Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton 0 Cardiff 1 Fa Cup

stevieb

• Site Supporter

But get them playing well and they're then more attractive to other clubs an will go quicker; even on a free...therefore quicker off the oh so high wagebill

when he was recruited, if DF's mandate was to get rid of the shite and build from youth, why would he take a step back from Palace where the youth from a previous regime were already coming through? Strange career step - and I don't buy it that he came here purely for the money

He came, at the time, because our squad and set up had more potential than Palace; success was deeper routed and we were better suited for it to be sustainable; not a flash in the pan - go up and get tatered every week

That had changed immeasurably since....and he must shoulder some of the blame....along with the Board, the players and the previous 2 Managers etc

His plan may be to bring through the youth now, but this is a recent exclamation from him....after the poor performances previously; not a set mandate since he started here

this.. We've only been out of the premiership 2 years..

Surely these youth (ave age 20), would have been brought through the system to try and break into a Premiership team against premiership opponents.. Just because the 1st teams gone down, it doesn't mean the standard of players in the youth set up has,

Where would the club be if our fathers and grandfathers had stopped going?

Keep the faith.

Ah ...... but where would our club have been (and be now) if the men in charge back then had accepted mediocrity and an attitude of 'but we've no divine right to be in this new-fangled League thingy nor to be bigger than Bolton Olympic, Bolton Association, Bolton Rovers, Astley Bridge, Great Lever, Eagley, Turton ..... '.

• Site Supporter

I thought Knight had a good game yesterday.

But I don't understand why he goes forward for corners when (despite his height) he never seems to influence what happens in their box. Even running across their keeper's sightline would be something.

Gets marked by their best aerial defender. .

Gives our aerial attack more chance.

• Site Supporter

One thing I noticed yesterday:

At Cardiff corners we're used to seeing all 11 Bolton players defending in the box. Yesterday, however, Cardiff had a free kick just outside the box and we defended what, to me seemed a more dangerous position than a corner and we left two players on the half-way line.

• Moderators

When did you last see a decent corner delivered?

our corners were shit last season

then dawson arroived and the takers suddenly learned what to do

then dawson left

the takers forgot what to do

this might not be true and it might be that the balls in aren't as bad as they appear and its up to the blokes in the middle to make something of them

That, yesterday, & not for the first time this season, was absolute dogshit. It was freezing (admittedly not Dougie's fault), boring (that was his fault) & I was looking at the scoreboard thinking oh Jesus there's 20 mins of this left.

It's not 1 specific thing, it's everything. Because Dougie speaks so eloquently & calmly he gives the impression of a man in control, a man of experience & I think that he thinks he's better than he is.

A few things again stood out yesterday. We hardly had a shot on target, yet another 'individual' mistake (they're now very common under Dougie these individual mistakes) & our 'style' of play seems to be a lot of short, sideways passing followed by a back pass to Mills who I'm sure is on a bonus based on how hard & high he can lump it forward. Cardiff are bottom of the prem, had half a side out & were there to be put under pressure. The minute they put a half decent striker on we conceded. We better not sign Joe Mason, he's a nothing player who did nothing for us & did nothing again yesterday.

Dougie came with my backing, but I'm now in the enough's enough camp. Boring football, players that aren't playing for him, poor judgement (Knight for captain), inconsistent selection of players, no consistency of shape, regular mistakes, poor loan signings, dreadful home record, conceding 7 etc. etc.

Most championship managers will have to contend with injuries, players that want away, tight budgets etc but let's not forget he's a UEFA qualified coach being paid a fucking fortune to deal with these things. He's not dealing with it all very we'll & I can't see any light at the end of the tunnel.

I thought we played ok yesterday, we were after all up against a prem side whether they are a good or shit prem side they're till a prem side and after what happened last weekened i thought the players showed some kind of improvement, i thought a draw would've been a fair result

Oh and for the record another piss poor turn out from our lot, it's fucking embarrassing

Edited by mannyroad58

It's three quarters of our average home league support. And three thousand more than the Cup holders (I hate saying that), who are just on the fringe of the play-offs, managed.

To be honest, even though I was there, I wasn't too pissed off at losing...subconsciously I wonder if that was partly to do with not seeing this bunch as worthy of pulling on the shirt...imagine if we did win it - Zat Knight bouncing up and down with the Cup on the Wembley turf, scarf round his neck? Would feel like an insult to the memory of Lofty and Hopky, and to Hartle, Banks and co. Don't get me wrong, I want to see us lift it before I die, but I'd much rather those doing the lifting honoured the proud traditions of our club.

It's three quarters of our average home league support.

Is it though? Our declared league attendances include season ticket holders whether they actually attend or not, & from what I understand there's a big difference this season between actual & declared attendances. I'd say Saturday's numbers won't be far off next season's average the way we're going.