Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Pike Mill Mafia!

Churchill

I remember when i used to go to my Grandparents in G/L every Sunday with my parents we used to walk past a big wall that was next to Bishop Bridgeman school, and in big white letter was 'Pike mill Mafia', i used to think one of my family members was in it but apparently not, either that or he was sworn to secrecy like the real mafia! Anyhow anyone got a clue what it was all about, or if it was just like 'Free the Salford 5' which is all over Salford subways, which i imagine is aload of chavs thinking they are bigtime! Any other young gangs from back in the 70's/80's other than the ususal football ones?

Edited by Churchill

It was near that field/spare land inbetween Settle Street, Mancroft, Bridgeman Street/Lever Street and Bishop Bridgeman...

There used to be a massive wall there, not-so colourfully nicknamed the 'Great Wall of China' - which had a legend attached that (insert name of local feral child/nutter) had jumped off it on (usually someone else's) Raleigh Burner.

It (the graffiti) inspired a certain amount of fear when we were walking past it to get to High Street Baths with Primary School.

• Moderators

all round the walls of Horwich in the late 80s it was 

HBI,and BBI

(Horwich / Brazley Boys International)

I didn't know who was in them gangs, but rumours are they were hard

not sure if BBI was a splinter group come rival or whatever

don't think they did owt on an international scale either

reckon NB and BCG will know more about them, I was only about 11

Guest Frandsen08

It was near that field/spare land inbetween Settle Street, Mancroft, Bridgeman Street/Lever Street and Bishop Bridgeman...

There used to be a massive wall there, not-so colourfully nicknamed the 'Great Wall of China' - which had a legend attached that (insert name of local feral child/nutter) had jumped off it on (usually someone else's) Raleigh Burner.

It (the graffiti) inspired a certain amount of fear when we were walking past it to get to High Street Baths with Primary School.

is the 'great wall' no longer there?

I think it still is but there's new houses built on 'top' of it so...well, there's no would-be Eddie Kidds or Evil Knievels taking it on these days.

Plus it's actually about only about 9ft, or 10ft maximum, high in reality - which lessens the impact now one is about 6ft 2". :(

Guest Frandsen08

I think it still is but there's new houses built on 'top' of it so...well, there's no would-be Eddie Kidds or Evil Knievels taking it on these days.

Plus it's actually about only about 9ft, or 10ft maximum, high in reality - which lessens the impact now one is about 6ft 2". :(

i found a stack nudie mags on top of that wall many moons ago. 

The (sometimes unnerving) wonder of Google Maps - the view of the 'Great Wall' as it is today (or recently), it's ace how your imagination as a kid deceives you...

Edit: Finally managed to get a 'Panorama' shot (off Googlemaps) of the Eight Wonder of Great Lever in it's (almost) entirety..

Edited by Youri McAnespie

HBI,and BBI

Similar to the HBC (Horsforth Bad Crew) over Leeds way.

I remember when i used to go to my Grandparents in G/L every Sunday with my parents we used to walk past a big wall that was next to Bishop Bridgeman school, and in big white letter was 'Pike mill Mafia', i used to think one of my family members was in it but apparently not, either that or he was sworn to secrecy like the real mafia! Anyhow anyone got a clue what it was all about, or if it was just like 'Free the Salford 5' which is all over Salford subways, which i imagine is aload of chavs thinking they are bigtime! Any other young gangs from back in the 70's/80's other than the ususal football ones?

yes i knew a few of the lads  bk in the day

HBI,and BBI

The only nawty boys I know used calling cards rather than spray paint :)

I think you will find The Daubhill Beach Boys ruled the roost back in the day. No need for spray paint, just put out the deck chairs on Daubhill Beach and people knew not to mess..........

the wanderer 1958 is right is what he says,but the Pike Mill Mafia were active in those days and basically the Rupert's youth team and knocked about on Bobby Heywood's park until the local Abduls spanked them  :glare:

Most reside in the Brooklyn nowadays with their pipes,slippers and crown green bowls.

BTW  - Daubhill Beach boys  -  only ones to ''take care'' of the asian ''Warriors'' as reported recently in the 'looking back' section of the Bolton  News from early September 1988 when 200 honkys trashed the invaders :innocent:

the wanderer 1958 is right is what he says,but the Pike Mill Mafia were active in those days and basically the Rupert's youth team and knocked about on Bobby Heywood's park until the local Abduls spanked them :glare:

Most reside in the Brooklyn nowadays with their pipes,slippers and crown green bowls.

BTW - Daubhill Beach boys - only ones to ''take care'' of the asian ''Warriors'' as reported recently in the 'looking back' section of the Bolton News from early September 1988 when 200 honkys trashed the invaders :innocent:

Is there a link to that BEN report? we played the Bolton Asians on that pitch near the Nevada about 50 of them on the line many with cricket bats just the 12 of us the game lasted 1/2 hour when one of our lads took exception to a bad challenge, it was like Zulu as we all retreated with haste into the back of a box van to safety.

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Members

The Hoggy 4 Nessa paint on Turner Bridge Road garages must be 40 years old now. Who were they?

Don't know if it's wise to type full names on here. I do know who Linda and Vanessa are/were though.

Dust want a PM lad?

Edited by bolty58

• Members

Is there a link to that BEN report? we played the Bolton Asians on that pitch near the Nevada about 50 of them on the line many with cricket bats just the 12 of us the game lasted 1/2 hour when one of our lads took exception to a bad challenge, it was like Zulu as we all retreated with haste into the back of a box van to safety.

1969-70-ish that entire area around Queens Park was ***i bashing central. Used to be fucking mental. They'd be playing cricket and loads of Bolton skins, bootboys etc. would be lurking in the rhodedendrons until the 'Charge!' shout went out. First one in usually ended up with a broken arm or similar through being daft enough to pick out the nearest batsman.

Looking back, it was an endless cycle of fighting on the terraces, fighting at the Palais and other nightclubs throughout the North West, chasing the poor ***i's around and then feytin' greasy, leather clad bastards on boring 'off' days where there was no football or night club to attend so we had fook all to do.

Can't speak for Zulu or others who were on the scene at that time but I remain astonished that I only have relatively few scars having negotiated all of that.