Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

5 minutes ago, leigh white said:

Bent's Garden Centre is right on the GM/Warrington border, packed out to the rafters everyday and especially this time of year with their overpriced Christmas bling, I doubt they are refusing punters to enter because their postcode is in Tier 3.

Garden centres allowed to open even in lockdown. 

• Site Supporter
46 minutes ago, Traf said:

Just catching on the last few pages and...

Blaming Burnham is bollocks. North West was always going to be Tier 3. Liverpool have T2 as a thank you for being he mass test guinea pigs and for the extreme measures they had earlier. They'll be T3 in a fortnight.

Talk of nipping "over borders" for a pint is part of the wider problem. Stick to the rules FFS, you're not exempt because you're close to somewhere that is.

This

Most of us want a pint.

But if everyone just acts like a grown up for a bit longer, this can be put to bed.

Facebook is awash with people acting all confused.

Theyd be the first ones invited for a jab, and it wouldn’t be just the vaccine, the brain dead boring cunts.

Tier 2 for me, but to be honest I'm hanging fire with my return to the boozer.

It's just a fucking bind, not enjoyable at all. Sit here, eat this, order from here, put your mask on for a piss.................I just can't be arsed with it anymore.

I'd rather have a pint with a couple of mates in my garden. Which I think I can do now. I'll have to check the rules as I'm losing track

53 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

Tier 2 for me, but to be honest I'm hanging fire with my return to the boozer.

It's just a fucking bind, not enjoyable at all. Sit here, eat this, order from here, put your mask on for a piss.................I just can't be arsed with it anymore.

I'd rather have a pint with a couple of mates in my garden. Which I think I can do now. I'll have to check the rules as I'm losing track

A couple of friends?

2 hours ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

It's not 300 v. 17,000 but, yes, we should probably see a sharp reduction in the number of flu cases

According to this...

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsduetocoronaviruscovid19comparedwithdeathsfrominfluenzaandpneumoniaenglandandwales/deathsoccurringbetween1januaryand31august2020

‘and 394 deaths due to influenza.’

It also has the 5 year average at over 17k on the Bar chart further down 

But we are agreed, the NHS won’t be needing to worry about any huge spikes of flu cases over the next couple of months 

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, birch-chorley said:

Surely they aren’t expecting much of an influx due to Winter Flu? 

So far this year only 300 have died from flu (if numbers are to be believed) vs the normal average of 17,000

I’d imagine the restrictions in place for Covid will also reduce Winter Flu transmission, both here and abroad, I wonder if the Southern Hemisphere Winter Flu was lower this year? That normally comes our way 

Add that to the fact 30m are being vaccinated for it this Winter this year vs the usual 15m and I doubt Hospitals have anything to worry about that way 

I agree, I reckon flu will be less this year. However, given places like Blackburn are already bursting and flu season peaks in the new year months they're very worried.

Won't take much to push things over capacity. 

Also don't forget other ailments and injuries that still need treating.

4 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I agree, I reckon flu will be less this year. However, given places like Blackburn are already bursting and flu season peaks in the new year months they're very worried.

Won't take much to push things over capacity. 

Also don't forget other ailments and injuries that still need treating.

Aye, of course, but the point was they will be expecting a Winter Flu surge soon 

30m vaccines (vs the the normal 15m) with restrictions in place that reduce all viruses spreading makes me think they won’t have any issues that way 

Winter Flu deaths are down -98% YTD which tells its own story (if correct of course) 

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Traf said:

Just catching on the last few pages and...

Blaming Burnham is bollocks. North West was always going to be Tier 3. Liverpool have T2 as a thank you for being he mass test guinea pigs and for the extreme measures they had earlier. They'll be T3 in a fortnight.

Talk of nipping "over borders" for a pint is part of the wider problem. Stick to the rules FFS, you're not exempt because you're close to somewhere that is.

In fairness, Liverpool has rate of less than 150 now, so level 2 seems reasonable. As you say, I can't see it staying that way though.

As for London, its growth is upward, ours is downward. There are 5 different factors used in calculation of tiers though, including actual numbers and hospital capacity. 

On those figures London will be in a better position currently. Might well not stay that way though.

All will be revealed on the 16th.

28 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

According to this...

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsduetocoronaviruscovid19comparedwithdeathsfrominfluenzaandpneumoniaenglandandwales/deathsoccurringbetween1januaryand31august2020

‘and 394 deaths due to influenza.’

It also has the 5 year average at over 17k on the Bar chart further down 

But we are agreed, the NHS won’t be needing to worry about any huge spikes of flu cases over the next couple of months 

The 17,000 figure is the figure for influenza and pneumonia combined.

January 2019 - August 2019: 17,432

January 2020 - August 2020: 14,013

So a reduction of around 3,000 on last year.

I'm sure we discussed this a few weeks ago.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

Aye, of course, but the point was they will be expecting a Winter Flu surge soon 

30m vaccines (vs the the normal 15m) with restrictions in place that reduce all viruses spreading makes me think they won’t have any issues that way 

Winter Flu deaths are down -98% YTD which tells its own story (if correct of course) 

Get that.

But nhs planners can't assume there won't be a surge later. Also more strokes occur in winter for example so other things to consider. There'd be outcry if they were struggling to admit folk.