Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

DIY projects

32 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Just picked up some trellis from Cocklestorm earlier, good weight/quality and reasonable price.

Fence panels I got for my mum a few weeks back from conquest were definitely more expensive than they were not so long ago. 

China is swallowing a lot of wood up which buggers things up.

Last year direct fencing had a 16week wait on panels! 

4 minutes ago, bolton_blondie said:

Don't fancy having to hide all my kecks 

Niece's husband is a very good decorator had him doing my house descent lad aswell even though he's a city fan pm me if you want his number 

I've been trying unsuccessfully to get some work done prior to a new kitchen going in.  WTF is it with builders and contractors these days?  Everyone one of them I've had to chase them to come out and give me a quote.  Those that have bothered to actually come round and measure up, I've had to chase them several times for the quote, a start date etc etc

I get that there are supply and demand issues at the moment.  I'd have no issue with a builder who said to me, "I can do it but cant start for 2/3/4 months" it's the constant chasing I'm having to do to spend my money! If I have to chase you several times just for a feckin quote I'm thinking you're not going to be that reliable when it comes to doing the actual job. 

I wouldn't mind too much if it were cowboys but these are reputable companies, some recommended on here!

And breathe....

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

I've been trying unsuccessfully to get some work done prior to a new kitchen going in.  WTF is it with builders and contractors these days?  Everyone one of them I've had to chase them to come out and give me a quote.  Those that have bothered to actually come round and measure up, I've had to chase them several times for the quote, a start date etc etc

I get that there are supply and demand issues at the moment.  I'd have no issue with a builder who said to me, "I can do it but cant start for 2/3/4 months" it's the constant chasing I'm having to do to spend my money! If I have to chase you several times just for a feckin quote I'm thinking you're not going to be that reliable when it comes to doing the actual job. 

I wouldn't mind too much if it were cowboys but these are reputable companies, some recommended on here!

And breathe....

As well as being very busy, some are dealing with complete cunts of customers.

14 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

As well as being very busy, some are dealing with complete cunts of customers.

Anyone that deals with the public has to deal with complete cunts sometimes, dont they?  I'm not sure why you'd make it hard for yourself by alienating potential future customers over it.

I've been trying to get my guttering/fascia renewed since October, agreed the price with one fella, still not turned up, asked 2 other still not been to give a quote, I've got the materials it just needs putting on, got to ring another bloke today who I'm told is reliable, he better be he plays for Colls

• Site Supporter
28 minutes ago, athywhite1958 said:

I've been trying to get my guttering/fascia renewed since October, agreed the price with one fella, still not turned up, asked 2 other still not been to give a quote, I've got the materials it just needs putting on, got to ring another bloke today who I'm told is reliable, he better be he plays for Colls

Your problem is that you've got the materials.

No-one likes doing labour only jobs. Installers make money on the kit too.

I get loads of people asking me for heating installers, saying "I've already bought the boiler cheap off the internet". Installers won't bother.

You'll just get shunted down their list until they have no other work on.

13 minutes ago, Spider said:

Your problem is that you've got the materials.

No-one likes doing labour only jobs. Installers make money on the kit too.

I get loads of people asking me for heating installers, saying "I've already bought the boiler cheap off the internet". Installers won't bother.

You'll just get shunted down their list until they have no other work on.

You're more than likely right, I bought the stuff last year intending to do it myself but events have put paid to that, I put coverboard on the apex fascia 2 weeks ago and that was a struggle off the ladder

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Duck Egg said:

Anyone that deals with the public has to deal with complete cunts sometimes, dont they?  I'm not sure why you'd make it hard for yourself by alienating potential future customers over it.

I've tried two companies to do some work on my flue. Neither come back to me.

Sometimes though, dealing with cunts can be time consuming and draining. Not necessarily alienating, just pissed off.

Others will also be restricted/concerned by covid. Some aren't bothered and will come to your home. Others are reluctant. 

Others just won't want the job.

Others are just mad busy and struggle to fit folk in despite wanting to help.

Just try someone else.

On 17/03/2021 at 20:16, radcliffewhite1 said:

Fence panels was rare as rocking horse shit last year noticed a big jump in price this time 

Got my last 3 being delivered next Wednesday. 

Had to be despatched over 3 deliverys . Only ordered 12. Wickes by the way. 6x6 waney lap . Decent enough . Keep prying eyes out off the West Terrace leading down to the infinity pool.