Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Tea bags.

4 hours ago, Youri McAnespie said:

One of two of the eight (not seven, eight) I've not been to (the desolate looking El Hierro t'other)...

La Graciosa, off Lanzarote, is now considered the Eighth - you can get a permit and camp for free at a site with limited amenities, any cheapskates out there, cough NiC, cough)...

Anyway, it's looking like I'll never see the greenest Canary Isle (named after dogs not birds btw) as it's going to break in two, one half falling in the sea and causing a MegaTsunami that will take out the Eastern Seaboard of the USA, this time a week on Friday.

Presa canario... Fucking beast dogs. 

We stayed at an all Inc with the kids la palma Princess. 

The main town is supposed to be nice to stay in for those with disposable income and a rational hatred of parenthood 😉

44 minutes ago, stevieb said:

Presa canario... Fucking beast dogs. 

We stayed at an all Inc with the kids la palma Princess. 

The main town is supposed to be nice to stay in for those with disposable income and a rational hatred of parenthood 😉

I've heard Santa Cruz De La Palma is a bit of a Torquay of The Canaries...

Seen quite a few Presas about, they really are throwbacks...

Either nicked off the Locals by the Romans or took there by them, either way they'll have bit many a Braveheart Jock's arse trying to jump over or pissing against Hadrian's wall I bet.

Really interesting the history of The Canaries...

From The Guanches, Romans etc. Last known place on the edge of the world when Columbus mooched off to India...

Nelson lost his arm in the Battle of Tenerife - they reckon' they've still got the actual cannon that fucked him up.

I always use the main city/town of the islands as a base, done the resorts and got bored as fuck...

Edited by Youri McAnespie

Tend to have a lemon & ginger tea in the morning. And on the very odd occasion, a decaf tea with skimmed milk in the evening. Tea bag left to settle for 5 mins before the milk goes in. 

Was brought up on PG as a kid. The “Carling” of tea bags IMO.

Much prefer Yorkshire. 

Lastly, my MIL often buys me the Pukka selection. Some good stuff in that box. 

Edited by Smiley

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Lancashire Tea or Yorkshire Gold in my house.

I once tried Rooibos tea (it's not actually tea but it's often considered to be). Fucking hell fire. The smell alone made me heave. I never actually got to the stage of tasting it and never will.

I've had red bush stuff before- some friends who'd lived in South Africa made it for us, and I enjoyed it.

• Site Supporter
12 hours ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Each to their own, of course. It is increasingly popular, but something in it obviously just rubs me up the wrong way.

I've bought some since which wasn't good. Reckon it's just like normal tea, some of it is good, some is shite.

Not sure what brand I was given initially; may have even been from SA itself. 

• Site Supporter

Nope. Just seems to produce a decent brew. Discovered by accident when a work colleague had brought some back from ireland and id run out of me Yorkshire tea bags. Stuck with them since. Sell thompsons in Morrisons but not seem them elsewhere. 

ps Eamon Holmes told me they were the best 🧨

Edited by White on Tyne

20 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

Lancashire tea if I can get it, Yorkshire tea is the standard, and if I’m over in Harrogate seeing relatives I’ll always buy a shit load of Betty’s loose leaf tea which is supreme

Lancashire tea is it.

5 hours ago, White on Tyne said:

ps Eamon Holmes told me they were the best 🧨

As if he'd know...

The only liquids that've passed his greedy drink-chapped lips in ten years are; Complimentary Champagne and Wine, Jameson's and ice (when there's a free bar), Murphy's Stout (he rubbished Guinness and praised Murphy's on GMTV on no less than SEVENTEEN different occasions during that tournament both N. Ireland and Ireland qualified - they have since sent him 34 cases a year gratis for the plug), pôitin (his 'lifeblood') and his own piss - when he's been to drunk to stand and pissed in his pôitin tankard, forgot about it and gone back to being comatose before waking with the shakes and downing the tankard (thinking it to be pôitin).

He hasn't had 'tea' since an 'incident' (severe pôitin withdrawal) on set of GMTV in 2008, and the mug actually contained Bailey's and a triple Jameson's...

I saw sommat about them 'washing' coffee beans to decaffeinate them and it looked grim, christ knows how they'd do it with leaves.

This Colombian farmer had these drums of the extracted caffeine, looked like bing or whizz, he reckoned it sold for more (to 'energy' drink firms) than his coffee.

The caffeine from the same amount of beans was worth more than the beans left (for decaff).

If I have more than a single cup of tea after 9pm, guaranteed to be awake until 2am. The tannins do it.

I can have an espresso at midnight and fast asleep by half-past.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Youri McAnespie said:

I saw sommat about them 'washing' coffee beans to decaffeinate them and it looked grim, christ knows how they'd do it with leaves.

This Colombian farmer had these drums of the extracted caffeine, looked like bing or whizz, he reckoned it sold for more (to 'energy' drink firms) than his coffee.

The caffeine from the same amount of beans was worth more than the beans left (for decaff).

If I have more than a single cup of tea after 9pm, guaranteed to be awake until 2am. The tannins do it.

I can have an espresso at midnight and fast asleep by half-past.

Just been looking for someone to supply loose decaf.

A couple of places look promising though it's costly.

One gives a lot of detail on the processes: either methylene chloride as stayed before, or another solvent (acetate of some sort); water extraction (some taste loss); or co2 extraction. They use the latter for safety and taste reasons, but presumably that's where the cost comes in.

Thanks then to Kwasi for getting the fertiliser folk back making co2!