Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

League 1 - What’s your verdict?

Burndens Bogs

Honestly think the standard of football across L1 is awful as a whole but it's definitely a sweet spot for enjoyment.

Mate of mine has been to City a lot in recent years through his work and after coming to games this season has bought his first ever ST because him and his lad have enjoyed it that much.

Not sure how about the standard compared to years gone by but this must be as competitive as it has ever been with the size of the clubs that are in this division now.

Us, Sunderland, Wigan, Pompey, Charlton, Ipswich, Sheffield Weds have all played in the top division not too long ago.

Plus all the teams that are very solid teams at this level like Plymouth, Wycombe, Oxford, Rotherham.

Been some awesome moments like Sunderland 6-0, and some awful ones like Wigan 4-0. Overall, an enjoyable campaign.

This probably goes without saying but, whenever I see a Premier League match now after watching League One football most weeks, the gulf is absolutely massive. The control, technique, pace in the Premier League is unreal.

So in a sense, our tour of the lower leagues in recent years has given me a greater appreciation not only of the lower league teams but also the quality of the top divisions. Two things I probably took for granted during the BSA years.

34 minutes ago, Mantra said:

This probably goes without saying but, whenever I see a Premier League match now after watching League One football most weeks, the gulf is absolutely massive. The control, technique, pace in the Premier League is unreal.

So in a sense, our tour of the lower leagues in recent years has given me a greater appreciation not only of the lower league teams but also the quality of the top divisions. Two things I probably took for granted during the BSA years.

That’s because the Premier league is totally different than when we graced it, much faster & more aggressive.

2 hours ago, Mantra said:

Agreed.  Its frightening to see how good some Prem teams can be (aside from Everton's defending), and even top end Championship at times. Not the big boys, but the next level down like Villa, Leicester, Wolves, Palace, their standard looks completely unattainable in the next 10 years to me, let's be realistic.  If we can aspire to be a PNE, Rovers or QPR, with half a chance of challenging the play offs, I'd be very happy with that. 

For now, in L1 I enjoy it when we make a mistake on the halfway line, and it doesn't result in the away team getting a decent shot on target, and I always think "that would have been buried in the championship".  There are some strong and organised teams in L1 but the finishing is generally ponderous and there's a real lack of pace (apart from Fossey!). Looking forward to seeing how IE develops this team now that we've seen what L1 has to offer.

• 3 weeks later...

A funny old season. Any other year we’d have been in the play offs, and even then we’d have been up there but for the mid season wobble. Rare to have enjoyed a season so much, particularly mid-table in the third tier, but a season and a half of not being allowed in the grounds does that to you. Hat tip to the good folk of WWays who make me a smile on a daily basis and always good for a beer in whichever godforsaken town we find ourselves. Roll on next season. 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, radcliffe white said:

Easy chances at Cambridge/Sunderland & Wednesday but no real complaints we go again 

Thing is, Charles has missed some sitters of late.

When you look at the overall stats, he stacks up reasonably well.

Team also get better overall in January. 

That said, Charles is undeniably an upgrade, so we've moved forward.

I’d you’d have told me that we’d finish above Ipswich and Pompey then I’d have assumed we’d be top end of the play offs at least.

Form since Jan has us in automatics, we know Evatt will have us stronger next year. Can’t wait 

The squad from transfer window onwards in January is so much stronger than from start of the season it’s unrecognisable. We had a great start and probably over achieved I’ve got faith in Evatt to get us up next season but it won’t be easy . 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Eddie said:

I’d you’d have told me that we’d finish above Ipswich and Pompey then I’d have assumed we’d be top end of the play offs at least.

Likewise I'd have taken 73 points, as would've thought we'd be making the play offs

I've loved the way we've played on the whole, since the Ipswich game.  But just to add a bit of realism and "we need to improve", I wonder if the fixtures have been a bit kind?  That sounds ridiculous when it includes half the season, but 11 of our wins have been against a lot of poor teams (6 home wins v Accy or below, 5 away wins at Cheltenham, Shrews and 3 dire relegated teams).  No denying our 3 superb wins v Ipswich, Sunderland and Oxford but they seem so long ago!  5 draws, v Morecambe twice, Wigan, Pompey and Sheff Wed, where we had to get late equalisers every time (that's fantastic but no "unlucky" draws, we were grateful for all 5 of those points).  Lost to Wycombe, Burton, MK Dons and Plymouth comfortably.  No disgrace in that, I'm just missing the feeling that we could take on a top 6 team next week and beat them over 2 legs.  IE will know that, he won't be fooled by the last 8 games when we weren't properly tested if we're honest.  Roll on the summer and next season, if we're even top 8 consistently it will be a season to remember. 

3 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I've loved the way we've played on the whole, since the Ipswich game.  But just to add a bit of realism and "we need to improve", I wonder if the fixtures have been a bit kind?  That sounds ridiculous when it includes half the season, but 11 of our wins have been against a lot of poor teams (6 home wins v Accy or below, 5 away wins at Cheltenham, Shrews and 3 dire relegated teams).  No denying our 3 superb wins v Ipswich, Sunderland and Oxford but they seem so long ago!  5 draws, v Morecambe twice, Wigan, Pompey and Sheff Wed, where we had to get late equalisers every time (that's fantastic but no "unlucky" draws, we were grateful for all 5 of those points).  Lost to Wycombe, Burton, MK Dons and Plymouth comfortably.  No disgrace in that, I'm just missing the feeling that we could take on a top 6 team next week and beat them over 2 legs.  IE will know that, he won't be fooled by the last 8 games when we weren't properly tested if we're honest.  Roll on the summer and next season, if we're even top 8 consistently it will be a season to remember. 

Fair points, we probably would fall just short against some of the playoff teams this season over two legs but we're not far off them. I think we could beat Wycombe and Sunderland right now. Sheffield and MK would be sterner tests.

A few new faces and a settled pre-season and we will definitely be in contention next season. 6th place is my minimum expectation for 22/23. We know we can beat the dross teams comfortably but we need to improve in the shit conditions on bad pitches against physical football. In an open game against better opposition we need to stop conceding first and then chasing the game, but other than that we're more than a match for anyone in this league.

13 minutes ago, Mantra said:

Fair points, we probably would fall just short against some of the playoff teams this season over two legs but we're not far off them. I think we could beat Wycombe and Sunderland right now. Sheffield and MK would be sterner tests.

A few new faces and a settled pre-season and we will definitely be in contention next season. 6th place is my minimum expectation for 22/23. We know we can beat the dross teams comfortably but we need to improve in the shit conditions on bad pitches against physical football. In an open game against better opposition we need to stop conceding first and then chasing the game, but other than that we're more than a match for anyone in this league.

Agree with that.  From my point of view, improvement would be to be challenging, like for eg Oxford and Plymouth this season.  They fell short, but what seasons they had, I still find it incredible that Plymouth missed out, they've given their fans some great days.  This season for us had some real low points when we weren't sure if we were looking up or down, it would be a big improvement to get properly established in the top 8 and to never have to look over our shoulders.  And obviously to improve against the top teams.  7 points in 14 games against the top 7 is the reason we aren't one of those teams, without checking results its reasonable to assume none of the top 6 averaged a point every 2 games against the other contenders.  Let's go to a Derby or Sunderland and show them what we can do.