Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

A Pasty Barm?

matty2094

Does that not require a bib of some kind? Crusty bread, crumbly pastry, pork and jelly and the like - sounds beltin' though, maybe with a bit of HP sauce or Piccalilli?

yeh, but in th'east midlands a cob is a barm - if you see what I mean. So soft bread round a Melton Mowbray, cut in half

Edited by SatanGreavsie

yeh, but in th'east midlands a cob is a barm - if you see what I mean. So soft bread round a Melton Mowbray, cut in half

Not another regional variation for a flourcake/barmcake? at least cobs are savoury I suppose. Having soft bread with a pork pie doesn't sound as appetising - doesn't the jelly make the bread soggy? Anyway, I'm going to have a crusty cob with an award winning Frasers' Pork Pie for my dinner tomorrow.

You poor bastard.

Shitty little place, but not as bad as Askam.

It (Dalton) has enough pubs, saying you can walk from one end to the other in about ten minutes. I've been to Askam, I didn't even notice the redeeming feature of any pubs in the five minutes I spent there. Me and the bloke I was with are hardly George Clooney and Brad Pitt, yet all the women of Dalton were like meerkats clocking us - as 'fresh meat', according to the girl behind the bar in one of the pubs.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

• Members

no pasty barms in bury

its a pie or pasty muffin

and as bolty and eg will confirm, it shouldn't be a barm in bolton

mancified bumders

its a pasty flour cake

This man deserves a +1 for preserving Bolton lingo. It is indeed a pasty flour cake and teacakes do have currants in em (used to work in Huddersfield and they call flour cakes 'teacakes' the barmy bastards - see what I did there :D )

This is a different Mansfield to the one where The Stags play, right? The one in Nottinghamshire?

I've an ology in Geography tha knars, Mansfield is in...Nottinghamshire, where are Saxon (the shit rock band) from? I'm sure it's Mansfield...The accent etc. it must be near the 'border' (the Yorkshire border, not the Mexican border).

Edited by Youri McAnespie

This man deserves a +1 for preserving Bolton lingo. It is indeed a pasty flour cake and teacakes do have currants in em (used to work in Huddersfield and they call flour cakes 'teacakes' the barmy bastards - see what I did there :D )

I'd have to take issue with you there. I always thought flour cakes were flatter, wider and had been 'floured' top and bottom, as opposed to your regular barm? I'm sure my Gran used to call them two distinct things. Either way, it's proper lingo, like corporation pop!

Used to get a 'slappy' from corner shop near Leigh CE high school.

Open barm, put pie on then 'slap' the top of the barm on, hence a 'slappy'

This was in the absence of pasties.

I did like a pie barm too in my school days AKA a Wigan kebab in some places :rofl:

Edited by tylswhite

• Moderators

Another one NOT from Bolton.......and you all call me, and United fans !!

radcliffe became a bolton overspill in the 60's with plenty folk from that side of town moving into modern properties that were being built on the bury/bolton border

continued in the 80s with the closure of dobbies, mathers and the railway

so, fcuk off plastic scouse :P

when i was at school, there was a wanderers/bury split

i imagine its now city and united

• Site Supporter

Stall on Bury market near to Black pudding stall sells barms and oven bottoms as separate things.

Oven bottoms are flatter, wider, and usually considerably blacker!

Fish barm for me- had one only yesterday from Wood Street Chippy, in the back streets near Bury Bridge.

Would recommend Jim's at Darcy Lever usually though.

radcliffe became a bolton overspill in the 60's with plenty folk from that side of town moving into modern properties that were being built on the bury/bolton border

continued in the 80s with the closure of dobbies, mathers and the railway

so, fcuk off plastic scouse :P

when i was at school, there was a wanderers/bury split

i imagine its now city and united

:blum:

But....but......but......!

• Members

I'd have to take issue with you there. I always thought flour cakes were flatter, wider and had been 'floured' top and bottom, as opposed to your regular barm? I'm sure my Gran used to call them two distinct things. Either way, it's proper lingo, like corporation pop!

Listen to the Moderator. He's reet.

'Barm' is a Manc thing.