Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Annual weightloss/get fit thread

gonzo

10 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

So how far is too far when it comes to riding a bike? 

When i get to the bottom of my road, Cheshire is 1 mile away if i go left, Manchester is 2 if i go straight on and the centre of Stockport (where i live) is 4 if i go right

I think (and there's a good chance I'm wrong) they said to exercise within 2km of home?

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Traf said:

I think (and there's a good chance I'm wrong) they said to exercise within 2km of home?

The official gov.uk rules say 

"you should not travel outside your local area" 

They also say 

"Personal training can continue one-on-one" 

And 

"You can exercise in a public outdoor place with 1 person from another household" 

so i can have a PT session  in my local park tomorrow if I want and come into contact with him

i could also run round the block with my neighbour and chat shit whilst we heavily breath near each other 

or i could go for a ride on my own and see no one

Like RW says, common sense

5 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

The official gov.uk rules say 

"you should not travel outside your local area" 

They also say 

"Personal training can continue one-on-one" 

And 

"You can exercise in a public outdoor place with 1 person from another household" 

so i can have a PT session  in my local park tomorrow if I want and come into contact with him

i could also run round the block with my neighbour and chat shit whilst we heavily breath near each other 

or i could go for a ride on my own and see no one

Like RW says, common sense

So when was the common sense applied when doing a tour of football grounds today? 

• Moderators
Just now, royal white said:

So when was the common sense applied when doing a tour of football grounds today? 

I didn't come into contact with anyone at any point 

Would you rather i went for a run with my mate in tandem? It's within the rules after all 

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, royal white said:

Forget it, it’s obviously not just common sense you’re lacking. 

What else am I lacking other than a mate to go for some exercise with?

Edited by ZicoKelly

• Site Supporter

I’m with @Ani on this one, I don’t think there’s a specific distance that specifies local, it’s very much at local Police discretion. 

If cycling is limited to within 2k then they should take cycling off the permitted outdoor exercise list.  If I was to  continuously cycle up and down CNR not only would it be of limited benefit to my health and well-being (which is what this hour of exercise is meant to be about isn’t it?) but I’d also come into contact and be interacting with far more cars, people, traffic and problems than if I was to cycle on the quieter roads to Belmont, Angkezarke, etc. 

As it happens I’ve only been cycling on the turbo because the roads are full of ice and slush, but I don’t think the likes of Ani with his dog and zico on his bike are breaking the local rule. The police I know round here would not prosecute you for that.

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Anyway I’m just setting off for a walk up rivvy. I will in my car not see another person for the duration of the 218 mile journey there. 

common sense 

Just be careful at the garage filling up

• Moderators
2 hours ago, desperado said:

I’m with @Ani on this one, I don’t think there’s a specific distance that specifies local, it’s very much at local Police discretion. 

If cycling is limited to within 2k then they should take cycling off the permitted outdoor exercise list.  If I was to  continuously cycle up and down CNR not only would it be of limited benefit to my health and well-being (which is what this hour of exercise is meant to be about isn’t it?) but I’d also come into contact and be interacting with far more cars, people, traffic and problems than if I was to cycle on the quieter roads to Belmont, Angkezarke, etc. 

As it happens I’ve only been cycling on the turbo because the roads are full of ice and slush, but I don’t think the likes of Ani with his dog and zico on his bike are breaking the local rule. The police I know round here would not prosecute you for that.

Aye, the rules just say "stay local", they don't stipulate a distance or time scale 

I went no further than 9 miles from my house, i just crossed a road that meant i was in Manchester, not Stockport, though i didn't all of a sudden become a greater risk to myself or others because there was none to begin with 

Likewise I could do around the same distance in another direction and still be in Stockport and still be at the same risk, ie none 

What i can do though, is:

- drop my daughter off at nursery where she mingles with several other kids and adults, then 

- take the dog for a walk and grab a coffee somewhere en route to takeaway 

- nip out at lunch to get a sandwich from somewhere 

- once my lunch has gone down meet a mate and go for a run

- pick daughter up from nursery 

- nip to the supermarket for some tea 

- grab some beers from the offy 

All within the rules, all within a mile of home 

I could even mix it up and do different shops and mates every day

I don't, as that seems risky to me, more so that cycling over an imaginary line 

Some people can also do all that, and go to work if THEY deem it necessary 

FWIW, I've no issue with anyone going on a massive bike ride on their own. 
Far less likely to catch/spread the virus on a bike than you are out walking/running.

