Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Can you tell me where I'm going wrong then? I'm just searching around the Internet and I'm getting that the current exchange rate is 1 euro = 0.88 sterling.

If you can point out where I'm going wrong, that would be great. Thanks!

Just a quick example and I'm getting that everywhere...https://www.exchangerates.org.uk/Euros-to-Pounds-currency-conversion-page.html

Suspect he looked up the reverse rate 🤦‍♂️

• Members
9 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Can you tell me where I'm going wrong then? I'm just searching around the Internet and I'm getting that the current exchange rate is 1 euro = 0.88 sterling.

If you can point out where I'm going wrong, that would be great. Thanks!

Just a quick example and I'm getting that everywhere...https://www.exchangerates.org.uk/Euros-to-Pounds-currency-conversion-page.html

if 1.00 EUR = 0.88 GBP then GBP is worth more.

1.00 GBP = 1.136 EUR

56 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Yea, it's all good now, got to the bottom of it in the end and all nicely balanced. Our new freelancer was using convertors instead of manual it seems, hence the discrepancy.

I’d be getting your uni educated partners to deal with the books… on top of the spelling. 😉 

6 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I’d be getting your uni educated partners to deal with the books… on top of the spelling. 😉 

Well, we do sales figures for all our shows on a Monday. It takes a fair bit of time so we employ a freelancer to do them, and they've only just started so they got a bit confused how to do Dublin as most of our current tours are UK only. So they wanted me to double check as I sign off/build the grids on all our sales before they go to clients.

As for the spelling, as I've said - I write the copy for the majority of our clients, I certainly don't proof. Neither do my co-directors, again we usually outsource to another freelancer who is a proofing machine and cheaper than us doing it on our hourly rates. 

That's the hourly rates a decent education buys you 😉 

6 minutes ago, Spider said:

What does Farage think of it all?

He is irrelevant. The DUP have the power to prevent Northern Ireland’s parliament returning. I’ve just heard one of their MPs basically saying he is not impressed. If they refuse to accept this then NI politics will remain in stalemate. 

5 hours ago, Cheese said:

You mean if the EU gave us free unfettered access to the Single Market without being in the Customs Union or a member of the EU? When you put your cross next to "Leave", did you not understand what it meant?

Where did I say we should have unfettered access to the single market? If the product is exactly the same as it was previously and was allowed through then surely that should still apply? Of course there should be checks on goods going into the single market to ensure they meet the required standards but surely these products already have been checked and found suitable? Hopefully under todays agreement a little basic common sense has been applied with both sides accepting the need for compromise. The past is now irrelevant and with luck a better relationship between the UK and EU going forward will result in more changes to the benefit of both sides. 🤗

5 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

This thread can descend into bligerant nonsense at times. So all I'd say is I get that the EU has become fixed as something it's not and never have been in your mind. I get that you want to kick out at the universality of globalisation centred around metropolitan hubs which leaves people behind in other parts of the UK, but I'd just ask you as well to have a listen to a broader base, perhaps read a bit further to try and understand why what you've written makes very little sense and moreover isn't grounded in any sort of reality that we're all living in.

I'm not telling you what to think, and I think certain parts of your grievances are valid, but they aren't going to be listened to if this is the sort of response to the situation we're in. Start with what is an Economic Union and then move onto what is a Customs Union. I'm not being flippant here, as your post seems to show you don't really understand what either are or how they work.

Prize post of the day. What on Earth are you on about? 🥴

• Site Supporter
11 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Considering no one knows the text yet, anyone making judgements either way is a fool. 

Twitter is marvellous for such things 😁

Hopefully the Old Firm can behave and just sign it off, assuming there are no absolute clangers in the paperwork.

In honestly I’m a bit relieved that Sunak seems capable of at least getting stuff over the line. It won’t suit everyone, that’s for certain, but he’s not stood in a room full of worried ulster business folk and lied his fucking head off like Boris did.

It’s not done yet though, and it doesn’t alter my situation with exports, but any progress is good.

3 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Shame - I thought I was being pretty clear and reasonable. I acknowledged he had valid concerns, I was simply....ah sod it.

Crawley you did accept that I had valid concerns I acknowledge that but you then go on in a patronising fashion to lecture me on what I don’t know but you do. Maybe if you just refrained from assuming everybody you disagree with is an idiot and knows nothing we could have a more intelligent debate rather than the antagonistic, muck slinging it regularly descends into. We disagree on the merits or otherwise of Brexit, obviously, but it’s happened and much needs still to be resolved so can’t we discuss it sensibly instead of acrimoniously? 😇

• Site Supporter
44 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

Where did I say we should have unfettered access to the single market? If the product is exactly the same as it was previously and was allowed through then surely that should still apply? Of course there should be checks on goods going into the single market to ensure they meet the required standards but surely these products already have been checked and found suitable? Hopefully under todays agreement a little basic common sense has been applied with both sides accepting the need for compromise. The past is now irrelevant and with luck a better relationship between the UK and EU going forward will result in more changes to the benefit of both sides. 🤗

You asked why trade with the EU couldn't be as simple as it was before. It's because we've left the EU, you silly sausage.

5 minutes ago, Cheese said:

You asked why trade with the EU couldn't be as simple as it was before. It's because we've left the EU, you silly sausage.

8 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

Crawley you did accept that I had valid concerns I acknowledge that but you then go on in a patronising fashion to lecture me on what I don’t know but you do. Maybe if you just refrained from assuming everybody you disagree with is an idiot and knows nothing we could have a more intelligent debate rather than the antagonistic, muck slinging it regularly descends into. We disagree on the merits or otherwise of Brexit, obviously, but it’s happened and much needs still to be resolved so can’t we discuss it sensibly instead of acrimoniously? 😇

See cheese.

It wasn't patronising, your post seemed to demonstrate you didn't understand what an economic union was, I was saying perhaps have a look into why we currently have some problems is all.