Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Manly Clothing thread

Rudy

9 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Carrying on from me being anything but a fashionista, I just don’t get expensive watches. I’ve got a citizen (I think). It tells me the time. 
The expensive watches to me look like cheap, tacky fairground prizes. They obviously aren’t but they’re not for me

I wear a Fitbit and soon to be upgraded to a polar running watch that’s about the extent of my love in for watches. More interested in tracking my activity and heart rate nowadays 

5 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

I sold a pair of Gucci trainers and a pair of dolce and Gabbana trainers on eBay couple of months ago. Paid 275 for Gucci and 250 for the d and g about 7 years ago. Hardly worn either and certainly not for over 4 years. Got more for them than I paid for both by some distance as well. Both trainers now going for over 450 brand new so these were effectively a bargain for someone. Might bang some of my SI jackets/jumpers on that I don’t really wear anymore due to colour and size 

Get them on stone island Facebook groups etc people still pay decent dosh better in your pocket. 

Has anyone got a Canada Goose winter coat, or know anything about them ? I was told they are very good.

They seem quite expensive - to me - but i've seen quite a few scutters in what i presume are snide ones. Asking for a friend, I wonder where they come from.

• Members
Just now, bolton va va said:

Has anyone got a Canada Goose winter coat, or know anything about them ? I was told they are very good.

They seem quite expensive - to me - but i've seen quite a few scutters in what i presume are snide ones. Asking for a friend, I wonder where they come from.

Yeah they’re decent cheaper version of a mon cler 

3 hours ago, gonzo said:

You won’t get better deals on mid range stuff than terraces menswear. They’ve got an outlet on Freeport near me as well an ace website. Dirt cheap and great deals.

Some ugly shit on their website

10 minutes ago, bolton va va said:

Snide ones aplenty on eBay pal if you go on 

I’ve got a goose body warmer/gilet. Decent tackle and a better fit than moncler for a sturdier build like me

1 hour ago, Escobarp said:

Snide ones aplenty on eBay pal if you go on 

I’ve got a goose body warmer/gilet. Decent tackle and a better fit than moncler for a sturdier build like me

That Moncler stuff is fucking expensive, jeysus.

It's funny how certain brands/labels come and go, earlier someone said they'd be slaughtered for wearing Ben Sherman, yet they were one of the coolest labels around on the terraces way back in the day.

Lacoste seems to still be going strong, although i would imagine anyone under 25 wouldn't be seen dead wearing it, i remember buying my first Lacoste polo in 1983 and thought it was the dogs, it was still going strong 10 years later, i also remember buying my first Fred Perry polo in 1979 around the time of the mod/ska revival, it lasted very well - in fact,longer than the mod/ska revival 😂. FP seemed to fall out of favour a few years back, but seems to be back strong now. It’s all cyclical.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

• Members
1 minute ago, little whitt said:

I don't where underwere never done since I was 16

and socks I never were the same pair twice 

I were them once and bin them have done for the past 10 years 

Even in Germany?

8 hours ago, bolton va va said:

Got 2, a bubble one which to be honest look good but I think is shit. And a (chilliwack) fur hood bomber jacket, that’s a fucking beast.

Still to this day the best jacket I have is Also one of my cheapest purchases, a tog 24 brown leather flying jacket (think rocky 4) had it nearly 20 years now and it’s still going strong 

Edited by royal white

Depop Seems to be the place to buy and sell at the minute. Some great deals on CP and Stone island stuff, great for selling too. 

Wish my wife would’ve sold my collection on there rather chopping up and entire wardrobe of the stuff in 2011 :) 

29 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Depop Seems to be the place to buy and sell at the minute. Some great deals on CP and Stone island stuff, great for selling too. 

Wish my wife would’ve sold my collection on there rather chopping up and entire wardrobe of the stuff in 2011 :) 

Didn’t think many people who go on Depop would be into Lonsdale 😉

• Site Supporter
13 hours ago, Rudy said:

I find the sizing of Lacoste funny. 

