Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Blue Cards

Just now, Zico said:

Dissent fair enough but some refs are more sensitive than others 

Would even do it for diving 

Dissent is a yellow card now in theory and hardly gets given, so it would to be really bad for a blue, and even worse for a straight red, that it can be now. 

Total bollocks 

Works well in Rugby League. But….

So does the video ref

And the refs, in general, are pretty good

And it’s sin bin or off 

And it’s pretty clear what constitutes what

And the players respect the ref 

So it’s a shite idea in football as none of the above apply

2 hours ago, Zico said:

Just going off the article in the telegraph 

'Players will be shown a blue card and sent to the sin-bin for ten minutes if they show dissent to officials or commit a cynical foul."

Definition of a cynical foul 

"When a player intentionally fouls an opponent to disrupt a promising attack, " 

At least VAR can slow the game down and use lines to determine if someone is offside or a ball has crossed a line 

But how do you measure cynicism? 

Can you commit a cynical foul in your own half? 

Point being surely bringing this level of subjectivity into play is just going to lead to more delays and reviews, to not just determine if it's a foul but how cynical it was to determine what colour card they get 

It's bollocks

I assume there would be a distinction between ‘promising attack’ and the current ‘goalscoring opportunity’. Think we had one on Saturday when we were making a break so they just took out one of our players but wouldn’t be a red because they weren’t last man.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I assume there would be a distinction between ‘promising attack’ and the current ‘goalscoring opportunity’. Think we had one on Saturday when we were making a break so they just took out one of our players but wouldn’t be a red because they weren’t last man.

It will be a case of a clear and obvious goal scoring opportunity being prevented by a clear and obvious degree of cynicism so I'm sure it will all run smoothly and I'm all for it

1 minute ago, Zico said:

It will be a case of a clear and obvious goal scoring opportunity being prevented by a clear and obvious degree of cynicism so I'm sure it will all run smoothly and I'm all for it

I’m assuming that will still be a red card and this will kind of fill the gap.

Although I’ve hated the straight red card situation ever since we had that ridiculous one in the 7-1 at Accrington. 

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I’m assuming that will still be a red card and this will kind of fill the gap.

Although I’ve hated the straight red card situation ever since we had that ridiculous one in the 7-1 at Accrington. 

Cahill at Spurs comes to mind though for denying a goal scoring opportunity in our own half

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Great idea as long as it is clear and consistent. Yon mon who threw the spare ball on to the pitch on Saturday being a prime example. 

I still maintain that it was a yellow x2 offence. Yellow for unsporting behaviour and further yellow for preventing the restart of the game. Should that be a blue instead?

Plus, is a player is blue carded with less than 10 mins to go does his team start the next game with 10 on the pitch?

Good idea.

If it cuts down on the dissent then Shirley it's a good thing. The Luddites moaned about the introduction of the card system in the 70s. Football has moved on since then. Players respect for the officials has nose dived. The possibility of missing 10 mins will make players think twice before the electric blue comes out.

5 minutes ago, freds dad said:

All that will happen is that the team that are a man down will do a little bit of time wasting, and if a player goes down during the 10 minute period does the clock stop for the player in the sin bin?

That happens now with 11 on the pitch.

22 minutes ago, freds dad said:

All that will happen is that the team that are a man down will do a little bit of time wasting, and if a player goes down during the 10 minute period does the clock stop for the player in the sin bin?

You’d think so. Would be easier to police with a ‘live’ clock like in rugby league though (which was what I’ve long since preferred, especially in those long forgotten days of August when games were having 20 minutes added on)

5 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

You’d think so. Would be easier to police with a ‘live’ clock like in rugby league though (which was what I’ve long since preferred, especially in those long forgotten days of August when games were having 20 minutes added on)

I think they stop the clock in RU when there's an injury. It's hard to tell if they time waste in rugby as it can take ages to to have complete a scrum.

5 minutes ago, Underpants said:

I think they stop the clock in RU when there's an injury. It's hard to tell if they time waste in rugby as it can take ages to to have complete a scrum.

Wasn’t sure about RU as they always seem to still play a little bit at the end rather than finishing dead on 80 like in RL. Guarantees ‘ball in play’ time, at least. 

9 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Wasn’t sure about RU as they always seem to still play a little bit at the end rather than finishing dead on 80 like in RL. Guarantees ‘ball in play’ time, at least. 

RU don't have injury time. The ball has to be dead for the game to finish. I've seen RU games run over by a few minutes because of penalties. I won't lie it makes for good viewing because the game is close.

1 hour ago, freds dad said:

What happens is a blue card is given to a goalie? Rush goalie. 

I imagine there would need to be scope for a temporary substitute. Unless you have a manger who likes to play without keepers on the bench…

9 minutes ago, Jol_BWFC said:

I imagine there would need to be scope for a temporary substitute. Unless you have a manger who likes to play without keepers on the bench…

Balls to that. If you play with fire expect to get burnt. Keepers getting 10 in the bin will be fucking ace.

45 minutes ago, Jol_BWFC said:

I'd imagine you'd have to put an outfield player in for the duration

The fact that such questions arise suggest it may not have been well thought out