Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Got Myself A Slow Cooker!

barryk32

Bung 500ml bottle of good cider (Westons or summat) in then add Coleman's pork or cicken casserole mix; stir until all dissolved then add yer chicken or pork (OK if its frozen, just takes longer or a higher temp) plus whole spuds, carrots etc and finally some chillies to give it a bit of whack. Cook preferably at the lowest heat and for long e.g on first thing and then ready early evening. If you do it big scale and only eat half, put the pot in the fridge and then re-heat (e.g. just by spooning it out into a saucepan and hobbing it) a day or two later. Tip fucking top! Spuds etc can be chopped a bit, but if you make 'em too small they go soggy i.e.don't, in my experience, use one of them pre-prepared bags of casserole veg.

Bung 500ml bottle of good cider (Westons or summat) in then add Coleman's pork or cicken casserole mix; stir until all dissolved then add yer chicken or pork (OK if its frozen, just takes longer or a higher temp) plus whole spuds, carrots etc and finally some chillies to give it a bit of whack. Cook preferably at the lowest heat and for long e.g on first thing and then ready early evening. If you do it big scale and only eat half, put the pot in the fridge and then re-heat (e.g. just by spooning it out into a saucepan and hobbing it) a day or two later. Tip fucking top! Spuds etc can be chopped a bit, but if you make 'em too small they go soggy i.e.don't, in my experience, use one of them pre-prepared bags of casserole veg.

sounds good that boss

Pretty much put any edible ingredients in. Add a little stock, switch on and leave 8 hours and it will be delicious.

I bought one for cooking healthy meals in. Stick some spuds, loads of casserole veg, some skinned chicken breast or beef. Add the beef stock or chicken stock and you're away. Bloody lovely, cheap, hardly any fat and incredibly nutritious!

And yes, unfortunately, it is a sign that you're getting old.

I'm going to put a sausage casserole in for tomorrow. Plenty Lincolnshire sossij, colemans casserole mix, bit of cider, some shrooms, onion, bit of stock and water.

Might bang a sliced carrot in too, make it go a bit further then leave it overnight in the slow cooker, stick it on low before the school run in the morning and come back from the afternoon one with the smell of tea done. Then peel some spuds, boil then mash with philadelphia or primula or whatever for cheesy mash.

Proper grub that sticks to yer ribs :thumbsup:

Best two buys for me in the kitchen - slow cooker and George Foreman.

Slow cooker - now I ain't no expert but lobbing a few ingredients into a slow cooker and letting it do the work for a few hours is great. Missus thinks your a genius.

George Foreman - anything normally grilled goes in there and the amount of fat that comes out of sausages, burgers, etc makes you feel better on the healthy front. Pain the arse to clean though so leave it to the missus.

Just bought a doughnut maker. Trying it tonight. That'll be a candidate for the back of the cupboard with the deep fat fryer.

Get some braising steak and brown it off, then put aside. Cook onions, celery, garlic and caraway seeds till onion is soft, add red wine, beetroot, beef stock and balsmic vinegar, plenty salt and pepper. Just before serving it up crumble some stilton in and stir it round. Mash is a good accompaniment.

There's another good one with lamb, piles and piles of coriander and the best bit is adding 500ml of beer of your choice.

Get a book called Stewed - Nourish Your Soul. Traditional now for me to do one out of that on a Sunday whilst our peg sits on her arse. In fact it's happening this very minute

• Site Supporter

slow cookers are ace, do curries and chillis in mine, the pork and cider sounds great I made one tother week,

i recommend beef and ale for 9 hours beef just falls apart superb, tip of the day tablespoon of flour will help thicken the sauce up

kitchen gadgets recently purchased an used by meself an ice cream maker, its ace!

I just shove all my stuff in raw, can't see the point in cooking it twice and it's always tasted brill.

The only thing Mrs Cure insists on me cooking before putting in a mix is ham for a pea & ham soup but I reckon this would still surely only need warming up with the soup as it's already cured? I mean, you eat ham cold too don't you?

A slow cooker was the best ?10 i ever spent.Try a Colemans beef bourguignon mix, with some casserolle beef, onion,carrots,chesnut mushrooms, and half a bottle of red wine, salt,pepper, slap it all in the slow cooker for 6-8 hours - the result is divine. My tip is to make loads,then either refrigerate or freeze......and it's even better 2nd time around :good:

Coq au vin is also top notch.

Mys does a belting chicken broth in it, only takes about 3 hours.

Chopped up chicken breats, thin sliced carrots, onions, knor Chicken stock, water, mixed herbs and 3 cups of pasta.

cooke the chicken first.

Basicly a pot noodle from scratch.

Other thing to remember is that you can just put a whole joint of beef or a chicken in there - with nowt else apart from some seasoning if you want - and over the course of the day they cook in their own juices. Highest heat might dry it out a bit, but on a lower heat you come back to summat sitting in a load of stock and the meat just peels away =D> Done a cracking rib of beef like that