Re: the 2km rule that I thought might/might not be applicable, that was case in lockdown 1, but apparently not now. I suppose I'd have known if I actually did some exercise.

Cycling is probably the safest exercise option unless an accident occurs but accident can occur with any exercise. 

tons of cyclists coming up the coast road near me and all will be crossing a council boundary 4 miles down the road. They are all breaking the rules which are clear here but each to their own. 

1 hour ago, Escobarp said:

Cycling is probably the safest exercise option unless an accident occurs but accident can occur with any exercise. 

tons of cyclists coming up the coast road near me and all will be crossing a council boundary 4 miles down the road. They are all breaking the rules which are clear here but each to their own. 

It is the interpretation of ‘local’ that seems to cause an issue. It is hard to imagine an hours exercise on a bike that does not take you a few miles from home. 
As you say cycling itself seems very safe but if you have an accident or puncture you can not repair what happens ? 
You could say Zico was local based on his start and end point. I thought the local rule was to stop people driving to    Touristy type places where people congregate. 
Too fat to cycle myself but might do 30 minutes on exercise bike in bedroom later. (Not a reference to our lass) 

3 minutes ago, Ani said:

It is the interpretation of ‘local’ that seems to cause an issue. It is hard to imagine an hours exercise on a bike that does not take you a few miles from home. 
As you say cycling itself seems very safe but if you have an accident or puncture you can not repair what happens ? 
You could say Zico was local based on his start and end point. I thought the local rule was to stop people driving to    Touristy type places where people congregate. 
Too fat to cycle myself but might do 30 minutes on exercise bike in bedroom later. (Not a reference to our lass) 

Surely any exercise takes you back where you started or how do you get home? 

the rules are wishy washy basically. Like you and others including Zico point out. 

Cycling cannot really be done in a local council area or whatever. Plus the best cycle routes traverse various localities but are ideal for cycling 

2 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

Aye, the rules just say "stay local", they don't stipulate a distance or time scale 

I went no further than 9 miles from my house, i just crossed a road that meant i was in Manchester, not Stockport, though i didn't all of a sudden become a greater risk to myself or others because there was none to begin with 

Likewise I could do around the same distance in another direction and still be in Stockport and still be at the same risk, ie none 

What i can do though, is:

- drop my daughter off at nursery where she mingles with several other kids and adults, then 

- take the dog for a walk and grab a coffee somewhere en route to takeaway 

- nip out at lunch to get a sandwich from somewhere 

- once my lunch has gone down meet a mate and go for a run

- pick daughter up from nursery 

- nip to the supermarket for some tea 

- grab some beers from the offy 

All within the rules, all within a mile of home 

I could even mix it up and do different shops and mates every day

I don't, as that seems risky to me, more so that cycling over an imaginary line 

Some people can also do all that, and go to work if THEY deem it necessary 

Kids need education 

Dog needs walking

You need food

You Do not need to see football grounds.

5 hours ago, desperado said:

Have you seen the prices Turbo trainers are going for now on EBay?

7 minutes ago, royal white said:

Have you seen the prices Turbo trainers are going for now on EBay?

Why splash out on one of those? This will do the same job for £84.95...

43090.jpg

I just made myself roast chicken, brie, stilton, chilli and olives on griddled rosemary foccacia with garlic and herb butter...

I'm one generation from t'mill and t'pit tha' knows.

I'm going back to my prole roots by swilling it down with a Guinness Original straight from the can.

Quitting good food and booze in the shittest month in the shittiest times - those doing this must be masochists.

If I've not succumbed by then I'll make April a 30-Day 'Rocky' training montage.