Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Town Centre Latest

Smiley

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2017/aug/23/bolton-response-market-city-decline

That's the follow up article. I like the vaults and the cinema. I'm Hoping bow street car park is alright too. Late in the day but hopefully a comeback.

Andy Walton is the gonk that threw a tantrum when the quickquid sponsorship were announced.

i remember not getting into the playoffs , then getting relegated , then not being able to buy anyone.

hmmm ..

Andy Walton is the gonk that threw a tantrum when the quickquid sponsorship were announced.

i remember not getting into the playoffs , then getting relegated , then not being able to buy anyone.

hmmm ..

Fuck off - Don't associate him with me

Fuck off - Don't associate him with me

i know.

i remember seeing a youtube vid of some out-of-town mp hysterically screaming about it with a bullhorn or megaphone somewhere in bolton (probably on the townhall steps) .

It were the same one that lost it when they wanted to put winston churchill on the fiver. (although that were more over elizabeth fry being replaced , iirc).

losing to leicester, remembering that sheffield united were sponsored by Capital One fairly recently.

all that pissed me off...

Interesting article in the MEN.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/town-centre-thriving-bigger-neighbours-13516878?ICID=apple_news_trunc

The end of the article seems to be give a positive spin to the future of the Town Centre.

Leader of bury council

There is high-quality retail mixed with leisure, a cinema, bowling and restaurants all within a square mile. Bury’s offer is almost unique and our planning policies deter out-of-town retail. We are ensuring that development is in and around our town centre and it seems to have worked very, very well.”

A lesson for Bolton there

Leader of bury council

There is high-quality retail mixed with leisure, a cinema, bowling and restaurants all within a square mile. Bury’s offer is almost unique and our planning policies deter out-of-town retail. We are ensuring that development is in and around our town centre and it seems to have worked very, very well.”

A lesson for Bolton there

A lesson that won't be learned

Bolton council rakes in big money from the Middlebrook that could easily be going to Chorley or Wigan councils if the retail park was situated a couple of miles away with the same negative effect on the town centre. Not sure what lesson could have been learned.

Doesn't fit the narrative mate so must be horseshit. :)

Bolton council rakes in big money from the Middlebrook that could easily be going to Chorley or Wigan councils if the retail park was situated a couple of miles away with the same negative effect on the town centre. Not sure what lesson could have been learned.

I'll give you Middlebrook but...

The one where Toys R Us is

The one near the station with Sainsburys and decathlon

The one with Maplin and B&M on Manny road

The one with B&Q / Dunelm

That's a big Next, a B&M, a maplin, a TK maxx, a Boots, a Currys a another Argos and probably a couple of other shops that could have done well in the town centre. We've fucking loads of retail parks on the edges of town that detract from the town centre. 

• Moderators

That's a big Next, a B&M, a maplin, a TK maxx, a Boots, a Currys a another Argos and probably a couple of other shops that could have done well in the town centre. We've fucking loads of retail parks on the edges of town that detract from the town centre.

Never really thought of it tbh but it's a good point

Toys r us one is a right mess though

I think everything else has shut

Whatever the rights and wrongs, I'm not having it that Morris pitching bolton as a Manc satellite town aids boltons retail offerings

That's what the mighty Bury have done.

The transport links in Bury are good from the direction of Manchester and nowhere else for all the fuss.

Bury town centre might do better than Bolton but the bigger picture is in Bolton's favour thanks to Middlebrook.

Edited by RoadRunnerFan

Any body been the food thing

Not had chance today and out tmrw night so probably won't make it

Spent the afternoon there. Plenty of people about and some subtle changes from last year. A large beer garden in Le Mans Crescent and an Aldi wine garden in the town hall square. Pretty much the same type of food outlets spread around the market. A special mention for the butter stall on Deansgate run by one of our former posters.

Had a great day and well worth a visit.

A big carpet store, A pizza hut and Bensons beds next to Dunelm and Currys. 35 years back you had the likes of Graham Eddlestone's carpet store thriving  in the town centre.

• Site Supporter

Never really thought of it tbh but it's a good point

Toys r us one is a right mess though

I think everything else has shut

Staples is still there, the robbing bastards.

Jump Xtreme is there and is good. Their £50 season ticket over the 6 week holiday has saved us a fucking fortune