

The players definitely need to take responsibility, but so to does Parkinson.

Sacking now would be rather harsh. I'd see how things pan out in the first six or seven games of next season. If we're still hoofing it with no one there to hold it up, and we have had another poor start, get rid.

I see no mention of Mick McCarthy from anyone. I'd have him without a doubt.

best off the bench? Correct me but out of his 7 goals 2 from the bench, if he remains next season (Le fondre) his name should be on the team sheet unless injured

Entirely depends. He started the 7 games before Sunday when we were shite.

I think he’s always been an impact player. With the right partner he’s fine but it’s debatable whether we will be strong enough to play 2 up front next year. I’d far rather we buy a proper centre forward who can play up with him or on their own.

1) i’m Not sure that any manager has ever had a game plan that involved leaving someone on the bench to come on at a later point to get the goals you need. Much more likely they start with the best team they can muster to get goals from the off

2) here we go, it’s the fans fault he never tried it earlier, fuck me! This is a guy who played the 11 he did at Burton Albion, he’s clearly not a mans who’s arsed about what the fans think. Wilbraham barely got a kick this season, Parky clearly hasn’t fancied him

or playing some rookie on loan from forest instead

2) here we go, it’s the fans fault he never tried it earlier, fuck me! This is a guy who played the 11 he did at Burton Albion, he’s clearly not a man who’s arsed about what the fans think. Wilbraham barely got a kick this season, Parky clearly hasn’t fancied him

To answer 3) Wilbraham did it far better on Sunday than ALF had done for the previous 7 games. The difference was we could just get crosses into the box as there was someone there to target. Made the game simpler. Suited us massively.

or playing some rookie on loan from forest instead

The fans fault that

Parky wanted Wilbraham on the pitch from the start with ALF coming on after 60 minutes but he had been on here before hand and wrote it off as a bad job

Went with Walker instead

Edited by birch-chorley

To answer 3) Wilbraham did it far better on Sunday than ALF had done for the previous 7 games. The difference was we could just get crosses into the box as there was someone there to target. Made the game simpler. Suited us massively.

I think you’ll find the difference was that we got crosses into the box for the first time in weeks

Agreed on it making the game simpler

I’d say that had more to do with the ten men behind Wilbraham who built up play and got the crosses in

I think you’ll find the difference was that we got crosses into the box for the first time in weeks

Agreed on it making the game simpler

I’d say that had more to do with the ten men behind Wilbraham who built up play and got the crosses in

But the ability to get the ball up and play from there clearly helped. Finding a player who helps us do that next season has to be a priority.

Parky has had 2 objectives since he got here

First get us promoted. Second keep us up. Whilst I am sure no one agrees with every call along the way you are judged in football on your results. So to sack him now is incredibly harsh, Bradford fans had all the same complaints him, new owners wanted a new approach so he was pushed out. Bradford have gone backwards since he left.

If someone sticks £59m into club they can appoint whoever they want, with so many players out of contract whoever manages us next year is almost starting afresh so might be right time to change......but who comes in with a better record than Parky ? The only name being mentioned is McCarthy but you will get a very similar approach to Parky.

If you judge Parky game 12 to 34 this season he stays, start and end he goes, overall might be some debate, but for me he stays.

• Site Supporter

Got to stay for me, my concern is that there is an overwhelming bitterness against him led by the usual culprits and his position will become untenable.

They're all shouting for Mick McCarthy, but I don't see how he could have done better with the resources.

If we do make a change then I'd be happy with him.

The Owen Coyle effect, I think they call it

Clap clap clap

The day we appoint mangers to sell STs we nay as well pack up

You lose all credibility banging on about Coyle for me.

On topic. It’s an odd one for me. I like him personally and am happy he can go out with his head held high.

He has to go though as we got lucky. That won’t happen again.

Dreadful start and finish to the season. We need someone to kick on. Some dreadful performances especially away.

I’m looking at a pochettino replacing Adkins scenario. We can kick on in this league without spending money. Good luck Phil but we need someone else

McArthy will end up at Barnsley thank fuck, I wouldn't want him anywhere near us, Holloway ditto, I'd be happy to give them two brothers at Lincoln a go.

McArthy and Holloway together at Barnsley? Mick'll twat him

• Site Supporter

McArthy will end up at Barnsley thank fuck, I wouldn't want him anywhere near us, Holloway ditto, I'd be happy to give them two brothers at Lincoln a go.

Them two brothers from Rotherham could be worth a shout