Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Corona Football Season

HomerJay

Corona Football Season  

196 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, SatanGreavsie said:

I get that there's a lot of money in the PL based in final position etc. But there'd be an awful lot of meaningless games that  - after the initial novelty - nobody will watch, as has already been pointed out. I don't think the nation's souls will be lifted from these dark times by watching Sheffield United v Burnley with no crowd there. In fact people have probably started to question why they pay good money to watch games they don't give a shit about

Sky only get about 750,000 viewers out of the UK's 66 million population watching the average Premier League match so its only 1% of the nations soul that would be uplifted watching Sheff Utd v Burnley.

From a quick google search Sky got 800,000 viewers for Man City v Liverpool  and 900,000 viewers for Chelsea v Arsenal in 2017/18.If ITV stuck repeats of Crossroads on they'd be getting bigger figures

17 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

June 13th is the date branded about this morning for the premier league re start 

My thoughts on all this seem to change from day to day. Was listening to the debate on Talksport last night Goldstein and Cundy and it just left me feeling completely down about it all, they and most callers think no football crowd or no crowd until theres a vaccine, potentially no Euros either to help catch up.

And then you see things like PL still aiming for June restart. There's a disconnect somewhere. Just wish we could flick a switch and be suddenly at our first game back with fans.

23 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

June 13th is the date branded about this morning for the premier league re start 

If 1 player catches Covid and Dies or someone dies who they come into contact with can you imagine the ramifications, cannot see it happening, all leagues need to be cancelled, this silliness needs to end. 

4 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

My thoughts on all this seem to change from day to day. Was listening to the debate on Talksport last night Goldstein and Cundy and it just left me feeling completely down about it all, they and most callers think no football crowd or no crowd until theres a vaccine, potentially no Euros either to help catch up.

And then you see things like PL still aiming for June restart. There's a disconnect somewhere. Just wish we could flick a switch and be suddenly at our first game back with fans.

Caught some of that talksport 

yeah I know what you mean think it’s got to the stage now where people ain’t arsed It’s getting boring the longer it drags 

3 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

If 1 player catches Covid and Dies or someone dies who they come into contact with can you imagine the ramifications, cannot see it happening, all leagues need to be cancelled, this silliness needs to end. 

I get you mate just posting what I’ve read this morning, Rudy might shed some light later 

plus it’s fine the premier league wanting this but ultimately the government will make that call? 

13 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Any excuse to form a European super club league, some want it, especially the likes of PSG because the French league doesn't have many so-called big clubs.

Agreed, I'm sure PSG would be one of these clubs happy to play league games in New York and Shanghai to spread their brand too.

15 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Monaco FC average attendance 2018/19 = 8447, and i think they finished Runners Up

True but their attendances have always been dire, likes of Marseille, Nantes, St Etienne, Lyon etc get massive crowds.

Standard is shite though, real shite.

Gerald Cid was young player of the year before moving to us.

3 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Bordeaux dont do to bad either, along with Lille and Lens when they are in Lique 1. Its just that its filled with probably 12 to 14 clubs whobwould struggle to break 14k. Its like having 12 Bournemouth's! 

Some lovely aways though haha

• Members

I’m just relaying this back from what my gaffer has told me from his meeting 

One of the main issues that has come up is the issue of insurance. Insurance companies aren’t pleased that clubs may be resuming playing during a pandemic. Especially now that the top Medical chief at FIFA has said no football should be played before September.

Players could potentially have policies voided if they go against government advice.

Some clubs want to resume in the PL behind closed doors but haven’t put a plan in place as to how this could realistically happen.

UEFA have said you can’t pick and choose competitions, if you close down the league then in theory that’s it for all competitions.

Ligue 1 didn’t consult UEFA, The French government did it and UEFA aren’t best pleased but they can’t overturn a government decision.

Chelsea have asked a PL secretary, how many staff would they need to operate a behind closed doors stadium, they don’t know.

In regards to training, they asked how do you social distance football training, how can training be operated on limited staffIng levels? Would those staff have to live together in isolation, again it’s something they’re looking into(they don’t know)

Is there the facility and capacity to test everyone  who would need to be in a stadium, something they’re looking into (they don’t know) 

What I’ve got so far

46 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Any excuse to form a European super club league, some want it, especially the likes of PSG because the French league doesn't have many so-called big clubs.

I think all the big clubs want it - and it'll happen eventually, this might just speed things up a bit

14 minutes ago, Rudy’s Message said:

One of the main issues that has come up is the issue of insurance. Insurance companies aren’t pleased that clubs may be resuming playing during a pandemic. Especially now that the top Medical chief at FIFA has said no football should be played before September.

Players could potentially have policies voided if they go against government advice.

Some clubs want to resume in the PL behind closed doors but haven’t put a plan in place as to how this could realistically happen.

UEFA have said you can’t pick and choose competitions, if you close down the league then in theory that’s it for all competitions.

Ligue 1 didn’t consult UEFA, The French government did it and UEFA aren’t best pleased but they can’t overturn a government decision.

Chelsea have asked a PL secretary, how many staff would they need to operate a behind closed doors stadium, they don’t know.

In regards to training, they asked how do you social distance football training, how can training be operated on limited staffIng levels? Would those staff have to live together in isolation, again it’s something they’re looking into(they don’t know)

Is there the facility and capacity to test everyone  who would need to be in a stadium, something they’re looking into (they don’t know) 

What I’ve got so far

Seems a big head fuck 

just pull the plug now 

23 minutes ago, Rudy’s Message said:

What I’ve got so far

I think this is heading for abandoning the season for all leagues. In which case I think they should honour automatic promotion places but no relegation. Then adjust all the league sizes accordingly.  22 team Prem with 4 relegated teams for the next two seasons. Liverpool to be given the championship.

• Members
21 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

I think this is heading for abandoning the season for all leagues. In which case I think they should honour automatic promotion places but no relegation. Then adjust all the league sizes accordingly.  22 team Prem with 4 relegated teams for the next two seasons. Liverpool to be given the championship.

The longer it goes on the more likely that’s going to happen.

• Members
25 minutes ago, Ani said:

The old Palace chairman on talksport just raised that if player is made to play and then catches the virus and dies, is that Corporate manslaughter ? 

How can the government lay such rules down in everyday life but give the go ahead for sport to crack on? 
They’re on about social distancing for the rest of the year but the PL want the league to restart. Utter nonsense.

• Site Supporter

There is absolutely no way this season is being finished. 

All the discussions in the media are merely lip service to keep news ticking.

We are not far from swinging the conversation from "should 19/20" finish, to "should 20/21" start.

Edited by HomerJay