Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Playoffs

L/H White

4 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

I think women's football is great and that it's about time that girls and women got the opportunity and incentive to get involved in the great game - WSL does a great job in promoting it. The more females that are into football = less females whingeing about it being on the telly and men going to games and talking about it plus more supporters attending the men's games which is good for the club.

That said, it's a different game. On Monday night we were a player short and having trawled through our Whatsapp group trying to coerce someone to make up the numbers, one bloke said he'd got a +1 who turned out to be a woman who plays for the town women's team - a woman I've known since she was a kid. Fair enough she could run, control, pass and shoot etc well enough to get involved, but all the guys were unwilling to mark/tackle her in case they broke her. Now I'm an old guy and the lads don't think twice about halving me given the opportunity but for now I can still compete and get stuck in where required whereas for the first half hour, nobody would go near her. So I decided to mark her for a bit and she didn't get a look in. Fair play to her - she appreciated being treated the same as everyone else (although I accidentally handled her left tit in one tackle) but the difference in physicality whilst playing is massive. "Boys against men"  is a well used comparator, but men against women is a whole new level, and a lot of blokes feel obliged to back off which changes the game. We've never had a woman playing before and she enjoyed it so much she wants to play again - but sooner or later, somebody is going to snap her.

I'm all for showing women's football on TV, but scheduling the playoffs to suit the TV schedule is bollocks. I know we need the TV money, and that's the problem, not women's football.

She told me you touched her on purpose 

1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Will you be discussing your team's strengths and weakness with her in the week?

No but if she's on my team next time, I'll be shouting at her like I do with everyone else throughout the game. I'm all for equal verbal abuse rights.

48 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

one bloke said he'd got a +1 who turned out to be a woman who plays for the town women's team - a woman I've known since she was a kid.

Not my type. She's about 26 now and anyway, her girlfriend wouldn't approve.

Just checking is she straight, gay or on both buses?

Edited by freds dad

1 hour ago, Wanderlust said:

I think women's football is great and that it's about time that girls and women got the opportunity and incentive to get involved in the great game - WSL does a great job in promoting it. The more females that are into football = less females whingeing about it being on the telly and men going to games and talking about it plus more supporters attending the men's games which is good for the club.

That said, it's a different game. On Monday night we were a player short and having trawled through our Whatsapp group trying to coerce someone to make up the numbers, one bloke said he'd got a +1 who turned out to be a woman who plays for the town women's team - a woman I've known since she was a kid. Fair enough she could run, control, pass and shoot etc well enough to get involved, but all the guys were unwilling to mark/tackle her in case they broke her. Now I'm an old guy and the lads don't think twice about halving me given the opportunity but for now I can still compete and get stuck in where required whereas for the first half hour, nobody would go near her. So I decided to mark her for a bit and she didn't get a look in. Fair play to her - she appreciated being treated the same as everyone else (although I accidentally handled her left tit in one tackle) but the difference in physicality whilst playing is massive. "Boys against men"  is a well used comparator, but men against women is a whole new level, and a lot of blokes feel obliged to back off which changes the game. We've never had a woman playing before and she enjoyed it so much she wants to play again - but sooner or later, somebody is going to snap her.

I'm all for showing women's football on TV, but scheduling the playoffs to suit the TV schedule is bollocks. I know we need the TV money, and that's the problem, not women's football.

I’m all for women’s football lusty, I’ve two granddaughters who absolutely love it so please don’t misunderstand me but surely the men’s game at EFL level must be more highly rated than the WSL, especially for important events like the play offs. I accept that TV and viewing play a part but surely not to the extent that they take precedence over top men’s football. There has to be a point where the authorities grow a pair and insist on that. I’d actually like to see the viewing figures for a WSL game compared to the EFL play offs because I’d be very surprised is the WSL were higher.

• Site Supporter
39 minutes ago, athywhite1958 said:

My mates son has just been suspended from local football (he is 18) for the rest of the season because he said to the female referee "you should be in the kitchen" as she went to book him

Good.

• Site Supporter
45 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

I’m all for women’s football lusty, I’ve two granddaughters who absolutely love it so please don’t misunderstand me but surely the men’s game at EFL level must be more highly rated than the WSL, especially for important events like the play offs. I accept that TV and viewing play a part but surely not to the extent that they take precedence over top men’s football. There has to be a point where the authorities grow a pair and insist on that. I’d actually like to see the viewing figures for a WSL game compared to the EFL play offs because I’d be very surprised is the WSL were higher.

Where has it been confirmed that the WSL is being prioritised over EFL play-off fixtures?

1 hour ago, athywhite1958 said:

My mates son has just been suspended from local football (he is 18) for the rest of the season because he said to the female referee "you should be in the kitchen" as she went to book him for something he posted on Facebook seven years ago.

😉

3 hours ago, athywhite1958 said:

My mates son has just been suspended from local football (he is 18) for the rest of the season because he said to the female referee "you should be in the kitchen" as she went to book him

Assuming it was a 3PM kick-off she should be finished in time to cook the tea anyway.