Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

4 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Yes our R rate & drop in new infections is impressive, but there are other factors to take into the equation - plus Boris will want to fuck Andy Burnham over. Tier 3 beckons

Would Burnham not prefer Tier3? - I'd have thought that you would get more/further Government assistance in T3 than you would in T2

• Site Supporter
6 hours ago, Traf said:

It's total madness in my opinion.

Questions need to be asked.

If it wasn't Xmas, would there be a 5 day relaxation period?
Does "the science" say a 5-day blowout will be good for the country?
Why were large ethnic areas effectively closed down with no notice prior to Eid?

I agree, though I can see why- seems many would fuck it off anyhow. 

The danger now though, is folk going beyond the limits of this brief lifting, and still taking the piss: give an inch and they'll take a yard type thing.

Rock and a hard place, but for me just  stick with it for a while. Even it the offer another couple of bank Holidays in March say, by means of compensation, to get together then 

2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I agree, though I can see why- seems many would fuck it off anyhow. 

The danger now though, is folk going beyond the limits of this brief lifting, and still taking the piss: give an inch and they'll take a yard type thing.

Rock and a hard place, but for me just  stick with it for a while. Even it the offer another couple of bank Holidays in March say, by means of compensation, to get together then 

Folk were doing it anyway. Those who are going to Rip the arse out of it we’re going to irrespective of the rules. These rules give a big of leeway to those following the rules that’s all 

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Farrelli said:

I meant for Wales but the point still applies that lockdowns in Scotland and Wales have been effective in controlling infection rates, or did you miss that bit.

Not sure the Welsh one has been so effective. Have their numbers come down since, because they were higher at the end than the beginning? Not necessarily unexpected, but if they haven't dropped since then maybe their's needed to be longer.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Escobarp said:

Fwiw @Farrellii agree that the measures implemented have worked. But for balance, limited or lesser measures have also clearly worked in other parts of England. A one size fits all approach doesn’t work that is clear. 

I was curious as to this extra Scottish 'lockdown'- when did that occur?

Only NI and Wales had one prior to the current English one.

The tier system was also started in England first too, Nicola soon followed suit with her own version.

3 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I was curious as to this extra Scottish 'lockdown'- when did that occur?

Only NI and Wales had one prior to the current English one.

The tier system was also started in England first too, Nicola soon followed suit with her own version.

We both know this mate. 

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Folk were doing it anyway. Those who are going to Rip the arse out of it we’re going to irrespective of the rules. These rules give a big of leeway to those following the rules that’s all 

Aye, probably. 

One thing's for sure, it'll be the government's fault if a few more olds cop for it!

Each to their own, but we're not going to expand bubbles etc. Might go with the current one (in laws), but might just stick with the 3 of us.

Edited by Tonge moor green jacket

1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Aye, probably. 

One thing's for sure, it'll be the government's fault if a few more olds cop for it!

Each to their own, but we're not going to expand bubbles etc. Might go with the current one (in laws), but might just stick with the 3 of us.

Absolutely it will be the governments fault

i will see my mum pre xmas which I’m part of her support bubble with her fella. That’s it. My brother works for nhs so given his exposure to people with illnesses we’ve left him out. 

xmas day will be me and my missus with a visit from her mum and dad in the morning to drop stuff off etc. Her grandparents are both vulnerable so whilst I would benefit financially should they get it and die I don’t want to be responsible 

5 minutes ago, Spider said:

It’s merely an opinion

But given the lag and the fact we have almost a year of data, I’m hazarding a guess that this is the peak of wave 2.

To go from 500ish to 696 hints at a different trend.

Hope you are right, though

• Site Supporter
Just now, boltondiver said:

I think they’ve a habit of throwing in “catch up” numbers. Wouldn’t surprise me that they do it on a Wednesday.

Its partly blind hope, but I just can’t think we’ll get close to wave 1 numbers.

1 hour ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Yes our R rate & drop in new infections is impressive, but there are other factors to take into the equation - plus Boris will want to fuck Andy Burnham over. Tier 3 beckons

1 hour ago, Sweep said:

Would Burnham not prefer Tier3? - I'd have thought that you would get more/further Government assistance in T3 than you would in T2

Burnham doesn't want Tier 3 for Greater Manchester,stating it would be "Too punishing on hospitality and therefore town centres"  He admits that we are "More than likely" heading for Tier 3.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Each to their own, but we're not going to expand bubbles etc. Might go with the current one (in laws)

That reads like your bubbled with at least two houses?

Maybe im reading it wrong?

6 hours ago, boltondiver said:

One day someone will uncover how seasonal it is

Do you genuinely believe that lockdown and other restrictions have no effect on the numbers coming down - either in April/May, or now? That it would've happened anyway in the same time period?

And while we're at it, do we also now all accept that the number of cases are important, and do have a direct link to hospitalisations and deaths? Or does that still require further investigation?

5 hours ago, boltondiver said:

It shows how desensitised everybody is when nigh on 700 deaths barely makes the news. I remember folk losing their shit when Italy were getting 500 in the spring