Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

38 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Quite.

Anyway, latest scientific study is extremely interesting. The common cold has been found to boot Covid-19 out of the body's cells.

An interesting treatment!

Corona trumps

10 minutes ago, Spider said:

You're right about opening up the UK

We should be getting back to normal no question.

But the pay off for that will have to be travel restrictions.

What if Spain is teetering on the brink of going on the red list and there are a million Brits there? They can't all just come home in a day.

It's shit, no-one likes it, but I think we may just have to do it.

Open pubs, stadiums and shops.

if Spain or any country has high rates or on red list I’d expect travel not to happen. There are other places that I can go to. This ain’t about me going to Spain. It’s about an open debate as to if the government getting this right. Sadly I think not. 

12 minutes ago, tyldesley_white said:

Every time it gets pasted on there is a chance for it to mutate, does not have to be from a high risk area at all

But the risk is higher from countries with higher infection rates, this isn’t about locking everything down forever it’s about opening up and risk mitigation against destroying the whole economy. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Mounts Kipper said:

if Spain or any country has high rates or on red list I’d expect travel not to happen. There are other places that I can go to. This ain’t about me going to Spain. It’s about an open debate as to if the government getting this right. Sadly I think not. 

The government have been chasing their tail for over a year.

Given the criticism they've received for their response being sluggish most of the time, expect them to be extremely cautious from now on.

In the main, they're shit. But as a democrat, you understand that it's another few years until we get the chance to change them, so have to just put up with it.

1 minute ago, Mounts Kipper said:

But the risk is higher from counties with higher infection rates, this isn’t about locking everything down forever it’s about opening up and risk mitigation against destroying the whole economy. 

nobody's locking it down forever. Those are your words no one elses

10 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

But the risk is higher from countries with higher infection rates, this isn’t about locking everything down forever it’s about opening up and risk mitigation against destroying the whole economy. 

I ask again...given this is Tory Govt who are 'friends of industry' compared to the red lot. Why would they continue the lockdown unless they think it is protecting the health of the nation ? I want us out of lockdown ASAP I want to go on holiday, I have even got a job I am that bored. But I more than that I do not want to come out of lockdown untill the balance of possibility is well in favour of us not needing to go back in. 

19 minutes ago, Ani said:

I ask again...given this is Tory Govt who are 'friends of industry' compared to the red lot. Why would they continue the lockdown unless they think it is protecting the health of the nation ? I want us out of lockdown ASAP I want to go on holiday, I have even got a job I am that bored. But I more than that I do not want to come out of lockdown untill the balance of possibility is well in favour of us not needing to go back in. 

I can’t answer for the government but I can question the decisions they are making, sadly this emergency power which will be extended until October hardly allows for scrutiny in parliament between now and then. 

Many Tory MPs aren’t happy about these extended powers and not getting to scrutinise the government.

That is why I hope we have a sizeable rebellion against this bill, I want the government challenging and answering some questions, I want to hear my point of view loud and clear in Parliament and I want to hear Boris being held accountable.

Amazing that Labour & the left toeing the Tory party line, another reason never to vote Labour again. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I can’t answer for the government but I can question the decisions they are making, sadly this emergency power which will be extended until October hardly allows for scrutiny in parliament between now and then. 

Many Tory MPs aren’t happy about these extended powers and not getting to scrutinise the government.

That is why I hope we have a sizeable rebellion against this bill, I want the government challenging and answering some questions, I want to hear my point of view loud and clear in Parliament and I want to hear Boris being held accountable.

Amazing that Labour & the left toeing the Tory party line, another reason never to vote Labour again. 

You get your say in 4 years.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Ani said:

You say 'no chance' but that is the great unknown. No one really knows the potential impact of the new variants and fear of those seems to be driving thinking.

I keep asking what would motivate the Govt to keep us under restrictions other than a genuine fear that the virus could return and have had no answers. The restrictions are causing the economy massive issues and the Govt gets loads of shit, there is no benefit I can see other than controlling the virus.

aye, it looks like, that at least the 3rd time of asking, the govt realise if they balls the timing up again, it could backfire, and whilst the vaccination effort is looking good, the gap between jabs is still outside of the tested and approved time scale, so chuck in variants and you can understand the caution (or you should, if you've been payuing attention over the last 12 months)

this has to be our last lockdown, like they are going to fling everything back open because we've got it down to "just" 5.5k cases a day, whilst all the vunerables still haven't been done yet - it's still more cases per day than last April FFS and the rest of Europe is going backwards because of variants (well Italy anyway)

we have a road map

you can have mates round as of next week, and a haircut and pint next month

chuck in LFTs and you can confidently have a few more mates than allowed round as long as your neighbours don't grass you up

Edited by Zico

if as the Government have said that landlords can insist on a COVID ID if they want to, where do you get them from, we can all produce a fake ID easy enough so where is the point unless the Government is going to take charge of it.

