Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

England Lionesses

gonzo

20 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Does everyone watch the womens 100 meters or Wimbledon final and moan that its not as good as the mens and they should make it 80 meters or make the court smaller?

There’s always the upside many women swimmers, athletes are good to look at… my favourites are the hockey types. 👀

1 hour ago, DazBob said:

How tall is she?  Probably same height as a very small man, eg 5ft 8.

If she was the height of an average man then she'd have saved it.  You can't blame her for being short.

They should make the nets smaller :)

5ft 9 is the average height of a man. 5 ft 8 is hardly very small 😁

Back to your previous post though... There's a lot of smaller teams/countries that will stay well behind because of what women are & aren't allowed to do. Even cultures within this country. Think that's what the BBC did a shite job of trying to explain after one of the group games.

Be great for the game if more African & Asian countries could invest in it. 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, London Wanderer said:

Back to your previous post though... There's a lot of smaller teams/countries that will stay well behind because of what women are & aren't allowed to do. Even cultures within this country. Think that's what the BBC did a shite job of trying to explain after one of the group games.

5-10 for the uk according to this!

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/318155#average-height-for-males-by-region

Given the increase in height over generations, you'd imagine that footballers being young and athletic, would have an average height above that of the national average. 

A bit like basketball players. 

Wouldn't be surprised if the average professional footballer (male) is now over 6 feet tall.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, gonzo said:

Does everyone watch the womens 100 meters or Wimbledon final and moan that its not as good as the mens and they should make it 80 meters or make the court smaller?

To be fair the women only get to play best out of 3 at tennis 

• Members
6 hours ago, DazBob said:

They should make the nets smaller :)

Haven't you seen the UEFA slogan being bandied about? It's not "womens football" it's "women play football".

What you are suggesting here is sexist in the extreme. I am writing to my MP.

Cook mine til it's crispy please ;)

Cannot believe how the nation is getting behind the team.

Every single fan zone fully booked . Cars flying the St George's flag .

Pubs decorated with flags , beer gardens rammed.  Everyone glued to the television. 

The only conversation in shops , public transport,  work places .

People booking days off work or finishing early.

Every kid in the park wearing an England Shirt.

Or am I thinking of another version of the game we know and love .

Roll on next week when the football season starts .

5 hours ago, gonzo said:

This has been my argument. I reckon quiet a few watched Raducanu win the US Open and didn't give it a second thought. But the quality and decision making is women's football can be atrocious at times. Having said that the game is nowhere near as bad as it was. The WSL is a shallow pool. The game needs more competitive teams. Hopefully the success of the England team can have a positive effect on the game. But until Bolton get a team I will only give the national team my time.

1 hour ago, embankment said:

Pubs decorated with flags , beer gardens rammed.  Everyone glued to the television. 

Poor fishing, even by your standards lad.....

15 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

5-10 for the uk according to this!

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/318155#average-height-for-males-by-region

Given the increase in height over generations, you'd imagine that footballers being young and athletic, would have an average height above that of the national average. 

A bit like basketball players. 

Wouldn't be surprised if the average professional footballer (male) is now over 6 feet tall.

Aye it's 5. 11 I think. 

11 hours ago, embankment said:

Genuinely hilarious how infuriated you are getting by women playing footy 😁

In other news, looks like great fun in Leigh. Impressed by the choice of stadiums & towns made for this tournament.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62181948

FIFA, Uefa & the FA could learn something. The game we know & love is going to Qatar for a Christmas World Cup at the expense of thousand of workers who died building the stadiums.

Edited by London Wanderer

10 hours ago, Underpants said:

This has been my argument. I reckon quiet a few watched Raducanu win the US Open and didn't give it a second thought. But the quality and decision making is women's football can be atrocious at times. Having said that the game is nowhere near as bad as it was. The WSL is a shallow pool. The game needs more competitive teams. Hopefully the success of the England team can have a positive effect on the game. But until Bolton get a team I will only give the national team my time.

They have one

41 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

In other news, looks like great fun in Leigh. Impressed by the choice of stadiums & towns made for this tournament.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62181948

FIFA, Uefa & the FA could learn something. The game we know & love is going to Qatar for a Christmas World Cup at the expense of thousand of workers who died building the stadiums.

Won't lie, I was buzzing with pride at reading that article and it's been a pleasure to be a part of. Shame it's lashing it down at the minute but hopefully it'll still be a good un tonight. Other half doesn't bother watching women's football as she's constantly comparing it to men's (similar to most people tbf) but she's got a ticket for tonight just to say she's been a part of it in our town.

43 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Won't lie, I was buzzing with pride at reading that article and it's been a pleasure to be a part of. Shame it's lashing it down at the minute but hopefully it'll still be a good un tonight. Other half doesn't bother watching women's football as she's constantly comparing it to men's (similar to most people tbf) but she's got a ticket for tonight just to say she's been a part of it in our town.

Brilliant 

18 hours ago, London Wanderer said:

5ft 9 can't be the average. People are still in the midget realm at that height :lol:

• Members
6 hours ago, London Wanderer said:

Not the way I took it at all. No problem with women playing football. In full support as long as I am not expected to rate it. It goes without saying that I would like England to win it.

We all know what's going to happen after the tournament though, don't we? Back to relative obscurity. Pulling power marginally better than deck quoits.

What I am waiting for is the campaign for equal pay. Pay should be pro rata with pulling power. You know full well that the first day only of the PL will be interstellar in terms of money generation compared to this entire tournament so let's keep our feet on the ground eh?

3 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Not the way I took it at all. No problem with women playing football. In full support as long as I am not expected to rate it. It goes without saying that I would like England to win it.

We all know what's going to happen after the tournament though, don't we? Back to relative obscurity. Pulling power marginally better than deck quoits.

What I am waiting for is the campaign for equal pay. Pay should be pro rata with pulling power. You know full well that the first day only of the PL will be interstellar in terms of money generation compared to this entire tournament so let's keep our feet on the ground eh?

The men are paid far too much. It's a disgrace. 

And there won't be a serious campaign for equal pay. More hysteria.

Edited by London Wanderer

• Moderators
3 hours ago, bolty58 said:

I'd be happy for a campaign for equal pay that sees men earn less 

If women want more, then they need to wait until their game has caught on