Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

15 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Surely once the oldies and tubthumpers are protected we can just crack on?

Read that once everybody over 50 and those who had to shield due to health conditions are done, that's 99% of those who are dying from it sorted. Summat like that.

Edited by mickbrown

Krankie has said today by the end of spring they will have only done the over 65’s and then it will be onto the rest of the population. Originally it was everyone who needed it by then now it’s just the over 65’s. 

long road ahead yet before normality 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Escobarp said:

Krankie has said today by the end of spring they will have only done the over 65’s and then it will be onto the rest of the population. Originally it was everyone who needed it by then now it’s just the over 65’s. 

long road ahead yet before normality 

Jvt did an interesting session this morning. Clearly not going to get everyone done that quickly. Oxford Vaccine much easier to work with which would help, but we can only use what we've got at the moment. 

2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Jvt did an interesting session this morning. Clearly not going to get everyone done that quickly. Oxford Vaccine much easier to work with which would help, but we can only use what we've got at the moment. 

I would take all timescales with a pinch of salt at the moment. They are clearly trying to avoid the ‘fuck it we can have Xmas there is a vaccine ready. ‘ 

JVT let it slip when saying 99% of deaths/ serious illnesses would be tackled by first wave of vaccinations. Might be right to say will be middle of year before everyone is done but lose 99% of deaths we surely can crack on. 

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Ani said:

I would take all timescales with a pinch of salt at the moment. They are clearly trying to avoid the ‘fuck it we can have Xmas there is a vaccine ready. ‘ 

JVT let it slip when saying 99% of deaths/ serious illnesses would be tackled by first wave of vaccinations. Might be right to say will be middle of year before everyone is done but lose 99% of deaths we surely can crack on. 

Its that first phase that's going to take longer than we might think unfortunately. Still need the stuff to be made and delivered, and until the Oxford one is available, then vaccination hubs are going to be the primary delivery method, beyond care homes etc.

Add to that at least one month from first jab to protection, and we're in restrictions for some time yet.

5 hours ago, Tombwfc said:

I see Gavin Williamson's gone all "your boys took one hell of a beating" about an internationally developed vaccine this morning.

The Tories do have their fair share of lookalike Harry Enfield/ Steve Coogan type of charactures. How the fuck some of these types make it to the top table god only knows.... then you look across the house and think WTF!! 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

5 minutes ago, Spider said:

As mentioned by a few already

Get the vulnerable and over 60's jabbed, then let's lift all restrictions.

Surely this can be done by March?

End of spring up here she’s saying for that. And that’s only about 1.25m people or so I reckon roughly 

16 minutes ago, Ani said:

I can’t see them purposely delaying a vaccine to dampen down peoples Christmas plans. Delaying it means more deaths & job losses, I should imagine they are doing everything they can to start ASAP 

With regards the 99% bit, as you say no reason why folk should be losing their jobs in a lockdown once the vulnerable have had a vaccine. Should all be in Tier 1 as a minimum by that stage, hopefully February 

21 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

End of spring up here she’s saying for that. And that’s only about 1.25m people or so I reckon roughly 

The chaps who I speak to, at Oxford, reckon around end of April before "those that really need it" will all be vaccinated. If their vaccine comes to pass, then it'll happen much quicker apparently, but they've got a few issues with it, as we're all aware.

1 minute ago, Escobarp said:

Yeah to me if we are getting back to something like normality (the new normal) by summer then I think we’ve done alright. Anyone thinking start of the year needs to give their head a wobble. Ain’t happening 

I know that, and you know that, but I think some people are so desperate to get back to "normal" they're possibly in for a slight disappointment if they think we'll be cracking on in January/February.

Also, things like masks and social distancing are going to be here for pretty long time yet I think, but that's no bad thing really

Hopefully though, as Birch says, we can get those bits of the economy, that aren't doing too well, moving again, and we can stop the job losses come March/April time.