FWIW I can't see landlords being too bothered if you've had a jab or not as long as you buy beer

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Rudy said:

Did you get a sticker? Or did they go with my idea of branding people?

1 hour ago, bolton_blondie said:

Lollipop 

What?  There's a lollipop option?  I got a measly sticker and my covid passport filled out with dates and batch numbers. 

9 minutes ago, athywhite1958 said:

if as the Government have said that landlords can insist on a COVID ID if they want to, where do you get them from, we can all produce a fake ID easy enough so where is the point unless the Government is going to take charge of it.

FWIW I can't see landlords being too bothered if you've had a jab or not as long as you buy beer

And what would be the point unless vaccination stops transmission or massively reduces it. 

• Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, athywhite1958 said:

The exemption certificate will be available to print off at home from the Gov.uk website just like for face masks. 

• Site Supporter

Something i learned last night:

The 15 minute wait following both first and second Pfizer jabs is because very early on in the trials,  two nurses came out in a rash almost immediately.  Nobody since then has come out in a similar rash. 

If we've now vaccinated 20,000,000 people and 2 came out in a rash then I'd say we're overreacting in the same way as the EU did when 37 people got blood clots with the AZ vaccine. 

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

And what would be the point unless vaccination stops transmission or massively reduces it. 

to "protect" those who haven't had the jab, such as m.o.n.g.s and young bar staff yet to have the jab

last thing a pub wants is to open up then lose all their bar staff because they catch it, and shut again

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/health/covid-vaccine-results-public-health-england-b921793.html

not been confirmed yet, but that report from March 3rd says:

"“But there’s really very good signs that this is going to at least reduce infection rates across the population, and hopefully ... prevent people passing it on almost completely if they’ve been vaccinated fully.”"

no doubt we'll know more by the times the pubs are opening up on the inside

• Site Supporter
16 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Something i learned last night:

The 15 minute wait following both first and second Pfizer jabs is because very early on in the trials,  two nurses came out in a rash almost immediately.  Nobody since then has come out in a similar rash. 

If we've now vaccinated 20,000,000 people and 2 came out in a rash then I'd say we're overreacting in the same way as the EU did when 37 people got blood clots with the AZ vaccine. 

Rashes can be a sure sign of an adverse reaction to a jab, particularly if happening straight away. 

Not unreasonable to ask folk to wait briefly.

When my wife had her AZ vaccine, she was told not to drive for a few minutes afterwards, as some had reported feeling a bit dizzy or somesuch afterwards. 

The blood clot incidents happened some time later and have been investigated.

8 minutes ago, Zico said:

to "protect" those who haven't had the jab, such as m.o.n.g.s and young bar staff yet to have the jab

last thing a pub wants is to open up then lose all their bar staff because they catch it, and shut again

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/health/covid-vaccine-results-public-health-england-b921793.html

not been confirmed yet, but that report from March 3rd says:

"“But there’s really very good signs that this is going to at least reduce infection rates across the population, and hopefully ... prevent people passing it on almost completely if they’ve been vaccinated fully.”"

no doubt we'll know more by the times the pubs are opening up on the inside

If it does reduce transmission then then it does makes sense. 

2 hours ago, athywhite1958 said:

There was a bloke on the radio a couple of months back saying the Govt asked his company to look into producing a passport vaccine

Had to be something that couldn't be forged easily, contained some sort of ID but without compromising data protection, which they reckoned they could do

Won't happen in pubs though 

• Moderators

anyway, powers extended to october?

that'll become april 2022 soon enough as we will be 'entering flu season'

its wank

as an aside and in reply to zico, dont buy this shit that cases are higher than last april

we havent got a clue what cases numbers were last april

3 hours ago, athywhite1958 said:

Can anybody knock up a passport or driving licence, or are you just thinking of the fake ID you used to be able to buy when trying to get in a pub when 16, and generally didn't work