Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Work place accidents

Craziest thing I ever saw in my old job was watching a bloke step off an access walkway thing on to a suspended ceiling above an office below and expect to simply walk on it.  

Closely followed by a bloke chopping through a pyro cable thinking it was dead. Can still see the blue flame in my eyes now.

3 hours ago, victor meldrew said:

can't find the story, someone will, but who remembers 2 contractors from nottingham ,working on decommissioning metal box in westhoughton , who were dismantling a chimney and were shot into the air like a cannon.

unfortunately brown bread

approx 1994

Think it was well later than that. I moved to Chew Moor in 1994 and my ex-FiL was working at Metal Box then

Moved out in 2003 and there were houses on site then so early 2000’s at a guess??

I broke my leg playing for the firm’s football team, does that count? :)

Come to think about it, one of my groomsmen (work colleague) broke a collar bone while goalkeeping for the team and a chap in our department ruptured his achilles on a work ski trip. Overseas football tours with the company have resulted in a broken wrist, broken ribs and a punctured lung (poor chap required a two week hospital stay before being able to go home).

More dangerous than you think, these office jobs...

• Site Supporter

One of the more gruesome H&S-gone-wrong jobs I attended was 40 or 50 feet below ground in a storm water holding tank being dug on the edge of Queens Park. A dumper truck down at the bottom failed to start so the driver jump started it from an excavator. For some reason, still unknown 20+ years later, as soon as he connected the second lead, the starter engaged and lurched the dumper forwards, trapping his head between dumper and excavator. 

• Moderators
9 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

Think it was well later than that. I moved to Chew Moor in 1994 and my ex-FiL was working at Metal Box then

Moved out in 2003 and there were houses on site then so early 2000’s at a guess??

Think it was later

The chimney stayed up for a while and it gave me the shivers thinking about it every time i drove past, thinking around 2000

On 19/08/2020 at 07:42, boogs said:

Only yesterday some pig shit thick wagon driver drove up the road at the back of our unit with the grab arm still fully extended upwards, I didn't even think that was possible. He's dragged down every wire up the street leaving about 8 businesses without any phones or Internet. Fuck knows what it'll cost his company but open reach/BT were already on the phone asking who is getting billed for it before the engineers where even on the scene. Folk were shouting and waving at him after the first wire but he didn't stop til he'd done the lot 😂

It’s gonna be Monday before they come out to reconnect. That’ll be 6 days after the event, 6 fuckin days without phones or internet for businesses. I’m sure when Japan have earthquakes they rebuild bridges and roads quicker than that, never mind replace a few wires. Menkul!!!

On 20/08/2020 at 20:04, victor meldrew said:

can't find the story, someone will, but who remembers 2 contractors from nottingham ,working on decommissioning metal box in westhoughton , who were dismantling a chimney and were shot into the air like a cannon.

unfortunately brown bread

approx 1994

Company I used to work for  did all the maintenance work at metal box thank fuck somebody under cut us for that job

On 21/08/2020 at 10:48, boogs said:

It’s gonna be Monday before they come out to reconnect. That’ll be 6 days after the event, 6 fuckin days without phones or internet for businesses. I’m sure when Japan have earthquakes they rebuild bridges and roads quicker than that, never mind replace a few wires. Menkul!!!

Jesus Christ, they’ve gotta come back tomorrow with a cherry picker now to do it cos they’re not allowed to put ladders against a cladded building. No wonder this country is fucked. 
The lads that have been reckon it’ll cost this wagon drivers company into the thousands. It’s madness.

(I’m aware I’m pretty much speaking to myself about this, but it seems as good a place as any to get my whinging out 😁)

• 4 weeks later...