Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Town Centre Latest

Smiley

57 minutes ago, Horwich said:

Just seen a youtube video about the marketplace and realised I dont think I have been in there since 2017 and I work in town 🤣🤣

It’s a shame, they’ve done a  cracking job on the vaults but I don’t think it gets the custom they were expecting. I might be wrong though as that was about 18 months ago when I last went

12 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Are any towns busy mid week? Was I Southampton last night, was dead after the show at 10.30.

2 hours ago, Spider said:

London and manchester

I know London is always busy, I don't know about Manchester as I've not been there for over 20 years. I spend a bit of time away from home during the week, and pretty much every town is dead after about 8pm

• Site Supporter
34 minutes ago, Sweep said:

I know London is always busy, I don't know about Manchester as I've not been there for over 20 years. I spend a bit of time away from home during the week, and pretty much every town is dead after about 8pm

Manchester is heaving almost every night now. Lot of business folk around during the week, which helps.

35 minutes ago, Sweep said:

I don't know what's going on at the moment - maybe the weather but London is rammed at the moment - every pub seems to be spilling out on the street, Monday after work was like a Friday night at the pub opposite the office. 

As good a place as any to put it....albeit not Bolton town centre, this is right up @Not in Crawleystreet...

Biggleswade town centre close to where I live has suffered like most town centres, although recently it's had a bit of a revival, and that has led to a lovely old building, that used to be a Cinema, and then became a Pizza Express, that closed down in the pandemic, becoming a home for "arty farty" type projects.

It was a fucking eyesore, but has been transformed over the pasty few months, and is a real community project, that can only bring people into the town, and generally improve the area. The council actually turned down an application from Nandos, and instead went with this: The BIGG Build (thebiggtheatre.co.uk)

It opens in the next few weeks and apparently will give loacal artists somewhere to showcase their wares, as well as being a local theatre. I believe they're also hoping to attract some popular names/talent in order to get the place up and running.

Fuck knows what it's actually adding onto my council tax, but it's got to be worth it rather than having a lovely building go to rack and ruin...

Let's see how long it lasts, before Nandos come back in and buy it 😁

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Spider said:

London and manchester

2 hours ago, Sweep said:

went to a gig on a thursday in manc a while back, the walk from piccadilly to victoria and everywhere was busy in the NQ, surprisingly so, even for a thursday

got a gig on a tuesday coming up, so will have a mooch out before that to see what's going on

4 hours ago, Sweep said:

As good a place as any to put it....albeit not Bolton town centre, this is right up @Not in Crawleystreet...

Biggleswade town centre close to where I live has suffered like most town centres, although recently it's had a bit of a revival, and that has led to a lovely old building, that used to be a Cinema, and then became a Pizza Express, that closed down in the pandemic, becoming a home for "arty farty" type projects.

It was a fucking eyesore, but has been transformed over the pasty few months, and is a real community project, that can only bring people into the town, and generally improve the area. The council actually turned down an application from Nandos, and instead went with this: The BIGG Build (thebiggtheatre.co.uk)

It opens in the next few weeks and apparently will give loacal artists somewhere to showcase their wares, as well as being a local theatre. I believe they're also hoping to attract some popular names/talent in order to get the place up and running.

Fuck knows what it's actually adding onto my council tax, but it's got to be worth it rather than having a lovely building go to rack and ruin...

Let's see how long it lasts, before Nandos come back in and buy it 😁

What those bad boys need as a very reasonably priced, very experienced on new build projects, friendly and creative agency to do some targeted digital campaigns for them.

I might know of one....

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Not in Crawley said:

What those bad boys need as a very reasonably priced, very experienced on new build projects, friendly and creative agency to do some targeted digital campaigns for them.

I might know of one....

I’m not sure it becoming a Wetherspoons by next summer is what they have in mind

3 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

I might know of one....

I'm going having a nosey this weekend.....I'll see if I can get some sort of contact name for you. I'll just look for the person with the winkle pickers and walking cane, as I'm sure that'll be the correct person

13 hours ago, Spider said:

London and manchester

Brum, Liverpool, Leeds etc the big city hubs are busy thanks to the sheer number of folk living and working in the centres.

Satellite towns around these cities are struggling thanks to suburban living and out of town office parks taking footfall out of the town centres.

13 hours ago, Sweep said:

I'm going having a nosey this weekend.....I'll see if I can get some sort of contact name for you. I'll just look for the person with the winkle pickers and walking cane, as I'm sure that'll be the correct person

Is this the one in Biggleswade? (I take it hence the name)

If so, the head of marketing at LW Theatres is a co-founder. I only knew as she looked me up on Linkedin yesterday. I would have thought she's pretty much got it all under control. And she's from Chorley.

1 hour ago, Not in Crawley said:

Is this the one in Biggleswade? (I take it hence the name)

If so, the head of marketing at LW Theatres is a co-founder. I only knew as she looked me up on Linkedin yesterday. I would have thought she's pretty much got it all under control. And she's from Chorley.

Yes, it's the one in Biggleswade. I'll leave it to you then...

If you do anything with them, let me know, especially if you decide to visit - I'll treat to you a Negroni in a half decent bar I know :)  -  I'll even dust off my winklepickers for the occasion

11 minutes ago, Sweep said:

If you do anything with them, let me know, especially if you decide to visit - I'll treat to you a Negroni in a half decent bar I know :)  -  I'll even dust off my winklepickers for the occasion

Yeah might drop her a line - let me know how its coming along.

1 hour ago, Sweep said:

Grooming.