Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Price Of Football, Again

L/H White

The demand is there argument why should they drop prices is fair enough, 96% to capacity in prem.

But the bubble will burst and when people can't be arsed going, sky won't pay the top whack. Then the clubs will want the fans back, well fuck them.

Prices levelling off for 5 years tells me this is as high a charge as they can get.

Prices for Boro fans in the League Cup at Old Trafford are between £45 and £55...with even under 21s being between about £35 and £40 I think. If/when we do ever go back up, I'm not sure I'll bother with aways - those kinds of prices are a fucking piss take. In fact I'd stopped going to Old Trafford the last couple of years in the Prem as it was when they went over 40 quid - and ditto Anfield. Mad fucking Boro fans have sold 8,600 though and asked for another 1400! And there's the rub I guess, until people stop paying, they'll keep charging what they think they can get away with. Well count me well and truly out.

Ticket prices, particularly away from home have fallen considerably over the last 15 years in real terms.

There was only adult and child before and now there are all sorts of age concessions.

Adult prices have fallen too, but not to the same extent, and I guess we always benefitted by being a lower category visiting team when in Prem.

On a separate note Liverpools game at City would cost £100 for an adult and U16 ticket.

That's bollocks. Yes, away matches are understandably lower in the Championship than the Prem, but prices are way higher now than 15 years ago. I found a ticket stub the other day from Anfield in 2003 - it was £23...about half of what it would cost now. Not many people's wages have doubled in that time. Apart from anyone connected to football.

Edited by davidjack

That doesn't make it right though

I know that, but while people are happy to pay it, they'll keep charging....and slowly keep pushing up the price season after season.

If I had a business that was selling product hand over fist, I too would be looking to keep increasing the price in order to maximise revenue.....so what Football Clubs are doing is no different to what other businesses do. At some point, they may get to the point where it is too expensive and people start voting with their feet, but that looks to be a long way off yet

That's bollocks. Yes, away matches are understandably lower but prices are way higher now than 15 years ago. I found a ticket stub the other day from Anfield in 2003 - it was £23...about half of what it would cost now.

It's certainly not bollocks.

I have kept every away stub since my son was 3 and he is now 17. Note my comment about children's prices having fallen more than adults.

Compounding inflation of 3% over 13 years gives a 50% premium in itself.