Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Kids Footy Advice

HomerJay

• Site Supporter

Looking for a bit of advice from folk who have been through similar.

My lad is 7 and plays footy for 2 teams currently. Local clubs.

Over the last 6 months we have been approached by Preston, Blackburn and burnley. We have always turned them down as he wasn't all that bothered and we didn't want to put pressure on him. Plus his clubs coaches have said 7 is too young to be going to academy football as it's just a meat market and they will drop players as fast as they pick them up.

Now I'm told by most people who see him play, including his current coaches, that he is as good as any players his age, and he certainly has something many kids his age don't.

I have been fine with just letting him play and turning down all approaches but t this weekend man utd have approached us.

So do we go down to one of these academy clubs and be coached by uefa qualified coaches rather than level 1/2 or just let him play for his local clubs for the time being. I know there is no rush but this weekend I saw some of his friends play who are at academies and they have come on massively since joining.

Thoughts appreciated.

Pablo is quite inciteful on this subject. I think a change in attitude has seen that bigger is now better in terms of club and getting what you can out of it rather than making it if that makes sense.

Obviously if he’s good get him to the whites though!

• Site Supporter

Sounds like a good player.

I think kids that age aren’t really going to get too upset if it doesn’t work out so I’d say you should go for it.

As it’s Manyoo, you are also barred from posting on here in the meantime you fucking traitor. ????

Seriously though, the odds are slim, but someone’s got to make it through....May as well give your lad a shot

• Site Supporter

My lad used to play for Eagley Rangers and at around 9 lost about half the club to various pro football clubs. To my knowledge only Ashley Fletcher made it out of 4 or 5 who were stopped from playing the next 6 years with their mates.

Taking a flyer that you were at the Euxton Villa tournament this weekend?

If your lad is 7 then he must be in the team that fat’s runs? Some good players in that side when I’ve seen them

Tough one mate, personally I think it’s far too early to be running your lad across the north west how ever many times a week, could kill the enjoyment for them which should be the main thing. However on the other side you don’t want him to fall behind

If you can get decent coaching closer to home, PNE, Blackburn, Bolton etc would that not be better than schlepping to the other side of Manchester?

Pabs certainly knows his stuff

As does Marple as Junior was at BwFc for years

If it’s a “big club” like Utd, unless it’s the elite group I’d not bother - there’s loads of affiliate and connected groups where you get that label but it’s not the “real deal”.....

Best of luck Homo; hope your lad knows footy better than you ;)

I think 7 is too young to go to an academy the number of kids who get binned of after a few years is unbelievable and the mental damage it causes them has yet to be addressed in my opinion by football academy’s. If he’s good enough he will get picked up in 2-3 years which means he can develop with his mates and still have the opportunity at a later date. One other option is carry on playing with his current team and mates and ask if he can still be coached.

Man city are scouting 3 year olds these day.

7 is young, but at that age its only a ‘bit of extra training’.

My advice would be to give it a go and see if he likes it, he will still be able to play with his mates n local team at this time.

My lad been in and out of acads for diff periods since he was 7. Its a massive pat on the back for our lad or any lad getting spotted.

We used every opertunity and trial as a tool to improve him as a player and a person. Im hoping it drives some good life traits and qualities in him. Never give up, always try to improve, dont be scared of failing, be proud of who you are. Im sure these will help him in life.

The whole system is flawed but some kids adapt to the whole acad process very well, others dont.

Edited by Pablo

My lad was at the pre academy of Wigan and Burnley, playing in defence for the former and in goal for the latter. He opted to stay with Burnley after playing a few times for City. He was offered a pre contract at the age of 7- a year before anyone else. They have recently had major investment in the training facilities, and do their utmost to be inclusive and show the kids their is opportunities to get to the first team. They have moved from cat 3 to cat 2, and his team are going places.

The scouts will invite him down to development centre, which are often regional (Burnley's were in Skem and Salford, City have one in Bolton etc). From there the head of development will either come down and see how gets on at the DC, or he may get invited to the training ground for a trial match. If they like the look of him, he will be invited to the join the elite team at the pre academy. He can carry on playing for his grass roots team until the u9s season starts... I think he can carry on playing futsal as it is not governed the same way.

My lad loves it. He trains in Padiham three times a week, and games usually on a Sunday. Occasionally we may head to a 'festival'- Crewe, Leicester, Brum, Sunderland... We've also been to Alkmaar where he played against the likes of Ajax, Werder Bremen, Cologne, PSV. In October we go to the Algarve and play against Real Madrid, Atletico, Porto etc...

He has developed as a character and a player- I certainly recommend it for the experiences alone. Burnley are a lovely club- Man City have great facilities, but no personal touch- tbf John Ashley's lad is a keeper coach their, and he was really nice... Man Utd hand out loads of training gear, boots etc.

It is a great opportunity for you all, if he doesn't like he doesn't have to stay

BWFC sponsored the under 7s league, Arena used as a central ground. Never once saw a Bolton scout. The lads grass roots team played them under the dome at the school. They have community coaching etc, but I have seen very little of a presence at the elite level.

United ised to have a dc or satalite acad at smithills school.

They are all over the place.

Funnily Everton had one in stretford....United kicked off about it????

Edited by Pablo