Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

ReeBok Atmosphere

Krimzon

5 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

"We are Bolton, from the North (West)" and "If you're going to Barnsley clap your hands"!!  - the youth of today wouldn't know these songs ever existed.  

Imagine. Missing out on that !! How do they cope ?

3 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

v. Leicester, Savage & Mike Riley 2001. 9 men. 94th minute equaliser. I'd have happily strangled Riley with one of Savage's dismembere legs.

No lack of atmosphere there.

There were great days at Burnden. Many but let's not overlook the dull, lifeless, defeats against Hartlepool & Exeter. Rain pouring through roofs, standing 2" of piss going for a slash in an ever reducing terracing ... nor the fckg Normid.

This. From the 30th second onwards. Savage having to be taken off by Dave Basset for "his own safety" 2 nil down, own goal by Ricketts, dow to 9 men, Nolan bags one, then Ricketts 94th minute equizer, like we'd won the premier league, nobody seemed to leave early and it was a crazy atmosphere, everybody wanted to kill Riley and Savage. The LC fans fans that were there looked terrified. 

Another on was V Spurs 2005 I think we won 3-1. No idea why but after 10 minutes the whole fround was rocking, chanting from every side. Everyone chanting "Dioufff!" every 30 seconds or so. I'm sure theres a few more.

4 minutes ago, leef78 said:

This. From the 30th second onwards. Savage having to be taken off by Dave Basset for "his own safety" 2 nil down, own goal by Ricketts, dow to 9 men, Nolan bags one, then Ricketts 94th minute equizer, like we'd won the premier league, nobody seemed to leave early and it was a crazy atmosphere, everybody wanted to kill Riley and Savage. The LC fans fans that were there looked terrified. 

Another on was V Spurs 2005 I think we won 3-1. No idea why but after 10 minutes the whole fround was rocking, chanting from every side. Everyone chanting "Dioufff!" every 30 seconds or so. I'm sure theres a few more.

My memory is absolutely shite but that's definitely one that i remember.

There was a lot of hissing sounds  in that game too which i didn't understand till about 10 years later when someone mentioned it on here ffs

11 hours ago, Krimzon said:

Its been discussed quite a bit from what Ive read on other threads. The new ground has never had the same atmosphere as Burnden with half the crowd, and midweek dark nights were always better IIRC . Intimidating to fuck, old fashioned ground with 40% nutters .(I remember getting bollocked of some old boy for not singing loud enough at a reserve game) .

There were so many games at Burnden where the roof nearly came off but what has been the best match atmosphere at the ReeBok ?

I can only think of two ...

Home to Atletico Madrid 

and home to Newcastle in a 4-1 defeat with Bo hansen in nets . 

Any others ? 

When Heskey scored against Blackburn and we beat them 2-1. It was one of the Christmas games eight or nine years ago. Admittedly it was only after we'd scored the second (having been 0-1 down) that the atmosphere reached the heights.

The first Saturday game at the Reebok was at home v United, 0-0. Atmosphere absolutely crackled that day. 

Edited by paulhanley

• Moderators
5 hours ago, DazBob said:

When Stu Holden bagged against Blackburn the atmosphere was pretty decent at the Reebok.

same as when Chris Eagles beat them with the last kick of the game

big goals get big reactions

but other than that, it's not that often the atmosphere really gets going of it's own accord

but again, most of the big games get big reactions in terms of noise and atmosphere not necesarily dicated by the play whether it be Wolves in the play offs at Burnden or West Ham at home in 2003

I don't recall a home game in a long time that had an atmosphere like Derby away last season 

(edit: just to clarify, I mean the atmosphere in the away end)

26 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

When Heskey scored against Blackburn and we beat them 2-1. It was one of the Christmas games eight or nine years ago. Admittedly it was only after we'd scored the second (having been 0-1 down) that the atmosphere reached the heights.

The first Saturday game at the Reebok was at home v United, 0-0. Atmosphere absolutely crackled that day. 

Gudjohnsen scored the first as well didn’t he?

the Eagles one is a great shout too. Half of ESL ended up under the screen after the goal

That 0-0 v Utd was only my third game (the previous two being Battle of Burnden v Wolves and the first game at the Reebok) and my first thought is not hearing a single name announced in their team because of all the booing and whistling. Lucky to get folk in for kick off these days. 

8 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

the Eagles one is a great shout too. Half of ESL ended up under the screen after the goal

That 0-0 v Utd was only my third game (the previous two being Battle of Burnden v Wolves and the first game at the Reebok) and my first thought is not hearing a single name announced in their team because of all the booing and whistling. Lucky to get folk in for kick off these days. 

From memory it was Pratley but Eidur was instrumental in that little come back. 

There was all sorts going off that day v United. I'm sure loads will have their tales. On the pitch the rags thought they were going to score the first ever goal at the Reebok but didn't.

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

There were great days at Burnden. Many but let's not overlook the dull, lifeless, defeats against Hartlepool & Exeter. Rain pouring through roofs, standing 2" of piss going for a slash in an ever reducing terracing ... nor the fckg Normid.

There were some great days yes indeed.

But let's be honest. It was  a cold draughty shithole.  Standing in 2" of piss kept the place sufficiently damp so that a fire was less likely. There was dust and wood shavings and paper and cardboard all over the place. Under the stairs and everywhere. Wooden stands where you could smoke, at least underneath. It was like a fair ground big dipper.

And fckg Normid as you say, with that embarrassing Badminton Horse Trials Scaffolding stand. Did anyone off here ever go in there ?

1 hour ago, Leyther_Matt said:

The clip off MOTD when the teams are warming up is ace.

Commentator even says some people were worried about the atmosphere not being the same after leaving Burnden Park but theres no sign of that.

6 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

The guaranteed way to get Bolton fans rocking is a sense of injustice. Poor refereeing decisions early on get that going.

The "we want a ref" chant is sadly missed.

That was very 70s, even by early 80s it had been replaced by the much more tuneful "Referee, You're a W*****" which is such an iconic melody and is one of the very few to have survived the last 40 years, still to be heard in all its glory to this day.

• Site Supporter
45 minutes ago, gonzo said:

The clip off MOTD when the teams are warming up is ace.

Commentator even says some people were worried about the atmosphere not being the same after leaving Burnden Park but theres no sign of that.

• Moderators

a few, i think, unmentioned

coventry 1 -5 went from absolutely rocking to morgue

spurs, midweek, think we finally won it with a last minute okocha penalty

bury battering

theres loads - i think its generally them that don't go that bleat most

it is what we make it

There were some grim arse flat days being chucked in the lever end as a kid. 

There were more playing footy with a tin can than watching some weeks and the highlight was seeing my dad for quid at half time through the fence like I was in a concentration camp.

7 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Even the simple songs like "We are Bolton, from the North (West)" and "If you're going to Barnsley clap your hands"!!  - the youth of today wouldn't know these songs ever existed.  

Loved Derby singing their own version of this when first heard as a nine year old at Pride Park in 98 (we are Derby, Super Rams).

Only recently discovered we sang it a few years ago on an 80’s video I came across. Blew my mind. 

5 minutes ago, BWFC_LOVE said:

Loved Derby singing their own version of this when first heard as a nine year old at Pride Park in 98 (we are Derby, Super Rams).

Only recently discovered we sang it a few years ago on an 80’s video I came across. Blew my mind. 

Is this to the Millwall no-one likes us tune?

10 minutes ago, BWFC_LOVE said:

Yeah had no idea we sang to that tune once. 

I would say it was one of the staple songs that would be sung at every away game and most homes, maybe second only to "(insert name of manager)'s Super White Army" and repeat.