Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Breaking the rules

Burndens Bogs

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Sadly I think so, no way to run government... and they got form for it. 

It isn't, but if they're risking people's lives and health that's a broad claim.

Whilst I'm no fan of the education secretary, I'd expect better of him, or indeed anyone else in such a position. 

Thick skins are essential in that job.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Traf said:

Something else we agree on.

Can understand on some major political issue, but 'punishing' a local council for what in the scheme of things is a relatively minor disagreement, would be totally stupid, and certainly a lose lose situation.

Maybe the authority could take the government to court this time.

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

So following rules, is that sanctimonious? 

To be honest, I think this 'bending' of the rules is a bit shitty on those working hard to bring this under control and putting themselves in harms way, even if you don't agree with them. 

Common sense innit 🙄

8 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

So following rules, is that sanctimonious? 

To be honest, I think this 'bending' of the rules is a bit shitty on those working hard to bring this under control and putting themselves in harms way, even if you don't agree with them. 

But as always people will bend rules. Especially if the rules are not really clear. 
I have said before we have tried to follow the rules but late summer we decided to let Yoof see his new G/F. That was not allowed but seeing the state he was getting into. I am 100% sure it was the right thing to do. 
He has mates who have met up at each other’s houses but he has refused to go. So does that make him/us sanctimonious ? 

I honestly think the vast majority of people have tried to follow the rules the vast majority of the time.  

• Site Supporter

No doubt rule benders who get taken seriously ill with Covid will expect round the clock NHS treatment from staff who abide by the rules and sacrifice so much.

Thus putting them at risk.

Claiming to have a world view and see the bigger picture is clearly utter horseshit. Every man for himself.

• Site Supporter

Feel sorry for young uns , its a magical time and passes so quickly, its a fookin long time ago but i dont think a squadron of SAS would have kept me in the house as a teenager. Then again I don't think it would have been like this int 70's we'd have just cracked on and died.

Also thats the thing with secondary school kidsits not just in school its when they're out and about with their mates all the time. I'm not calling it out, as it is what happens but adults should probably know better.

Its no surprise my 14 year old had it but the 10 and 8 year old didn't and if she hadn't have been tested due to the school we'd have been non the wiser.

• Site Supporter

The questions probably been begged before but for anyone kicking around in the 70's would we even have batted an eyelid at the virus ? No 24hour news channels, no social media, only 25 or 30 years since the end of WW11 , life didn't seem valued the same.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Good Knee said:

The questions probably been begged before but for anyone kicking around in the 70's would we even have batted an eyelid at the virus ? No 24hour news channels, no social media, only 25 or 30 years since the end of WW11 , life didn't seem valued the same.

Know what you mean. Society has changed no doubt- not sure life is valued more now, but a greater sense of entitlement etc.

1 hour ago, Good Knee said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dancing_plague_of_2020

Edited by e2e4
boldened

• Site Supporter

I was out at 04.00 this morning doing a pick up for my local funeral parlour. The streets were full of very young (16-18) girls dressed in practically nothing. Not a coat between then. In fact, shorts and short sleeved combo on most (I believe they’re referred to as play suits.

If Covid doesn’t get them, I’m fairly sure pneumonia will!

On 31/12/2020 at 16:47, Good Knee said:

Well I guess one difference would have been the fact that so much we can do now to  mitigate things simply wouldn't have been an option. And it's not a case of having to go back to the 70s for that. This all could have kicked off in 2001 say, but connectivity back then would have meant remote working, online ordering and support mechanisms simply wouldn't have been there. Go back to the 70s and there'd be no chance of rapid vaccine development etc. But also, I suspect, the crack-on attitude would extend more to putting up with whatever measures could be taken. After all, we survived the power cuts etc.

• Site Supporter
6 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

And to think some folk are happy for the NHS to collapse so they can get on with it 

The same people who won’t be happy until the Nightingales are bursting at the seams.

So long as it doesn’t affect them

23 minutes ago, SatanGreavsie said:

Well I guess one difference would have been the fact that so much we can do now to  mitigate things simply wouldn't have been an option. And it's not a case of having to go back to the 70s for that. This all could have kicked off in 2001 say, but connectivity back then would have meant remote working, online ordering and support mechanisms simply wouldn't have been there. Go back to the 70s and there'd be no chance of rapid vaccine development etc. But also, I suspect, the crack-on attitude would extend more to putting up with whatever measures could be taken. After all, we survived the power cuts etc.

I imagine there wouldn’t have necessarily been the same level of international travel for it to spread quite so easily either.