Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

100 years ago

MancWanderer

2 hours ago, Happy Wanderer said:

Many of us looking back had a relative who suffered during WW1

My late grandmothers (mums side) first husband died in 1914. I’ve never found out actually when and where, all I know he died during the war.

Very surreal to think if he hadn’t died for us I wouldn’t be here now nor my children.

Thank-you to all those who served and especially to those that paid the ultimate sacrifice, lest we forget.

If you search on the cwgc website giving just the surname and indicating First World War you will get a list of names with regiment or equivalent and date of death and grave/memorial details. Once the list appears you can then sort it into date of death order and see which are possible matches. My grandfather's record shows the addresses of both his parents and his wife, who it names, as well as details of the cemetery and plot reference. For memorials such as Menin Gate it shows the panel number.

13 minutes ago, crawshawbooth said:

walked up to Dunscar memorial in the pouring rain,

there were thousands there

after, walking into Bromley cross for a pint in the flag i looked back and it was like Manny road on a match day

A photo didnt feel appropiate under the circumstances

Yep, I was there & spoke briefly to one of the organisers who said it was the biggest turnout  he could ever remember, especially impressive considering the awful weather.

My Granddad lost his Dad on the last day of The Somme, and a brother aged 19 at Gallipoli. He'd have been aged about 11 at the time, just imagine. He never mentioned it, I only found out after he died. 

Further to what Malcolm mentioned in a previous post, there's also a site run by volunteers that is photographing every memorial - www.twgpp.org

Edited by ron

• Site Supporter
16 minutes ago, MalcolmW said:

If you search on the cwgc website giving just the surname and indicating First World War you will get a list of names with regiment or equivalent and date of death and grave/memorial details. Once the list appears you can then sort it into date of death order and see which are possible matches. My grandfather's record shows the addresses of both his parents and his wife, who it names, as well as details of the cemetery and plot reference. For memorials such as Menin Gate it shows the panel number.

There was a great thread on here a while back where someone had done this and someone else happened to be visiting the site and got pics and paid respects there for them I’m sure. 

cant remember the posters involved but it was fantastic reading 

34 minutes ago, fatolive said:

There was a great thread on here a while back where someone had done this and someone else happened to be visiting the site and got pics and paid respects there for them I’m sure. 

cant remember the posters involved but it was fantastic reading 

It was Nobster who visited the grave at Thiepval of my grandmothers brother who died near the end of the war

Took a load of photos and posted a certificate iirc to my Mum

Amazing act of kindness from him

• Site Supporter
35 minutes ago, frank_spencer said:

Got me in a catch 22 I'm not a fan of the forced wearing of poppies but it doesn't sit right with celtic being pretty much the only club in Britain not wearing them. 

The fact this is 100 years since the end of WW1 and that many many Irish died in that conflict (it was part of the UK then) is obviously lost on them.

30 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

The fact this is 100 years since the end of WW1 and that many many Irish died in that conflict (it was part of the UK then) is obviously lost on them.

Even not bringing Ireland into it there was plenty of glaswegian men died in ww1 nevermind those who've lost their lives since. 

It just seems to be an attempt to keep the sectarian bollocks going rather than putting it aside for just 1 day. 

I get Matic and his poppy thing and fair play to him for explaining it. He made his decision and was open about it. Can’t criticise him for that

Celtic. Hhhhmmmm!!!! I have some really good Celtic mates and tbh they shake their heads. There’s a small group of fans who do all the pro-IRA/anti-British shit. All three of my mates lost family members in one of the wars. Their view is that Celtic are bowing to pressure from these idiots and are heaping pressure on themselves

One of them said that basically they will do the opposite of Rangers. Simple as that. And if it inflames sectarianism then so what. He’s had enough

• Site Supporter
6 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

It was Nobster who visited the grave at Thiepval of my grandmothers brother who died near the end of the war

Took a load of photos and posted a certificate iirc to my Mum

Amazing act of kindness from him

That was the one, made really good reading, fair play to him.

I've been over to Belgium this summer visited the Tyne Cot Memorial as my wife's grandfather is one of the 35,000 soldiers named on walls that surround the cemetery who's bodies were never found. We also went to see Menin Gate memorial at Ypres and spent a day at Passchendaele wandering the battlefield, very humbling to stand where so many men lost their lives in such terrible conditions.    

Seems to have received a mixed view in the press. 

Fair fuck to him I say the white poppy is meant as a remembrance of those who died in war but a statement that future wars should be avoided. 

I could understand the outrage if he turned up with no poppy( or didn't turn up cos it was raining ;)) then again he's been a vocal opponent of the right since his appointment. 

• Moderators

what does it matter about the colour? can't say I've heard of a white poppy before, but if the sentiment is the same, no problem

can't be arsed with folk who get upset about who does and doesn't wear a poppy -  it's not compulsory

"where's your poppy yer cunt"