Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Town Centre Latest

Smiley

All the money that's been spent on Newport St, has it been worth it really, its all cosmetic, the shops are the same, so surely it will still attractive the same type of 'customers'. If the aim is to make the shopping area more compact and as it is the 'gateway' to the town centre would it not have been better to start again and not bother spending many millions of rebuilding the lower end of Bradshawgate.

If it's 'finished' (Newport Street) then they should withhold any payments outstanding...The benches favver abandoned flight cases and are already looking tatty and marked, and the top end, near the old Boots/Home Bargains - last fifty metres, it looks as if they've ran out of slabs as the paving gives way to an unedged splodge of tarmac with the odd bit of the old ochre block paving skirting it...Shite.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

I thought it might be something temporary - for fair-weather arty farty snobs to enjoy to the detriment of the lifeblood of the town; tramps, old dears and groomers :(...

Nah, I did think it might be temporary - thought it might be for storage or for wagons etc. to turn at the interchange works, but let's see how long it's like that for - my guess? All of 2017 at least.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

For me the biggest crime in Bolton centre is the lack of investment recognising the towns industrial heritage. 

I visited Halifax a few months ago and they have built a shopping centre around an old mill which is visually excellent as well as the Piece Hall. Bolton has pulled down all the interesting old mills near the centre that could have been developed.

If you visit Bolton for the first time these days you would never know what this town was all about 100 years ago.

For me the biggest crime in Bolton centre is the lack of investment recognising the towns industrial heritage.

I visited Halifax a few months ago and they have built a shopping centre around an old mill which is visually excellent as well as the Piece Hall. Bolton has pulled down all the interesting old mills near the centre that could have been developed.

If you visit Bolton for the first time these days you would never know what this town was all about 100 years ago.

Went to Halifax for a gig recently and it looked a great place.

• Moderators

"“There are a lot of people interested in our town centre and we are doing extremely well.” says Cliff.

Well that's alright then!

We've spent £100 million investing in the Albert Halls, to host a fucking Showaddywaddy gig FFS.

Some interesting points, particularly that the regeneration of Manchester is being driven by more people living in the city centre. 25 years ago Ancoats for example was a dump, no successful professionals would want to live there but now its got trendy converted mills and hipster cafes.

Hopefully more people living in Bolton town centre will increase the need for shops and leisure activities.Even more students is better than nothing, areas of Preston city centre have benefited from the student pound.There is a need for more office jobs in the town centre, the thought behind attempting to keep the likes of Asons in town is correct

An interesting thought that Bury town centre is luckier than Bolton because it has affluent north manchester suburbs of Prestwich and the like close to it rather than Little Hulton.Other than its market i don't really think Bury is any better than Bolton.The new area of shops on the Rock is too far from the bus station for many pensioners to walk