Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Full Moon

jules_darby

Yes there is a vestigial part of my brain that the concept makes intuitive sense to. Thankfully - science can step in and stop me from thinking like a caveman :-)

:)  ha ha!  I've said my peace which is, as usual for me, sitting somewhat on the fence.  I honestly believe a true scientist wouldn't accept hypothesis or conclusions/theories as absolute truths.  

Doesn't old Iron side say something like that in one of his books - as in science is just theories.  They don't fundamentally explain the nature of the world around us but allow us to make sense out of something that is ultimately unknowable.  Whilst not thinking the moon beams down telepathic signals when full I'm open to the idea that it may have effects that we aren't fully aware of.  

I think that is a fair assumption, not really cave man logic :)  No ones addressed this yet but what would happen to life if we took away the moon?  An aside, granted, but if it would affect us by not being there then . . .

• Moderators

Come on, is there not a tiny bit of you that thinks maybe? Just maybe?

Scientifically/physically absolutely not, not in the same way you can prove the moons effect on tides etc

But I am sure that because we've had 000s of years of pre science thinking that there might be more to it, there will be some psychological effect on some people

I'm sure someone walking to the pub on a clear full moon night may admire the beauty of it and it then puts them in a good mood for the evening

Equally it may be the catalyst for someone to decide to bludgeon their family to death

Shit happens, full moon or not, it doesn't correlate, even though some think it does

That's fascinating Youri (not being sarcastic). Consciousness is a strange concept in that it's completely subjective. There's a bloke called Dr Eben Alexander who wrote a book called 'Proof of Heaven'. In it he describes his own near death experience in which he 'saw God'. He's a Neurosurgeon so you'd expect him to be able to put his experience into the context of what happens to the brain when it's 'near death' - but he can't. He's convinced that his experience proves that there is life after death and so on and so forth.

Well it certainly put paid to my previous practices of stealing lead off church roofs, shagging prostitutes, setting fire to sleeping tramps and embezzling charities to buy and consume cocaine and heroin...Just on the off chance of an after death existance in the Abrahamic tradition. :)

• Moderators

That's fascinating Youri (not being sarcastic). Consciousness is a strange concept in that it's completely subjective. There's a bloke called Dr Eben Alexander who wrote a book called 'Proof of Heaven'. In it he describes his own near death experience in which he 'saw God'. He's a Neurosurgeon so you'd expect him to be able to put his experience into the context of what happens to the brain when it's 'near death' - but he can't. He's convinced that his experience proves that there is life after death and so on and so forth.

It would be interesting to take a person, in a truman show type way, and have them develop in life with absolutely no mention or notion of God, heaven, etc, and then give them a few near death experiences to see what they see

• Site Supporter

I've only scanned the last couple of pages.

From what I can gather, we have established that Jesus lives on the moon, Youri nearly drowned in a pair of massive tits full of LSD, and cheese is now Brian Cox.

Love this site, me, I do.

Edited by Spider

I've only scanned the last couple of pages.

From what I can gather, we have established that Jesus lives on the moon, Youri nearly drowned in a pair of massive tits full of LSD, and cheese is now Brian Cox.

Love this site, me, I do.

Beats talking about the football . . . 

Edited by madthatter

It would be interesting to take a person, in a truman show type way, and have them develop in life with absolutely no mention or notion of God, heaven, etc, and then give them a few near death experiences to see what they see

Not sure it'd be any different than white lights and jesus and the rest.

God's either real or He's not, if He's not , at least more than one ancient civilization independently invented the concept.

who's to say Truman Burbank wouldnt be the first pope or whatever ?

• Moderators

God's either real or He's not, if He's not , at least more than one ancient civilization independently invented the concept.

Yeah but they did that when they thought the world was flat

For me you move with science

What we belived 200 and 2000 years ago seems ridiculous, to some, now

And no doubt as we discover more, certain things we beleive now will seem daft in another few hundred or thousands years, maybe even 20

Don't get me wrong, we know nowt in the grand scheme of things, but we know enough by now to know that a bright light in the sky isnt the real reason why people go mental from time to time, though it might not help

I were just refering to the Truman Show thing. Different people with no contact of one another might do the same thing.

A lot of it's circular reasoning, Godel and Boltzman and them liked pissing about with folk. And that were years after The Enlightenment.

last time this happened i couldn't believe it. Never noticed it before.

Edited by e2e4

I think you're misunderstanding what a "full moon" is. It isn't "closer than normal" or anything like that. A full moon doesn't affect the tides differently to a half moon, or a new moon. A full moon is simply the stage of alignment when the Earth casts no shadow on it.

Oh yes it does. At least full moon AND new moon have one effect and quarter moons have another.

Spring tides occur at full OR new moons, neap tides at quarter moons.

Try "Tidal Dynamics" by Fergal Wood for fuller information.

• Site Supporter

Oh yes it does. At least full moon AND new moon have one effect and quarter moons have another.

Spring tides occur at full OR new moons, neap tides at quarter moons.

Try "Tidal Dynamics" by Fergal Wood for fuller information.

That difference is caused by the gravitational pull of the sun becoming aligned with that of the moon. The pull of the moon itself doesn't magically change because it's lit up.

When left out biscuits go soft and cakes go hard.

Therefore jaffas are cakes. However, they are sized like a biscuit but it's impossible to eat anything other than 12 at a time.

In summary... They're ace, I don't give a fucking what they are.

There's load of stuff that can't be proven scientifically but still happens.

There's nothing in science to explain why blokes like tits. They are just big forms of blubber attached to a females body yet heterosexual men feel the need spaff on them.

Even more so during a full SAC I hasten to add.

• Site Supporter

When left out biscuits go soft and cakes go hard.

Therefore jaffas are cakes. However, they are sized like a biscuit but it's impossible to eat anything other than 12 at a time.

In summary... They're ace, I don't give a fucking what they are.

Here,

Make a big one

http://www.pimpthatsnack.com/project/332/