Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Best Ever

Smiffs

• Moderators
I love a good nostalgic post this this one. Peter Thompson used to run em ragged, Liverpool must have had one almighty team to allow a talent like that to leave. In respect to the original best ever question, weve had a few, but one springs to mind and was a class above anything else we had at the time, his name? Dusan Nicolic, anyone remember him. Also what about Ferret? cant think of his name now but we did sign him from Spurs. Keep em coming.

i presume you mean neil mcnab

waste of money that lad

up there with cantello and clement

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Site Supporter

Here's one that I bet not many will remember.

Back in the dark days of 81-82 season we had a guy on loan from Middlesbro' called Ian Bailey. Left back.

He stood out from the dross on offer at the time, so much so that it prompted a mini demo of "we want Bailey!" outside the ground after one particualr game. Needless to say we didn't get to sign him.

Any one else remember him?

• Moderators
Here's one that I bet not many will remember.

Back in the dark days of 81-82 season we had a guy on loan from Middlesbro' called Ian Bailey. Left back.

He stood out from the dross on offer at the time, so much so that it prompted a mini demo of "we want Bailey!" outside the ground after one particualr game. Needless to say we didn't get to sign him.

Any one else remember him?

cracking player

now, im not sure if we had him on loan twice

what i am sure of, is that later in his career, he was playing against us - for sheff weds - i think

he broke his leg

as he was carted off, plenty were booing him and singing songs about how he'd miss the big game they had coming up

fa cup semi, i think

as fer decent left backs on loan - martin pike

Mark Winstanley's 40 yarder in the Sherpa Van - happy days. Wrexham at home? We were going out until that point IIRC

Barry Cowdrill's couple of screamers were special. One got disallowed for offside. He hit the thing from about 35 yards and the linesman flagged for someone being offside. Swindon rings a bell.

Ian Stevens was always a favourite of mine, never could understand why Steve Elliott got picked in front of him.

And Trevor Morgan, forget the game - played in white but his shirt was red by the end.

Steve Thompson.

World class. Could turn himself inside out that lad.

I'd go Tommo as well , a lot of good plyers on here but my vote would go to Tommo mainly due to length of service during the bad (good) times & his ability to stand out amoungst the crap on a regular basis.

Chris Fairclough :good:

Jesus wept...Chris Fairclough & the bad old days in the same sentence?!

Good player though

Also looked extremely young for his age...so much so that his face was used as a "model" to promote the world cup in France in 98 in some form or other...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.