Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Covid-19

Spider

There's no "don't think we're ever getting rid of it" about it. 

The vaccines we currently have don't STOP transmission 

The vaccines we currently have have waning efficacy 

They are facts. 

We could jab every man woman and child simultaneously right now and we'd still have to deal with it. 

It's endemic. 

Time to crack on. 

7/10 

53 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

I was thinking about this today, I don't believe I've had it yet. Certainly not been ill and I test every three days.

I've been to festivals, packed pubs, on the tube, rammed trains, full house theatres, in Central London 3 times a week...

Just thought I would have had it by now, or perhaps these jabs really work! Who'd have thunk?

It what way do you imagine that jabs work?

• Members

Booked in for my booster this evening at the stadium.

I've been living in a covid-ridden house for the last week.  Managed to avoid it (so far) by locking myself away in the living room.  Missus has been really poorly, high temperature, coughing non-stop, etc. 

Hopefully she's over the worst of it now ... as it's exhausting keep checking on her and fetching her glasses of water.

50 minutes ago, DazBob said:

Hopefully she's over the worst of it now ... as it's exhausting keep checking on her and fetching her glasses of water.

You're all heart! 

I feel your pain though as my Mrs is milking it more than me so I'm having to pander to her, look after the kids, tidy up and also work from home. 

I struggle to find the time to spend all day on here. 

• Moderators
13 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

Yep had my booster couple of weeks ago. Mrs immediately drove to the walk in at The Etihad and was refused and told no earlier than 6 months

yeah, just checked, which is probably why I've not even been invited as I can't have it till January 9th

4 hours ago, gonzo said:

Non of it makes any sense to me mate.

Im sure I had it last year, took the test in the car at the centre thing, not sure I did it right but it came back negative. 12 months on my kids and wife all test positive yet I dont?  How can something be so transmittal yet 3 people in same household gets it and one doesn't?

Add to that my mum who worked as a nurse with covid+ patients throughout the peak of it never contracted it depsite days on end working at the vic. Yet 6 weeks after retiring fully and living like a church mouse contracted it and pegged it?

Its proper baffling.

Sorry to hear about your mum, that's really crap.

• Members
17 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

I had my second jab mid June and can book now (and have done so) assume a quirk in the system up here. 

I had my 2nd jab on 14th June but yesterday I went online and booked my booster for this evening.

Odd that some can't book until next year..?

Edit: I'm a spaz. I'm booked in for 15th Dec. Good job I just checked.

Edited by DazBob

4 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

I was thinking about this today, I don't believe I've had it yet. Certainly not been ill and I test every three days.

I've been to festivals, packed pubs, on the tube, rammed trains, full house theatres, in Central London 3 times a week...

Just thought I would have had it by now, or perhaps these jabs really work! Who'd have thunk?

That's my thinking.

My unvaccinated kid got it.  Me and her mam, both vaccinated didn't get it. It's not like we locked her in her room or anything. We just carried on living our lives.

Saying that, I've never had flu either. Maybe I'm just more highly evolved than most.🙂

10 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

That's my thinking.

My unvaccinated kid got it.  Me and her mam, both vaccinated didn't get it. It's not like we locked her in her room or anything. We just carried on living our lives.

Saying that, I've never had flu either. Maybe I'm just more highly evolved than most.🙂

The eldest got it (15) the two youngest (11 and 9) didn't so dunno.

She symptoms were tiredness and aching legs (didn't get her tested at first as that just sound like being 15!) Nothing else.

I've had bad colds but I think I'd know if I'd had flu - or so people say. So I guess I haven't had that either?

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, stevieb said:

There's no "don't think we're ever getting rid of it" about it. 

The vaccines we currently have don't STOP transmission 

The vaccines we currently have have waning efficacy 

They are facts. 

We could jab every man woman and child simultaneously right now and we'd still have to deal with it. 

It's endemic. 

Time to crack on. 

7/10 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.sky.com/story/amp/covid-19-boosters-not-only-replenish-immunity-against-transmission-but-lift-it-too-new-data-shows-12469600

Have a read. Good explanation of the two effects of the vaccine.

A 90%+ reduction in transmission is incredible. 

Maybe if everybody had their full programme of jabs then the endemic might actually be much smaller.

That applies to everyone too, young and old.

• Members

Watched 5 mins of that Jeremy Vine show yesterday morning.  They were talking about how would the UK public cope with the idea of another lockdown. Some single mum of 3 kids rang in saying she wouldn't be able to cope.  When asked if she'd had the vaccine she said no because she'd heard/read too many bad things about and wanted to know more information before she'd have it.  When asked if she got Covid and was poorly how would she cope with three young children she said she didn't know.  Fuck me.

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.sky.com/story/amp/covid-19-boosters-not-only-replenish-immunity-against-transmission-but-lift-it-too-new-data-shows-12469600

Maybe if everybody had their full programme of jabs then the endemic might actually be much smaller.

Endemic; nice

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Uninfected individuals cannot transmit so because the vaccine protects against the virus that's probably where they are getting 90% from. 

But again... The efficacy wanes... 

Screenshot_20211124-161311.jpg

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, stevieb said:

Uninfected individuals cannot transmit so because the vaccine protects against the virus that's probably where they are getting 90% from. 

But again... The efficacy wanes... 

Screenshot_20211124-161311.jpg

Your first sentence seems to be an attempt to downplay the positive effect of everyone getting their jabs.

The article does talk about waning effects and the excellent (perhaps surprising) increase in transmission protection provided by the booster. A greater effect than after two.

With such impressive numbers, if more folk had them, then clearly numbers of infections, missed school and work would drop.

Then there'd be no talk or further lockdowns, passports, nor rants from expats in Spain-who seems to have gone a bit quiet.by the way.

1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Your first sentence seems to be an attempt to downplay the positive effect of everyone getting their jabs.

Then there'd be no talk or further lockdowns, passports, nor rants from expats in Spain-who seems to have gone a bit quiet.by the way.

No just saying I read the vaccine surveillance report where your article, I presume, pulled the data from and it doesn't seem as straightforward a way of calculating the reduction in transmission as first appears.

And he has gone quiet hasn't he... Funny that. 

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Dont think anything stops it spreading, it just stops people getting so ill they need to go to hospital.

The vaccine clearly does help in reducing the spread.

Doesn't really matter how that fact comes about: if as stevie is pointing out, it's because people are not infectious, then that is precisely what is wanted from the vaccine. In fact, I don't know how it would work otherwise- no doubt virologist can explain.