Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Happy International Goalkeeper Day

Dr Faustus

The much maligned but only essential position on the pitch- we can’t play without one. I remember Southall and Grobbelaar as a kid and being amazed with their agility, then Schmeichel with his power. My first shirt was a keeper shirt, and Felgate was my hero- later he was 1st team at Leigh when I was in 18s, so I trained with him weekly. My lad plays in net for an academy, district and county so I am a fully paid member of the goalkeepers union and know the highs and lows; let’s celebrate

Favourite Bolton keeper- Jussi

Favourite international keeper- Neuer

Best saves- Branagan double save v Sheff Utd in 97/Jussi v Charlton in cup 01

Iconic moment- Branagan penalty save 95 play off save

Icon- Higuita 

Anything stand out to anyone?

• Site Supporter

Jim McDonagh was my first hero so will say him as favourite keeper.

Jussi's double penalty saves gave me most joy.

Favourite international keeper was Shilton and that Colombian clown, Huigita or sommat like that

• Site Supporter

Favourite Bolton keeper- Agree Jussi

Best saves-Host of Jussi’s Hull, Man U, City stand out 

Iconic moment- Jussi’s double penalty save at Blackburn

Icon- Dino Zoff

I’ll add

Best Keeper I’ve seen - Peter Schmeichel

Outstanding monent.

Late 60's/early 70's

Jim McDonagh whilst a Rotherham player, putting the ball down for a goal-kick with the linesman frantically indicating it hadn't gone out.

He walked away to run up for the kick & I THINK it was Byrom how ran up & plonked it into an unguarded goal.

I'll admit my first thought wasn’t "get him signed".

Was ballboy behind the goal in the south stand 03/04.

A notable mention to Rogerio Ceni appearing for a random friendly against Sao Paolo in November that season.

Liked Paul Robinson best. Gave you the thumbs up everytime you gave him the ball. Went a long way for a 14 year old.

Jussi used to get stroppy with me, as I always used to walk round the goal to give it him for a goal kick (as opposed to throwing it over the bar). 

Best part was being able to throw it to one of Youri or Jay Jay everytime we won a corner tbh.

Best save is a hard one for me tbh… Ter Stegen could have his own chapter 

worked out the lad might actually qualify for Germany on his mums side- he’s off to Poland on Tuesday as part of Premier League Holocaust Memorial; only two from each club going

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Outstanding monent.

Late 60's/early 70's

Jim McDonagh whilst a Rotherham player, putting the ball down for a goal-kick with the linesman frantically indicating it hadn't gone out.

He walked away to run up for the kick & I THINK it was Byrom how ran up & plonked it into an unguarded goal.

It was Garry Jones. I was literally about 10 yards away in the Lever End, shouting out that the ref hadn’t given a goal kick.

34 minutes ago, Steejay said:

It was Garry Jones. I was literally about 10 yards away in the Lever End, shouting out that the ref hadn’t given a goal kick.

We must have been stood very close. I was toward the front of the Lever End, about level with the left corner of the 6 yard box looking toward the pitch.

2 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Outstanding monent.

Late 60's/early 70's

Garry Jones

I always remember this one. Grobbelaar was always one for creating a save so it looked great for the cameras. But this one against Man U was not. It was superb. Unfortunately i can only find it in slow motion and that takes away how good it actually was.

5:57

• Moderators
36 minutes ago, Underpants said:

I always remember this one. Grobbelaar was always one for creating a save so it looked great for the cameras. But this one against Man U was not. It was superb. Unfortunately i can only find it in slow motion and that takes away how good it actually was.

5:57

One of my earliest football memories was my dad letting us stay up late for the 84 European Cup final and BG doing his wobbly leg routine to put players off in the shoot out 

https://youtu.be/YDn9xSZjThk?si=aK-4M6u4DxUhxJTx

Favourite Bolton keeper - Seamus - edges out Barry Siddall. Jussi was class but didn’t have to cope with the pitches that they did

Favourite international keeper- Buffon

Best saves- Jussi at Blackburn

Iconic moment- Branagan vs Reading

Icon- Schmeicel - took keeping to another level