7 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Yeah to me if we are getting back to something like normality (the new normal) by summer then I think we’ve done alright. Anyone thinking start of the year needs to give their head a wobble. Ain’t happening 

I do think people are missing the 21 days between shots, if you got the first one today, it would be christmas eve before you got the 2nd one, so you can forget Christmas, at the best you can look at is easter

Edited by tyldesley_white

5 minutes ago, Sweep said:

I know that, and you know that, but I think some people are so desperate to get back to "normal" they're possibly in for a slight disappointment if they think we'll be cracking on in January/February.

Also, things like masks and social distancing are going to be here for pretty long time yet I think, but that's no bad thing really

Hopefully though, as Birch says, we can get those bits of the economy, that aren't doing too well, moving again, and we can stop the job losses come March/April time.

Agree re the social distancing and masks etc that’s the new norm now for us. 

hospitality sector will be dead if they wait much longer  we won’t have pubs and restaurants to go back to

this will hopefully give people confidence to book holidays abroad and in uk though to give the travel industry a boost. 

I think people are confusing what’s meant by ‘normal’ 

Plenty would snap your hand off for Tier 1 as that’s much better than Tier 3 whilst still not being ‘normal’. A shit load more jobs are better protected in Tier 1 than 2 or 3

As we know, the Tiers are calculated with 5 things in consideration. Two of the key ones being new cases in the over 60 age group & local hospital capacity. As each week passes and more vaccines are given out the numbers of new cases in the over 60’s will dramatically decrease, the hospital admissions will drop soon after (given most admissions are 60+). The vaccine is being administered according to risk so the first 5m doses given to the most vulnerable will likely do as much good for hospital admissions as the next 10m doses given to the slightly less vulnerable 

We have several million doses of the Aztra vaccine landing in December, more in January. Whilst a full dose requires 2 jabs 21 days apart the vaccine starts to work after the first jab. 

For me, all this means that cases in the 60+ category will start to fall dramatically from next week, hospital admissions will drop even faster (all be it 2 weeks behind). The impact of this should see regions moving out of tier 3 to tier 2 then into Tier 1. I suspect we will all be Tier 1 by February at the latest with Normal Normal late Spring into Summer 

Edited by birch-chorley

2 hours ago, birch-chorley said:

I can’t see them purposely delaying a vaccine to dampen down peoples Christmas plans. Delaying it means more deaths & job losses, I should imagine they are doing everything they can to start ASAP 

With regards the 99% bit, as you say no reason why folk should be losing their jobs in a lockdown once the vulnerable have had a vaccine. Should all be in Tier 1 as a minimum by that stage, hopefully February 

I did not say delay the vaccine did I ?

1 hour ago, Escobarp said:

It won’t stop cases as the vaccine doesn’t prevent the catching of the virus (apparently).  But will reduce hospitalizations. 

You sure ? I think you are wrong. It is 90% effective at stopping you catching the virus.

1 minute ago, Ani said:

You sure ? I think you are wrong. It is 90% effective at stopping you catching the virus.

According to jimmy krankie today she said she has seen no evidence that says the vaccine stops you catching it or spreading it. What it does is stops you getting seriously ill with it in a high proportion of people. As such until such time as somebody confirms to her that it means we can’t catch it then we will continue to live with the virus 

don’t shoot the messenger. But she isn’t going to make that statement publically if it isn’t what she’s been told by the scientists 

2 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

According to jimmy krankie today she said she has seen no evidence that says the vaccine stops you catching it or spreading it. What it does is stops you getting seriously ill with it in a high proportion of people. As such until such time as somebody confirms to her that it means we can’t catch it then we will continue to live with the virus 

don’t shoot the messenger. But she isn’t going to make that statement publically if it isn’t what she’s been told by the scientists 

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2261805-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-pfizer-biontech-covid-19-vaccine/

This says ‘fell ill’ but given people can display no or little symptoms be amazed if it does not mean can not catch it. 

2 minutes ago, Ani said:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2261805-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-pfizer-biontech-covid-19-vaccine/

This says ‘fell ill’ but given people can display no or little symptoms be amazed if it does not mean can not catch it. 

I’m only going off what she said. Specifically said there has been no evidence given to her that the vaccine means you cannot catch or spread it.