Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Charlie Nicholas

Boby Brno

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11667_4197280,00.html

Charlie says -

"The worst penalty decision I have ever seen."

That was Charlie Nicholas' verdict on Rob Styles decision to award Manchester United a spot kick in the second half of Saturday's 2-0 win over Bolton at Old Trafford.

The key moment arrived on the hour mark when Jlloyd Samuel appeared to win the ball from Cristiano Ronaldo with a superb tackle, but referee Rob Styles pointed to the penalty spot.

Despite astonishment from both sets of players, Ronaldo stepped up to score and United cruised through to full-time with Wayne Rooney adding a splendid second after more good work from the Portuguese winger.

But although Nicholas felt United were worthy winners, he was left seething at the decision that swung the game in their favour.

"It's the worst I've ever seen," he said on Soccer Saturday.

"I've seen a lot of bad penalties. Ronaldo has maybe slightly over-run it and he looked as though he'd given up.

"He didn't dive, he has done that before and he has played for them, but I don't think he did that.

"Lloyd just went for a nice easy tackle on him, the timing was good, he got all of his studs on the ball cleanly, it knocked back off Ronaldo and stopped. The ball didn't really go anywhere.

"The reaction of the Manchester United players was to start giggling.

"Kammy will do it on Goals on Sunday and Andy Gray will be all over it and rightly so.

"All I can say is thank God for Wayne Rooney to deflect attention away from this referee. He is an absolute joke when he gets big games because he bottles it.

"If I could be a bit nicer I would be, but I don't know how he works in the Premier League.

"He was absolutely terrible. Look at some of the other decisions. He booked three of the Bolton players and Manchester United made a couple of rash challenges themselves and there was no sign of a yellow card. There was no sign of even having a word with the player.

"Man United thoroughly deserved to win this game, but that changed the whole issue of the game.

"It's an absolute shambles of a decision and is genuinely the worst I've ever seen."

The comment in bold says it all

Edited by Barnstoneworth White

Just seen it for the first time on Motd, unbefuckinlievable decision. Shearer and Handsen were laughing at Styles, what an arrogant little tvvat he is. :nea:

It's no consolatation, but he won't be reffing a Prem game next week.

They both pointed out how many times he's made piss poor decisions and just sat out the next week. Do they not have a warning system for refs?

• Moderators
a vey accurate assessment, cept even though utd deserved to win, i didn't see em scoring

neither did styles, obviously

aye, and that's what wound me up

even some utd fans behind us

one goes "aye, but we deserved it"

to his credit, and the only one i heard with a manc accent, for what it's worth said "that doesn't make it a penalty though"

I know it won't make any difference but when a ref makes such a pi ss poor decision why don't they speak to the media and say they made a mistake. At least then you would have the smallest bit of respect for them as we all makes mistakes (except my missus)

The problem is that they are too arrogant and know that they will not ref a match next week but will still get paid. The FA are running a Respect campaign this season where players have to respect the ref but on occasions like yesterday these campaigns should work both ways.

Personally I would like to see Rob Styles hanging by his bollox from the town hall clock!

I know it won't make any difference but when a ref makes such a pi ss poor decision why don't they speak to the media and say they made a mistake. At least then you would have the smallest bit of respect for them as we all makes mistakes (except my missus)

The problem is that they are too arrogant and know that they will not ref a match next week but will still get paid. The FA are running a Respect campaign this season where players have to respect the ref but on occasions like yesterday these campaigns should work both ways.

Personally I would like to see Rob Styles hanging by his bollox from the town hall clock!

MOTD did mention last night he refused to come out and give an interview when requested. They also said the same as you that we might understand he's human. C?cks like him don't help their Respect cause. Hackett should make all refs answerable post match, but he won't.

• Site Supporter
Despite astonishment from both sets of players, Ronaldo stepped up to score

And there lies the problem. I'd have admired Ronaldo a lot more if he'd purposefully fired it wide in a "That-was-a-fair-tackle" display of sportsmanship. He didn't so he goes down as a cheating bell-end.

And there lies the problem. I'd have admired Ronaldo a lot more if he'd purposefully fired it wide in a "That-was-a-fair-tackle" display of sportsmanship. He didn't so he goes down as a cheating bell-end.

I doubt i'd ever see that cheating, scumbag c*nt doing that. shocking ref wants f*ckin shooting

I agree with you Micky. Footballers today make a big thing about their sportsmanship when giving the ball back to the opposition after they have put it out of play so that an injured player can receive treatment. They would be more sportsmanlike if they put the ball wide from the spot when they know it was not a penalty and Ronaldo did know because he never claimed for one. Bloody hypocrites.

Surely you didn/t seriously expect him to day that - he is a proofessional and is paid to score rewgardless of how the chance came about.

If a Bolton player did that I would be disgusted.

I agree with you Micky. Footballers today make a big thing about their sportsmanship when giving the ball back to the opposition after they have put it out of play so that an injured player can receive treatment. They would be more sportsmanlike if they put the ball wide from the spot when they know it was not a penalty and Ronaldo did know because he never claimed for one. Bloody hypocrites.

indeed they are hypocrites, but he was probably more worried about his ?5K goal bonus and ?20K win bonus - as with most people, cash comes before morals

• Site Supporter
Surely you didn/t seriously expect him to day that - he is a proofessional and is paid to score rewgardless of how the chance came about.

If a Bolton player did that I would be disgusted.

So when Paulo DiCanio caught the ball at Everton you watched and shook your head in disbelief that a player had wasted a guilt edged opportunity to score; even though your opponent's keeper was on the deck injured?

Or when a team sat down at the re-start following a goal that they felt they had scored unfairly.

This is a sport. It's time the over-paid prima donnas treated it as such.

So when Paulo DiCanio caught the ball at Everton you watched and shook your head in disbelief that a player had wasted a guilt edged opportunity to score; even though your opponent's keeper was on the deck injured?

Or when a team sat down at the re-start following a goal that they felt they had scored unfairly.

Micky, but we have also taken advantage of this sort of decision in the past, When Diouf went down against Balckburn away, and it was never, ever a penalty, we gladly took all three points didn't we.

I think the last few weeks have shown us that it is time for "video replay technology" to come into play, and I would welcome it. It will slow the game down a bit, by probably adding 10~15 minutes to a game, but results are too important now for us not to have this kind of technology

The most frequent instance of that is where a team are told to re-start play (after a player has been treated for injury) by kicking the ball to the opposition goalie and by accident (or otherwise) it goes into the net. It's happened at least twice already this season in non-league and the referee has ............ awarded a goal. I thought 'ungentlemanly conduct' was a catch-all offence which would resolve that sort of 'accidental' goal, but refs never seem to use it.

Oh, and when was obstruction in the penalty area leading to an indirect free-kick abolished from the rules ? I've not seen that given for years now.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.