Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Paddy and Bruce

Dr Faustus

Just read this snippet on the club website. I knew about the car, but this is ace

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2020/june/mcateer-on-a-father-son-like-relationship-with-bruce-rioch-at-bolton/

He was a brilliant manager. He was tough. I remember another time in training and an incident with Mark Patterson. Mark Patterson was the hardest player in the world. Paddy would smash anything, and Bruce was watching from the side-line when Paddy went right through me – cut me in half!’

‘He could have ended my career, it was a naughty tackle. We got to half time and I was limping around but I got on with it. At half-time, Bruce was doing a bit of a team talk and he says to one of the kids: ‘Sit down, I’m coming on for the second half.’ He came on and I swear to God, he smashed Mark Patterson with the most ruthless tackle you’ve ever seen. Then, he stood over him and it was as if to say ‘Don’t bully the kids, because there’s a bigger and harder person than you, and it’s me!’

2 hours ago, Dr Faustus said:

Just read this snippet on the club website. I knew about the car, but this is ace

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2020/june/mcateer-on-a-father-son-like-relationship-with-bruce-rioch-at-bolton/

He was a brilliant manager. He was tough. I remember another time in training and an incident with Mark Patterson. Mark Patterson was the hardest player in the world. Paddy would smash anything, and Bruce was watching from the side-line when Paddy went right through me – cut me in half!’

‘He could have ended my career, it was a naughty tackle. We got to half time and I was limping around but I got on with it. At half-time, Bruce was doing a bit of a team talk and he says to one of the kids: ‘Sit down, I’m coming on for the second half.’ He came on and I swear to God, he smashed Mark Patterson with the most ruthless tackle you’ve ever seen. Then, he stood over him and it was as if to say ‘Don’t bully the kids, because there’s a bigger and harder person than you, and it’s me!’

I’ll ask Patterson about this next time I see him. 

• Site Supporter

Worked on Burnden back in the day, I was building toilet blocks in the Burnden stand it was pre season and the players were using the gym and 5 a side pitch at the back, I went down to get some concrete block and Patterson was waiting to go on the pitch as he waited he was belting a ball up at the old corrugated cladding which was already in a bad state, it was cooking hot and I was a bit pissed off lugging these blocks around and his actions annoyed me so I told him to stop it he got a bit stroppy but I was a little older than him and a lot bigger than him and he backed down sharpish when I faced him up.

landscaper eh? anyone else visualise trenches dug stud deep via the ankles? 

still maintain if he played in the 95 final rather than MacDonald, we'd have beat the bin dippers. McManamanaman would've been twatted in 20 mins

Loved Paddy, especially his left footed head busting volleys

1 hour ago, Morizio said:

Does landscaping. Has two fb profiles and can often be found in the anchor, darwen midweek and darwen town centre on Saturdays. 

Saw him in Barristers a couple of years ago having a quiet pint.  Wish I could go tomorrow or the day after.

46 minutes ago, Dr Faustus said:

landscaper eh? anyone else visualise trenches dug stud deep via the ankles? 

still maintain if he played in the 95 final rather than MacDonald, we'd have beat the bin dippers. McManamanaman would've been twatted in 20 mins

Loved Paddy, especially his left footed head busting volleys

It was Greeny that McManaman was running rings round.  To be fair it would have taken more than 1 more player to get us a result that day.  A 2-1 defeat, and the goal of the game, was more than enough for me that day.

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

It was Greeny that McManaman was running rings round.  To be fair it would have taken more than 1 more player to get us a result that day.  A 2-1 defeat, and the goal of the game, was more than enough for me that day.

James had a good game as well iirc, pulled off some great saves at 0-0

4 hours ago, Ghana White said:

Bumped into Patterson a few years in a row in darwen after we played Blackburn. Absolutely sorted bloke  remembered us everytime told us loads of stories. If you see him mention his volley against millwall and you'll not meet a nicer bloke.

Ill second that. Brilliant on those Blackburn trips.