Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

52 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

My predictions; no second wave, fatalities to continue to meander downwards, infections to reduce slowly, hospitalisations to continue to fall.

Provided we're sensible for another could of months, I'd agree.

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Just virtue-signalling, feel good, trimmings, in my view

Even if there is a evidence of a small benefit?

Sorry mate, but its far from virtue signalling. Whether anyone doesn't like it, its what we've been asked to do. If everyone starts picking and choosing we're scuppered.

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Just virtue-signalling, feel good, trimmings, in my view

Which bit do you disagree with

do you not think masks reduce the transmission of particles or do you not think the virus is spread that way ? 

Intrigued by people’s reluctance to accept masks, even before the pandemic, masks were worn by anyone not wishing to pass on germs, surgeons, dentists even those hair eyebrow  braiders in The Arndale  etc

cant see how the fact having something over your gob reduces how much you infect an area around you is in dispute . 

Get the fact they don’t offer much against catching it but if it is spread by droplets in breath then it certainly will help reduce spread it surley ? 

11 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Even if there is a evidence of a small benefit?

Sorry mate, but its far from virtue signalling. Whether anyone doesn't like it, its what we've been asked to do. If everyone starts picking and choosing we're scuppered.

I wear a mask as the law requires.

I don’t think it makes a difference, though.

4 hours ago, Spider said:

Cases are dropping

Deaths are consistently under 20 each day.

Lets end the lockdowns and be satisfied that mask wearing and general sensible behaviour seems to be doing the trick.

Thats the point that needs forcing home. Masks are great. Those daft Japs were right all along.

New cases in the UK aren’t dropping though are they? They’ve been in the rise since early July,

1 hour ago, fatolive said:

Which bit do you disagree with

do you not think masks reduce the transmission of particles or do you not think the virus is spread that way ? 

Intrigued by people’s reluctance to accept masks, even before the pandemic, masks were worn by anyone not wishing to pass on germs, surgeons, dentists even those hair eyebrow  braiders in The Arndale  etc

cant see how the fact having something over your gob reduces how much you infect an area around you is in dispute . 

Get the fact they don’t offer much against catching it but if it is spread by droplets in breath then it certainly will help reduce spread it surley ? 

To be fair, the government and special advisors spent weeks telling us they do more harm than good 

Now they do more good than harm 

Perhaps it’s just another bug U turn that’s done more harm than good 

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

To be fair, the government and special advisors spent weeks telling us they do more harm than good 

Yeh possibly, get that, the fact others wore masks to prevent germs in breath spreading long before Covid existed along with the obvious “ no doubt about it” physics about the difference between droplet travel distance with one on  v without a mask makes me wonder why there’s any doubt or ever was, other than people may not believe it’s spread that way. 

27 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

On masks to be fair to Govt WHO also said masks were not needed. 

7 hours ago, Ani said:

On masks to be fair to Govt WHO also said masks were not needed. 

Completely agree 

But you can’t have the WHO and several governments start by saying they do more harm than good as they make you touch your face more, then expect to do a big U turn and get everyone on board 

I suspect the initial stance was more about limiting demand on PPE to allow health services to purchase more freely (which was still very difficult) 

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, birch-chorley said:

Completely agree 

But you can’t have the WHO and several governments start by saying they do more harm than good as they make you touch your face more, then expect to do a big U turn and get everyone on board 

I suspect the initial stance was more about limiting demand on PPE to allow health services to purchase more freely (which was still very difficult) 

I think there's something in that. 

Now that ppe is more available, the message is still to wear them, so presumably the shift was also partly in response to new evidence that there is some beneficial effect of wearing one.

Think 6% reduced risk reduction was mentioned. Dave Brailsford would have snatched your hand off such a large marginal gain. Hopefully Evatt will be on the lookout for something like this too.

3 minutes ago, Spider said:

Matt Hancock saying there’s no evidence the virus transmits in the office, so go to work.

Did he catch it on the fucking tube then?

Or don’t go to work. Enjoy living off very limited UC til it stops. Choice is entirely there for everyone 

Edited by Escobarp

6 minutes ago, Spider said:

Matt Hancock saying there’s no evidence the virus transmits in the office, so go to work.

Funny that as my old place of work has just sent 20 of the media team home because one person has tested positive. Went in last week to get my laptop wiped and sent back, at it's a ghost town. Office that holds 2,000 with about 5 people on each floor. Google UK not sending anyone back until spring next year, Facebook cancelled their plans for the UK office to move there, Universal music shut until next year, same for You Tube I believe. Samsungs new hyper flash showroom/office had about three members of staff in and no other visitors. My new office, similarly quiet.

London looks like something from a zombie film, even though it was a bit busier last week, its nowhere near normal and without the office workers so many other parts of the city are just closing down. Leon, Wasabi, Pret etc all closed around king's cross. I hear its the same in most other city centres. The suburbs are in for a boom time.

26 minutes ago, Spider said:

When did he catch it?