See, I think Lacoste sizing is really consistent if you stick to the classic stuff. It all goes to pot when they introduce slimline, skinny fit etc.

I'm always a 5 in Lacoste, M in Fred Perry & XL in Stone Island. I think that you get to know the sizing of a brand when you buy it on a regular basis.

It's a shame that SI has been taken over by the pavement dancers because as Esco says earlier, their stuff is expensive but it lasts forever & they're the most innovative with fabrics & design.

I can't get Levi's jeans to fit me though - I always struggle with their sizing. Nudie & Edwin are the choice for me.

It's a shame that Ben Sherman haven't moved with the times though. Us older ones remember their shirts as the coolest thing to be seen in at the weekends, whether it was in the Lever End or at the Palais. Fred Perry have reinvented themselves and most of their stuff is decent quality. I daren't go into their Manchester store as I know that I'll come out with a lighter wallet.

You just have to pay the prices for the quality imo. Moncler & Fjallraven jackets have been my recent weakness.

Dare I mention Pantherella? Life's too short for cheap socks. 😉

Meanwhile, my latest purchase below. 😄

https://lac-pl.akinoncdn.com/products/2020/05/22/124091/a07a398b-36e8-40c6-bafb-5cf22a38c42a_size2000x2000_cropCenter.jpg

• Members
26 minutes ago, Steejay said:

See, I think Lacoste sizing is really consistent if you stick to the classic stuff. It all goes to pot when they introduce slimline, skinny fit etc.

I'm always a 5 in Lacoste, M in Fred Perry & XL in Stone Island. I think that you get to know the sizing of a brand when you buy it on a regular basis.

It's a shame that SI has been taken over by the pavement dancers because as Esco says earlier, their stuff is expensive but it lasts forever & they're the most innovative with fabrics & design.

I can't get Levi's jeans to fit me though - I always struggle with their sizing. Nudie & Edwin are the choice for me.

It's a shame that Ben Sherman haven't moved with the times though. Us older ones remember their shirts as the coolest thing to be seen in at the weekends, whether it was in the Lever End or at the Palais. Fred Perry have reinvented themselves and most of their stuff is decent quality. I daren't go into their Manchester store as I know that I'll come out with a lighter wallet.

You just have to pay the prices for the quality imo. Moncler & Fjallraven jackets have been my recent weakness.

Dare I mention Pantherella? Life's too short for cheap socks. 😉

Meanwhile, my latest purchase below. 😄

https://lac-pl.akinoncdn.com/products/2020/05/22/124091/a07a398b-36e8-40c6-bafb-5cf22a38c42a_size2000x2000_cropCenter.jpg

I’ll always like Stone Island always been my go to. I have coats from them and Barbour that are 10 years plus and still look the same, especially the wax ones because I get them re-waxed. 
Say you pay £400 for a SI, it’s gonna last you 10 years, £40 a year, if I went to buy a coat for £40 it wouldn’t last a year and I’d have to buy a new one, like Esco said false economy. 

I went to buy a Mon Cler coat when I tried it on I just didn’t like it, but the jumpers and polos are quality.

Pretty Green is a brand I swerve, couple of T-shirt’s that didn’t wash well And a parka that was poor as well.

10 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Always go a size up on cp & si

However with stone island many outlets buy from different suppliers so a large from one is a medium from another

online is the way forward but I’m a fussy sod can’t beat trying things on first 

Very inconsistent sizing. Also massively differing over time. I’ve an SI jumper from about 8 years ago that is 2 sizes smaller On the label than the same jumper would be now.

• 3 weeks later...

Having a clear out and found an old Paul and Shark jumper. Out of all them kind of brands I reckon they’re the best made, it’s over 20 year old and still like new. They went a bit chavvy about 15 years ago but it looks like they’re bringing some nice new stuff back out. 

I think it’s going to be an expensive weekend with the online shopping 

Edited by royal white

• Site Supporter

Wasn’t there a number of posters back in the day who took their user names from the labels of their favourite jacket? Aquascutum, Paul&Shark. Probably even a Stone Island but I suspect it may actually have been River Island.