Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Town Centre Latest

Smiley

Mate sold his house on Chorley New Rd opposite Bolton School the other month. Got just less than he paid for it 10 years earlier. That's a joke!

House round corner from us in Flixton, virtually same size as ours is being listed at £150K more than we paid for ours 4 years ago and I believe its less developed than ours. Prices gone crazy recently in Trafford. Been plenty of development in Urmston town centre. New bars, restaurants, etc. 10 mins on the train into centre of Manchester. Talk that they are going to replicate the food hall that Altrincham has (which attracts many folk from the NW).

Mate sold his house on Chorley New Rd opposite Bolton School the other month. Got just less than he paid for it 10 years earlier. That's a joke!

House round corner from us in Flixton, virtually same size as ours is being listed at £150K more than we paid for ours 4 years ago and I believe its less developed than ours. Prices gone crazy recently in Trafford. Been plenty of development in Urmston town centre. New bars, restaurants, etc. 10 mins on the train into centre of Manchester. Talk that they are going to replicate the food hall that Altrincham has (which attracts many folk from the NW).

For a small suburb, Urmston has plenty going for it. Loads of investment has finally borne fruit.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/property/article-3515454/The-worst-place-buy-house-Britain-century.html

There you go. Look at prices on Zoopla for the old fire station flats, folk have paid £140k for those and you could pick them up for £40k now.

My take is that there are other areas that will be gentrified before that particular wave hits Bolton.

Aye potentially

I lived in Monton back in 2012, completely different place now and prices have soared

Also surprised to see Liverpool city centre on your link, they have literally gone bonkers building there, somebody must be snapping them up, perhaps they just aren't increasing in value though

• Moderators

Aye potentially

I lived in Monton back in 2012, completely different place now and prices have soared

Also surprised to see Liverpool city centre on your link, they have literally gone bonkers building there, somebody must be snapping them up, perhaps they just aren't increasing in value though

didnt fowler own hundreds of houses in liverpool?

For a small suburb, Urmston has plenty going for it. Loads of investment has finally borne fruit.

Sure has. Since I moved to the area, we've had 4 new bars open in the centre. One very shoddy bar get a total refurb and rebrand (Champs sports bar - rarely go in). 4 new restaurants. This in turn has meant the existing bars and restaurants have had to up their game. All good for the consumer.

The downside will be what becomes of the William Wroe golf course. I'm hoping for a boating lake, apartments, walking & running tracks and maybe a smaller pitch and putt. The Tory council want 750 "affordable" houses.

Urmston is often downwind of the sewage works at Barton Bridge and smells of a million day old turds.

Davyhulme gets the brunt of it. Urmston does occasionally. Flixton very rarely reaches. Though we do sometimes get the stench from the farmers fields when they spread muck!

• Site Supporter

Sure has. Since I moved to the area, we've had 4 new bars open in the centre. One very shoddy bar get a total refurb and rebrand (Champs sports bar - rarely go in). 4 new restaurants. This in turn has meant the existing bars and restaurants have had to up their game. All good for the consumer.

The downside will be what becomes of the William Wroe golf course. I'm hoping for a boating lake, apartments, walking & running tracks and maybe a smaller pitch and putt. The Tory council want 750 "affordable" houses.

Davyhulme gets the brunt of it. Urmston does occasionally. Flixton very rarely reaches. Though we do sometimes get the stench from the farmers fields when they spread muck!

The thing is that the 'treated' sewage is allowed to seep into the fields and irrigation channels either side of the M62 half way to Warrington, so when the weather conditions are right, the stench is fetid.

But they could probably grow 12 ft tall carrots in those fields if they wanted to

Trafford council are bob on

They've restricted and denied some developments in their "posh" areas eg Hale, invested massively in areas that they realised were worth it (Altrincham - Goose Green as well as the market), and are now spreading to areas like Urmston. 2 years ago that was not a nice place for a night out but it's starting to look good now

Cliff could do with having a chat with them

didnt fowler own hundreds of houses in liverpool?

Oldham - 84 of em - quite a few near me

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/local-news/city-striker-aims-to-get-result-with-oldham-1153477

But this is the best bit of the article.......

Oldham Athletic and Liverpool FC fan Derek Hewitt, 44, who lives in a house owned by the footballer in Burder Street, Hollinwood, said: "Not many people know this - but it's true. Robbie Fowler's our landlord.

Edited by MancWanderer

• Site Supporter

what happened to the Restaurant they had planned in the Town Hall with outside seating faceing on too the fountins

more pie in the sky

I think someone pointed out that a Grade II listed building wouldn't be enhanced much with a restaurant.

• Members

Get more shops filled then it means more shoppers ... which will mean more folk staying around later and using restaurants. The same works in reverse too, get more nice eating and drinking places and folk are more likely to go in earlier and do a bit of shopping.

It's all about having the right set up with everything within a couple of minutes walk. Massive fuck up years ago with the satellite shopping areas but hopefully lessons have been learned and it's back on the right track now.

Is there a "Sports Bar" in Bolton town centre?

Again, sorry for harping on about Urmston, but they have "Champs". Full of screens everywhere. And a huge wall screen that splits into around 9 smaller screens. All sports memorabilia here and there. Attracts some knobheads, but good for the main sporting events. Always seems busy.