Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Teachers On Strike Tomorrow.

barryk32

True enough.....point being that when I am in work I don't have the time to spend all day on here.

I sympathise with parents who are inconvenienced. I am looking after a group of kids today so parents do not need to take time off.  

I have no problem doing this - I am used to spending 3.15pm to 5.30pm with students at school (when I could be long gone)

I usually leave work between 6.30 and 7pm - the idea that everyone is off home at 3pm is nonsense.

I apologise for having weeks of holidays - I try to make up for this by taking students abroad on trips or running additional classes to prepare them for exams. And I happily pay double or triple the price when booking a holiday.

I think you are the exception rather than the norm regarding what time you finish,i drive past my sons school and there aint that many cars left on the car park after 5pm.

I'd think on about taking students abroad on trips during the hols, one guy just got 5 1/2 years for it ;~)

I think you are the exception rather than the norm regarding what time you finish,i drive past my sons school and there aint that many cars left on the car park after 5pm.

I'd think on about taking students abroad on trips during the hols, one guy just got 5 1/2 years for it ;~)

Maybe you are right....but they will be working from home. It's not like the 80's or even 90's - then you would have to put up with really poor teachers. Now they are heavily scrutinised.

We have had loads of people come over from the private sector - hardly any have lasted. Reason? 'Too intense and demanding'

Maybe you are right....but they will be working from home. It's not like the 80's or even 90's - then you would have to put up with really poor teachers. Now they are heavily scrutinised.

The couple who live next door to me, their daughter (32A, flat as fuck) has just started teaching at a local primary school, I think she's just about to finish her second year as a teacher. Anyway, I hate to admit it, but she works like fuck. She'll get back from the school at around 5 and then will spend at least a couple of hours marking and planning lessons for the next day. I don't know if it's because she's new to the job, but they're certainly getting their moneys worth out of her (which isn't very much from what I can gather)  -  so my opinion has changed a little of late, I still reckon a lot of them are workshy fuckers, but maybe they're more of the "old school" types and not the new breed.

Edited by CWP

We have had loads of people come over from the private sector - hardly any have lasted. Reason? 'Too intense and demanding'

Is that why maths and english standards have improved so much these days?

Edited by Andydee

• Site Supporter

I don't think the hashtag thing works on here - think it's for Twitter

#worksonhere

#wearedownwithit

#worksheretoo

#maybeyoudon'tactuallyknowthesiteaswellasthosewhoutilisethehashtag

I love it when this happens, shows how ill informed most of the folk on here are when it comes to the teaching profession. Back of fag pack rhetoric and and few Daily Mail arrivals churned up into piss and hot air.

Was married to one for nigh on 15 years so I've seen the good and the bad.

However that aside what makes teachers immune from any kind of impact from this 6 year financial shitstorm the country has faced??

Redundancies, pay freezes and cuts, pension changes, changing conditions....it's hit all of us and has done since 2007.

Every other trade profession and industry has suffered.

As soon as it happens to them they throw their fucking toys about like the kids they teach.

For that, for me, they can fuck right off.

The couple who live next door to me, their daughter (32A, flat as fuck) has just started teaching at a local primary school, I think she's just about to finish her second year as a teacher. Anyway, I hate to admit it, but she works like fuck. She'll get back from the school at around 5 and then will spend at least a couple of hours marking and planning lessons for the next day. I don't know if it's because she's new to the job, but they're certainly getting their moneys worth out of her (which isn't very much from what I can gather) - so my opinion has changed a little of late, I still reckon a lot of them are workshy fuckers, but maybe they're more of the "old school" types and not the new breed.

Its because she is 32A, may as well work as nought else is going on!

• Site Supporter

teaching has become irrelevant anyway..

a levels and gcse's become pointless when they started producing league tables.

kids aren't educated, theyre taught exactly what they need to pass exams,

21 yr old lad we work with didn't even know what a spitfire was... his excuse... "they didn't teach us in school".

My teachers inspired me to want to know more, taught us things we didn't need to learn for exams,

and maths coursework.... whats all that about.

Teachers seem quite happy to brainwash people into "uni is the only way forward", "you must do university"..pointless... absolute pointless..

I would not like to teach. I am sympathetic to the ones on the front lines in inner city schools who are expected to be more social workers/ police than actual teachers. It would not be for me. However I was a school governor at my local primary school for 5 years from 2000 and the teachers back then were all 45+ and relics from the 60’s and 70’s. None would stay after school, all thought homework was not relevant and should not be done as it would stigmatise those who did not do it. They also  thought spelling was not important. They are now all gone, retired around 55 on their cosy final salary pensions.

Perhaps the younger ones coming through have a different attitude but they need to get out of their unions.

Edited by bgoefc

University is pointless? How do you work that out?

And, teacher's training days - compulsory and out of the school's hands. I got sent home at lunchtime during one of them because I was so hungover.

I read it as "to everyone" which is pointless as a lot of people shouldn't go to university.

Everyone should have the choice but a lot of people wouldn't benefit from going and need to be prepared for work environment at 16 or 18 etc.

Edited by tomski

The school near me has had the day off today has well. Deluded fuckwits.

Smiffs will love this...

Today was a "teacher training day" and yesterday was a strike day but they moved the training day to yesterday. Utter wankers, I'd fuck them all off and get ex forces personnel in to run the place.

Smiffs will love this...

Today was a "teacher training day" and yesterday was a strike day but they moved the training day to yesterday. Utter wankers, I'd fuck them all off and get ex forces personnel in to run the place.

Eh?

That's a good thing isn't it? Parents don't need to find another day to cover the training day now. 

teaching has become irrelevant anyway..

a levels and gcse's become pointless when they started producing league tables.

kids aren't educated, theyre taught exactly what they need to pass exams,

21 yr old lad we work with didn't even know what a spitfire was... his excuse... "they didn't teach us in school".

My teachers inspired me to want to know more, taught us things we didn't need to learn for exams,

and maths coursework.... whats all that about.

Teachers seem quite happy to brainwash people into "uni is the only way forward", "you must do university"..pointless... absolute pointless..

Alot of grads say the same thing re: the spitfire thing as an excuse for everything

They want showing exactly what to do an struggle to think on their feet and/or find solutions by using their brains

Smiffs will love this...

Why would ex forces personnel be better? I'm missing the link there

Is that why maths and english standards have improved so much these days?

Partly. Are pupils naturally more intelligent than the 80's or 90's? Of course not. The main reason why results continue to rise is down to three factors - teachers working harder, students working harder and inequalities in the exam system - and I would put them in that order.

Why would ex forces personnel be better? I'm missing the link there

Agreed. This baffles me.

I have no problem with other professions coming into teaching. Over the last few years, I have worked with 8 people who came from the private sector into teaching - only 1 remains. The other 7 felt it wasn't for them - despite investing the time and money to train to be teachers in their 30's and 40's.