Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

January ins and out

Rudy

45 minutes ago, Farnywhite said:

Darcys season as finished in Scandinavia now but won’t be registered in the squad so will be out till January Any way  Same with politic 

Have they not made the play-offs?

I don't know because I haven't been paying much attention, but they were in the mix recently.

There's no reason we can't register Darcy, if he isn't registered already.

• Tutte and MJ out till January (most likely)
  • Sarcevic gone
  • Sheehan 9 months,
  • Comley released,
  • Crawford in Scotland...

Ok the last two never had a sniff but what was looking like our area of the pitch with most depth is now reduced to Lee and Thomason.

Can use a makeshift DM like George Johnston, and Darcy is back soon in attacking midfield (not sure exactly when), so at least there's that.

But we've essentially lost three important midfield players in MJ, Sarce and Sheehan, all in about a month.

Going to have to limp our way into January and pray we don't lose any others for too long.

Might be wise to take advantage of the loan system just to patch us up for the second half of the season. Had rotten luck so far this season with injuries. Jones, MJ, Tutte, Sheehan, Baka, John, Aimson all been out for varying lengths.

Hopefully Shazza has some hidden wonga up her sleeve and we can bolster our squad, but I think this season is quickly turning into a bit of a nightmare.

The emotion of the Stockport game has left me, and I was satisfied with the performance levels against Wycombe despite conceding a soft goal and not taking our chances (again). 

Now everyone needs to stick together, grind out some results and pray January turns our season around as it did last time.

9 hours ago, Mantra said:

• Sarcevic gone
  • Sheehan 9 months,
  • Comley released,

Ok the last two never had a sniff but what was looking like our area of the pitch with most depth is now reduced to Lee and Thomason.

Can use a makeshift DM like George Johnston, and Darcy is back soon in attacking midfield (not sure exactly when), so at least there's that.

But we've essentially lost three important midfield players in MJ, Sarce and Sheehan, all in about a month.

Going to have to limp our way into January and pray we don't lose any others for too long.

Might be wise to take advantage of the loan system just to patch us up for the second half of the season. Had rotten luck so far this season with injuries. Jones, MJ, Tutte, Sheehan, Baka, John, Aimson all been out for varying lengths.

Hopefully Shazza has some hidden wonga up her sleeve and we can bolster our squad, but I think this season is quickly turning into a bit of a nightmare.

The emotion of the Stockport game has left me, and I was satisfied with the performance levels against Wycombe despite conceding a soft goal and not taking our chances (again). 

Now everyone needs to stick together, grind out some results and pray January turns our season around as it did last time.

👍

One or two loans may be in January. Can’t see many free transfers being available so it’s going to be a case of spending money on transfer fees .  
Do we have the funds to do that no idea . 

Out of interests anyone know the last find we actually paid a fee for a player must be a long time back may be when Lennon was here ? 

3 minutes ago, Farnywhite said:

One or two loans may be in January. Can’t see many free transfers being available so it’s going to be a case of spending money on transfer fees .  

Out of interests anyone know the last find we actually paid a fee for a player must be a long time back may be when Lennon was here ? 

I don’t know but wish Wigan would do a Bury and we could nick their best players for nowt. Power & Lang for 2. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

8 minutes ago, Farnywhite said:

I think it was Josh Magennis for £200,000.

That's if we're not counting Christian Doidge. 😀

54 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Are there any free agents about, Jon Obi Michel, 34 as an example ?

And have we fuck all in the reserves, that is what used to happen years, they would step up. We had 2 young uns on the bench yesterday, although they didn't get on the pitch. 

Adam Clayton is on a free. Manchester lad too so might fancy a move to this part of the world.....

1 hour ago, Mr Grey said:

Are there any free agents about, Jon Obi Michel, 34 as an example ?

And have we fuck all in the reserves, that is what used to happen years, they would step up. We had 2 young uns on the bench yesterday, although they didn't get on the pitch. 

