Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Charlton 1 Wanderers 1

embankment

Was lucky enough to visit the valley before it was redeveloped would think it was very early 80s the big terrace was similar to the embankment but down one side think it might not of been in use the day I went was around the time of Alan Simonsen playing for them can't remember what score it was.

In 1958 

CN1lA4iWsAApQru.jpg

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only ever been once. 1976 I think?

My Dad took me when we were down Surrey seeing his sister. Think we won 4-0 and all I really remember was that massive terrace

Have fun and stay safe everyone who's going

That was quite a notorious game because even though we won, West Brom won at Oldham & pipped us to promotion.

I was on FD's coach & there was quite a bit of trouble at the end that didn't go well for Bolton fans & FD was absolutely livid when he got back to the coach.  An eventful day !!

That was quite a notorious game because even though we won, West Brom won at Oldham & pipped us to promotion.

I was on FD's coach & there was quite a bit of trouble at the end that didn't go well for Bolton fans & FD was absolutely livid when he got back to the coach.  An eventful day !!

I remember my Dad being insistent on going to the match, and me being the willing accomplice to get away from his sister's family, him using the promotion excuse to go and watch the game. Don't remember any "afters" but I was only 12 and we were sat in the main stand opposite that massive terrace

The Charlton relegation game was 1983 (I think). It was us or them, winner took all. We had packed out the stand behind the goal singing "He shot, he missed it must be Ian Moores, Ian Moores" etc. and several rousing renditions of "One Man Went to Mow". Then Ian Moores scored and we thought we could stay up. If my memory serves me correctly (and it may not). Mike Doyle took a free kick and hit it against Derek Hales who was too close. The ref gave nothing and Hales ran away to score. The wheels then fell off and we lost 4-1 and were relegated. Remember getting the train back to Euston with my radio out of the window to listen to the other results as I could get a signal!

Our lot got on the SELNEC 400 to Oldham. Was a walk in the park for West Brom as the Oldham players didn't give a fuck. That was the first of two seasons we contrived to fuck up from a great position in April and May.

Another 1-2 today.

Edited by bgoefc

• Site Supporter

Our lot got on the SELNEC 400 to Oldham. Was a walk in the park for West Brom as the Oldham players didn't give a fuck. That was the first of two seasons we contrived to fuck up from a great position in April and May.

Another 1-2 today.

I was on the 400 that day, it was a bit lively at times!

I was on the 400 that day, it was a bit lively at times!

We used set off at 10am and get off to look for ale and entertainment in Bury and Rochdale town centres. Twas always a good away day at Oldham and I seem to remember a pub every 50 yards on Oldham Road around the top of Sheepfoot lane which ran down to the ground.