Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Birds of prey

Alf Hartigan

• Site Supporter

Who's seen one whilst out in the countryside?

Saw one in Turton yesterday and it was stunning, driving down Greens Arms Road and this massive bird came down in front of me (not swooping for a kill, just to sit on a post). I was right underneath it and it's talons looked bigger than my hands, turned round further down the road to get a picture but it had gone. 

I've seen them in exhibitions on peoples arms but this fucker was bigger than anything like that, thought it was going to pick my car up at one point, okay exaggerating there.

Googled it since, and it was probably one of the larger hawks, absolutely breathtaking to see close up though.

Still think it may have been a Golden Eagle, although google tells me it won't be.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Alf Hartigan said:

Saw one in Turton yesterday and it was stunning, driving down Greens Arms Road and this massive bird came down in front of me (not swooping for a kill, just to sit on a post). I was right underneath it and it's talons looked bigger than my hands, turned round further down the road to get a picture but it had gone. 

I've seen them in exhibitions on peoples arms but this fucker was bigger than anything like that, thought it was going to pick my car up at one point, okay exaggerating there.

Googled it since, and it was probably one of the larger hawks, absolutely breathtaking to see close up though.

Still think it may have been a Golden Eagle, although google tells me it won't be.

Probably a buzzard.

Kestrels are probably the most common but not that big.

No golden eagles in England now, sadly.

• Site Supporter

Seen one kill the kids pet rabbit once, sad obviously, but fucking hell was an awesome sight too and I suppose the thing didn’t know it was a newly bought pet, just dinner so fair enough I suppose

on a work team building thing once, got volunteered to wear the glove while this kestrel flew and landed on it, even through this chain mail/ leather glove, could feel the grip this thing had on my arm, and the speed it came to me was frightening, don’t mnd admitting that! 

• Site Supporter
31 minutes ago, Steejay said:

Probably a buzzard.

Isn't the bird at Bolton Town Hall a Kestrel that scares the Pigeons off?

It looked twice the size of that.

• Site Supporter

we had a sparrow hawk and a few owls nearby at our last house..

The owls were dicks and used to hoot down the chimney pots at night, proper noisy.. The sparrow hawk would sit on the fence at the back garden and glare at the dog. Big massive bird. 

At work they bring a Harris Hawk in once a week to scare of the gulls that plight the yard at the back.. Little Lever's gangster gulls were not even remotely scared of it despite it being huge and scary. 

3 hours ago, Steejay said:

Probably a buzzard.

They're reintroducing golden eagles to Scotland though. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-45248409

Youri, I think the Haast Eagle died out as their primary food source, the Moa bird were hunted to extinction by Maori. I saw a reconstructed Moa in a museum and they're feckin massive so Haast eagles must have been huge 

• Members

Amazing animals and intelligent too.

We have Eagles here (which is why the local AFL team chose that name). Out in the wilds they are scary fuckers. Big bastards who do very well out of road kill and I was recently north of a remote hell hole called Wiluna when I had the most recent of many encounters with them when a dead camel was its morning meal (yes, there are wild camels here left over from the Afghan trails south to north and vice versa). In the middle of the road and they are perched there ripping off lumps of flesh. They clock you from a fair distance and start to lean towards you and spread their wings aggressively in a "this is my fucking meal" pose and they only fly away (very temporarily) when you are right on top of them.

This girl is one of'em. Does this before every home game. Spectacular animal but a wanky name though. Such imagination :roll:

5 hours ago, Alf Hartigan said:

Gulls are taking over the world, always had the numbers but seem to have the size now.

They're a bigger problem than these scooter robbers.

Been some great arguments on social media over this. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.devonlive.com/news/seagull-snatched-chihuahua-protecting-young-3120632.amp

9 hours ago, Alf Hartigan said:

It will be more than likely be a buzzard. Loads of them around its just folk don't notice them. If you are driving down a motorway for any length of time you will see them circling high up on the thermals. Saw one trying to collect a dead rabbit once. Town Hall and parish church have Perigrin Falcons. Can not mistake their call. It screeches. Pigeons don't hang about. There was a perigrin that regularly hung around on the scoreboard floodlight at the Wanderers. You will almost certainly hear this bird before you see it.

Edited by Underpants

• Site Supporter

Aye, definitely a buzzard unless it's an escaped job from captivity.

One mon frequently excercise his BOPs on new house farm playing fields.

Popping over to Wales and red kites are abundant now.

Was once lucky enough to see a male hen harrier in Scotland, and a golden eagle there as a kid.

If they carry on letting seagulls evolve in the way they are, they’ll become the dominant bird across the whole country and spread across the mainland. 

Theyre out of control. Reckon 3-4 of em could take a Falcon. 

Loads of birds of prey around where I live, mainly Kites and Buzzards. I'm also quite lucky that I see a few Barn Owls early evening as well, one of them lives quite close by as well I think, the noisy cunt it is

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Could be, I never see it, just hear it early evening.

If it's the traditional "towit towoo" (or however you spell it), then tawnies.

When you see barn owls in the half light of dusk, hunting, they're silent. Fookin brilliant sight- an avian ghost gliding through the gloom.

20 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

When you see barn owls in the half light of dusk, hunting, they're silent. Fookin brilliant sight- an avian ghost gliding through the gloom.

yes, see them flying across the common, one sometimes sits on the little bridge over the river, not that you can ever get close to it though.

The other week, I was lucky enough to see a kingfisher in the morning and the barn owl sat on the bridge in the evening  - never seen both of them in the same day or even week before