Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

6 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

Yep.

This bit agrees with both of us.

Experts currently caution against reading too much into figures from the UK. On Friday morning there were 798 confirmed cases of Covid-19 in the UK, and 10 deaths – although the prime minister, Boris Johnson, has suggested as many as 10,000 people in the UK could be already infected with the virus.

It’s whether you believe the government estimates or not. I’ve said previously that we are in unprecedented territory.

Time, as they say, will tell.

3 minutes ago, Spider said:

It’s mid 20’s in Madrid right now and the situation there is as bad as Italy.

How warm does it have to be?

Too warm for you Ginge 😘

Will be fine when it's hotter.

Ironically, a guy weeks ago said Italy first in Europe followed by Spain to be majorly affected by it. Seems he was right. Will try and find his reasoning behind it.

14 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Till their next outbreak. The virus is still out there, they've still no immunity and unless we can develop a vaccine before they have another outbreak then they're still very much at risk.

Our approach might pay dividends. Allow people to get it in a sort of managed way - and develop a herd immunity.

Just been on sky news explaining herd immunity

59 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

Yes I get that but many many others disagree across the world, that surely is a worry?

Herd immunity needs a majority percentage with resistance to be effective but we aren't there yet obviously. So that means folk are going to die before we get to get to that point.

By choice.

Maybe I am getting soft in my middle age but that doesn't sit right with me and by the looks of it, the rest of the civilised world.

It’s an experiment either way

I guess we’ve no choice but to go with the flow

Or we could have a referendum?

That would sort it out (🤗)

26 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Till their next outbreak. The virus is still out there, they've still no immunity and unless we can develop a vaccine before they have another outbreak then they're still very much at risk.

Our approach might pay dividends. Allow people to get it in a sort of managed way - and develop a herd immunity.

Looks like the Canadians are ahead of the game on that.

That's what cancelling the hockey will do.

Edited by frank_spencer

its march. but. 

the 2009 swine flu apparantly infected more than the spanish flu of 1918 . but iirc 2009 was kind of cold too. 

these might fit the timeframe.. i forget. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/February_2009_Great_Britain_and_Ireland_snowfall

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_of_2009–10_in_Great_Britain_and_Ireland

if now warms up (the winters been kind of wet) then it should help. 

Still think it'll be ok. but might stock up on hazmat suits just incase..

Edited by e2e4
typo

31 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

You need to work out how many of the 10,000 who have it now will be dead in a month, experts are currently saying 1% so 100 deaths 

Many of the estimated 10k current infected won’t even show symptoms yet dont forget 

If we are at 5k cases now, some models calculate that the infection rate doubles every 6 days, if left unchecked. That's 20m by June. 1% deaths = 200k. I'm sure preventative measures will be in force before we get anywhere near that, to aid the slowing. Sobering thought. 

5 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

If we are at 5k cases now, some models calculate that the infection rate doubles every 6 days, if left unchecked. That's 20m by June. 1% deaths = 200k. I'm sure preventative measures will be in force before we get anywhere near that, to aid the slowing. Sobering thought. 

Meanwhile, Radcliffe white thinks we will be playing Oxford away in May 

8 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

But Michael,  you were telling us to listen to experts on other matters.....can't have it both ways can one old boy ?

Chin chin 🍷👌

Really? You confusing me with someone else I fear. I have a healthy disdain of experts. 

• Moderators
8 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

and the very next day, those who were waiting for the government to tell them what to do, e.g. the PL and EFL, have now ignored them and done their own thing

I'm currently on hold to Avanti West Coast and have been for 45 minutes, as I try to cancel train tickets and get a refund because there's no chance me or anyone I know is spending 4 hours over the weekend on a train to/from London, fuck that

I reckon the little ones nursery will decide to close next week, and if they do, I would expect them to refund me too

oh any my long weekend in a caravan next week with my elderly folks with underlying health conditions, that's not happening either, Haven better be ready to refund

I'm not panicking though

bet I dont' get any refunds either

Why would you not travel to London

I'd be all over a trip to spurs tomorrow