Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

This Scotch Vote

no balls

Bbc's revenues abroad are massive.. Might be funded by the TV licence but it's certainly not their only income

Indeed, stuff like Top Gear and Doctor Who sell all over the world, having said that, the BBC also buy in a lot of television as well

Anyone see the debate last night. I'm not Brown's biggest fan but I thought he knocked spots of Salmond. He still can answer the simple question, what if the UKsaysyou can't use the pound?

He's great at sound bites but I actually think he'll be happier with a narrow No vote. Gets more powers, can still use the independance soapbox about a lot of people still want independance without any if the actual headaches.

Whatever happens we're on a very exciting path, greater devolution for the regions would be welcome as long as it's not just another layer of political beaucracy. We're at a real crossroads, people are sick to death if the three main parties who feel they are all disconnected to the real people (and this us UK wide not just the north) change is going to come.

people are sick to death if the three main parties who feel they are all disconnected to the real people (and this us UK wide not just the north) change is going to come.

Seems reasonable but if politicians are so disconnected how are they supposed to successfully deliver any of this change or be able to give people what they want? What do people want? There is a lot of talk about more power to the regions but the trouble with that is that outside of a few inbreds in Cornwall no-one in England is interested in it. I'm not sure all that much change is going to come. Not except that English MPs in Parliament will have to put two days a week aside to do England only stuff while the other three days they do union stuff.

Incidentally the first act of a future Tate government will be to restore to businesses the right to allow people to smoke inside theirpremises if that's what people want to do.

Edited by Maggie Tate

Anyone see the debate last night. I'm not Brown's biggest fan but I thought he knocked spots of Salmond. He still can answer the simple question, what if the UKsaysyou can't use the pound?

He's great at sound bites but I actually think he'll be happier with a narrow No vote. Gets more powers, can still use the independance soapbox about a lot of people still want independance without any if the actual headaches.

Whatever happens we're on a very exciting path, greater devolution for the regions would be welcome as long as it's not just another layer of political beaucracy. We're at a real crossroads, people are sick to death if the three main parties who feel they are all disconnected to the real people (and this us UK wide not just the north) change is going to come.

Whatever the result, Salmond will claim victory

Seems reasonable but if politicians are so disconnected how are they supposed to successfully deliver any of this change or be able to give people what they want? What do people want? There is a lot of talk about more power to the regions but the trouble with that is that outside of a few inbreds in Cornwall no-one in England is interested in it. I'm not sure all that much change is going to come. Not except that English MPs in Parliament will have to put two days a week aside to do England only stuff while the other three days they do union stuff.

Incidentally the first act of a future Tate government will be to restore to businesses the right to allow people to smoke inside theirpremises if that's what people want to do.

It's the people that don't want them to smoke that matter, and rightly so.

'Don't impose your smelly, unhealthy habits on others' seems fair policy to me.

Seems reasonable but if politicians are so disconnected how are they supposed to successfully deliver any of this change or be able to give people what they want? What do people want? There is a lot of talk about more power to the regions but the trouble with that is that outside of a few inbreds in Cornwall no-one in England is interested in it. I'm not sure all that much change is going to come. Not except that English MPs in Parliament will have to put two days a week aside to do England only stuff while the other three days they do union stuff.

People never know what they want, but there is a massive disconnect between the public and the parties at the moment, which is why you get UKIP, SNP and a few years back the BNP stepping into the vacum. I'd suggest it happened around the end of New Labour's first term. They were too hesitant and didn't get through as many policies as they could have with their majority. The Tories were a shambles and New Labour just became focused on winning elections so they needed to keep the Home Counties on side and close, meaning they started being far removed from their heartland support and turned into a simply centerist party. Nothing between the main three parties and therefore no alternatives, to the public all parties became an out of touch Westminster elite rather than our elected representatives. All three were afraid to touch on issues such as immigration, the Tories because they were trying to reinvent themselves as a more human, less judgmental party to get back their core support which had changed since the mid 80s, labour because it went against what their overall brand was. It is a mistake not to tackle concerns such as this head on instead of dismissing them as views of just a small select band of nutters. It allowed misrepresentation of the facts and showed how out of touch they all really had become. Then the expenses issue just justified what many had already thought Westminster had become. New Labour was not the great dawn, in response to how toxic the Tories had become towards the end of their tenure. It showed that whichever way you vote, it's all the same except the colour of the rosette. People were tired of the lies, the wars and the scandals. We didn't even give one party a majority at the last election, that shows how fragmented peoples views on party politics have become.

So Things are changing, they have to, even if it's just the way our politicians relate to the public. People want they to be more accountable, and to acknowledge the issues at a local rather than just a national level more. The north east assembly was roundly laughed away when they had a chance, if the vote was held today it would be considerably closer.

All three need to work harder to win back the public's trust and they've got a hell of a job to do this.