Would of thought most free transfers are going to be players already out of contract and with no club . By the time you get them up to speed the season is over .
May be one of two contracted players who clubs might want of the wage bill might be available on frees in January . 
loans might be the best option unless there is money to spend 

Bare minimum for January we need:

Cover for MJ

Replacement for Sheehan

Cover for Dixon

Cover for Jones

ideally those players coming in should not just be seen as squad fillers but actual competitors to those who already start.

If we can stretch the budget far enough it would be great to upgrade on Delfouneso/Kachunga too, and considering how leaky our defence has been we probably also need a new centreback but I think the positions above are higher priority right now

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Mantra said:

Cover for MJ

Replacement for Sheehan

Cover for Dixon

Cover for Jones

ideally those players coming in should not just be seen as squad fillers but actual competitors to those who already start.

If we can stretch the budget far enough it would be great to upgrade on Delfouneso/Kachunga too, and considering how leaky our defence has been we probably also need a new centreback but I think the positions above are higher priority right now

You missed replacement for Kachunga 

• Site Supporter
43 minutes ago, Mantra said:

Cover for MJ

Replacement for Sheehan

Cover for Dixon

Cover for Jones

Not sure how many spaces we have available. 

It's ok saying replace sheehan for example, but they'll have worked out who they want to add to the midfield already. Maybe why comley went, to make room.

Some juggling act needed.

16 hours ago, Mantra said:

• Sarcevic gone
  • Sheehan 9 months,
  • Comley released,

Great post.  I mentioned on the Wycombe thread that there's only 16 games left post-transfer deadline, nothing like half the season and 5 less than same period last year.  We can't afford to wait, IE needs to get the most out of what he has now and Feb onwards will take care of itself to an extent with a full and/or strengthened squad to choose from.

1 hour ago, MickyD said:

You missed replacement for Kachunga 

"If we can stretch the budget far enough it would be great to upgrade on Delfouneso/Kachunga too"

Would have been higher up my list if we hadn't suffered a load of fresh injuries to be honest.

I also don't think he's as bad as a lot of people make out. He'll do for now but he's not in Dapo's league

25 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Not sure how many spaces we have available. 

It's ok saying replace sheehan for example, but they'll have worked out who they want to add to the midfield already. Maybe why comley went, to make room.

Some juggling act needed.

fair point. They;ll probably have to do some fresh scouting and we can de-register Sheehan in January so that adds another space

27 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Great post.  I mentioned on the Wycombe thread that there's only 16 games left post-transfer deadline, nothing like half the season and 5 less than same period last year.  We can't afford to wait, IE needs to get the most out of what he has now and Feb onwards will take care of itself to an extent with a full and/or strengthened squad to choose from.

Fingers crossed we will have done most of our business by mid January so that will be more like 18 or 19 games with an upgraded squad.

MJ and Tutte should be back by then, Darcy will be back, maybe we'll recall Politic too.

Looking at our fixtures in November and December, they're all more winnable fixtures than the ones we've had in October, so even with a depleted squad I'm hopeful that we'll pick up enough points to keep us in a relatively safe position.

4 hours ago, kent_white said:

Adam Clayton is on a free. Manchester lad too so might fancy a move to this part of the world.....

Always rated Clayton from what I saw at Hudds and Boro, not sure if he's still any good, but only 32.  Signed a 2 year deal last season at Birmingham then left by mutual consent a couple of weeks ago, a bit strange but he'll be free to get himself another club, realistically no longer in the championship so not the worst shout for us.

• Site Supporter
7 hours ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I think it was Josh Magennis for £200,000.

That's if we're not counting Christian Doidge. 😀

Yup, the one before that was about 3 seasons before..

going through wiki and some of the players we've released would do a job, didn't know Vela went on a free.

12 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

We can't sign him because he wasn't a free agent when the last transfer window closed.

Would that only apply if he was registered at Birmingham at the beginning of the season? if he was left out of the squad like how Comley was, wouldn't he be available to be registered before Jan? 

4 minutes ago, mikepearson said:

Would that only apply if he was registered at Birmingham at the beginning of the season? if he was left out of the squad like how Comley was, wouldn't he be available to be registered before Jan? 

No, if he was still under contract he has to either sign for a non-league club or wait until January.