Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Meanwhile In England

royal white

8 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Yep, someone I would trust.

I'm sure you would, and that's fine - but even you must admit that's a tad on the ridiculous side - displaying football flags, and lighting your house up like Blackpool illuminations is all a bit much for what should surely be a time of reflection and remembrance, not for displaying such tat.

I'm not sure a "no surrender" flag is appropriate either are you? - I wonder if the owner will take it down to the Cenotaph on Sunday?

Put it this way, if this was a Liverpool fan, with loads of Liverpool and "You'll never walk alone" shit everywhere, we'd massively be taking the piss and calling them virtue signalers and grief junkies

4 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Put it this way, if this was a Liverpool fan, with loads of Liverpool and "You'll never walk alone" shit everywhere, we'd massively be taking the piss and calling them virtue signalers and grief junkies

Weirdly I saw a house like that in Little Hulton yesterday 

5 minutes ago, Sweep said:

I'm sure you would, and that's fine - but even you must admit that's a tad on the ridiculous side - displaying football flags, and lighting your house up like Blackpool illuminations is all a bit much for what should surely be a time of reflection and remembrance, not for displaying such tat.

I'm not sure a "no surrender" flag is appropriate either are you? - I wonder if the owner will take it down to the Cenotaph on Sunday?

My grandfather (prisoner of War in Japan for three years) would have been appalled at this sort of thing.

Gave away each one of his medals to us kids for stuff like falling over and cutting g out knees or doing well in school - no one should be rewarded for war was his thoughts on the matter.

Never spoke of it really and remembrance was a time of reflection, then to Farnworth vets for an hour and then on with life.

Life long Conservative, huge supporter of the monarchy and he would have dismissed the likes of Bolty for the irritant he is.

7 hours ago, Sweep said:

i'm not sure what it's like where you live up Halliwell, but I've noticed an alarming number of gardens with flag poles in them around here now

looks absolutely ridiclious

• Site Supporter
Just now, L/H White said:

i'm not sure what it's like where you live up Halliwell, but I've noticed an alarming number of gardens with flag poles in them around here now

Flag poles should be reserved for churches, scouts and government buildings only. Maybe large hotels too I suppose. But someone with a flag pole in the front garden of their semi in Halliwell needs their hard drive checking.

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, L/H White said:

better brits than you

prob more proud too

proud of what, you may ask....i do anyway

12 minutes ago, L/H White said:

I don't have a flag pole, but I have draped a Union Jack over the front door though, to show how loyal I am

See the source image

• Site Supporter

I actually have no issue with flagpoles.

Go to America and most houses has a Stars and Stripes hanging outside. Same in Turkey and Greece.

Bloke near me usually has a Lancashire flag flying proudly, but I’ve seen the Ukraine flag uk there, Union Jack and only once - and very randomly - he was flying the Norwegian flag.

30 minutes ago, Spider said:

Go to America and most houses has a Stars and Stripes hanging outside. Same in Turkey and Greece.

Bloke near me usually has a Lancashire flag flying proudly, but I’ve seen the Ukraine flag uk there, Union Jack and only once - and very randomly - he was flying the Norwegian flag.

Air b&b for Liverpool fans.

2 hours ago, Spider said:

Regarded as a massive slag in the flag shagging community. 

Edited by RoadRunnerFan

• Site Supporter

This sort of thing is growing unfortunately- the town does its bit with the poppies etc but sometimes they seem to be left a while before being taken back down. Limited resources perhaps, but in order to have the effect they should be put up and then taken down speedily. 

Members of the public following suit.

The memorial garden created in little Lever is good- not over the top and a tribute to those lost. That should be enough and the "competitve" approach is over the top.

1 hour ago, Ani said:

I thought 'what bollocks' when I read your post 

However..........checked and you are spot on 😎😂😂🫣

https://dejligedays.com/2017/08/29/how-to-fly-the-dannebrog/

I love all the rules about it too ! 

Great Fact - Cheers 

Other Scandinavian flags, the UN flag and the EU flag are also permitted to be flown in Denmark, but require special permission

• Members
14 hours ago, Sweep said:

I'm sure you would, and that's fine - but even you must admit that's a tad on the ridiculous side

Well I certainly wouldn't do it but if football clubs on the British mainland can fly a foreign flag in preference to our own and sinister types the Palestinian flag then it is reassuring from time to time to see displays of national pride if for no other reason than to offer some balance and the notion that we have not been completely overrun by those who would piss away in an instant what has been built by our forebears.

As far as 'no surrender' is concerned you can probably predict my response to that. An adage which is likely to gain more and more traction as polarisation leads us to where it well might.

Edited by bolty58