Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Meanwhile in Ukraine

Rudy

16 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Was reading about Finland's arms forces the other day - and what they offer to NATO. 

While their standing army is quite small on paper - they could mobilise their population extremely quickly because of their national service commitments and because they regularly attend refresher courses to keep them up to date. They also have loads of artillery.

Apparently if you're a business owner or part of the public sector then you also have to submit a plan about how you would gear your organisation towards the war effort in case the country ever needed to defend itself. 

It's just the norm over there apparently. Pretty impressive and not someone you'd want to pick a fight with. 

They share a large border and have previous with Russia so it might stem from that

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Was reading about Finland's arms forces the other day - and what they offer to NATO. 

While their standing army is quite small on paper - they could mobilise their population extremely quickly because of their national service commitments and because they regularly attend refresher courses to keep them up to date. They also have loads of artillery.

Apparently if you're a business owner or part of the public sector then you also have to submit a plan about how you would gear your organisation towards the war effort in case the country ever needed to defend itself. 

It's just the norm over there apparently. Pretty impressive and not someone you'd want to pick a fight with. 

Consistently rated 'Happiest country in the world'. Probably a lot to do with it being a large country, with a relatively tiny population.

1 minute ago, Cheese said:

Consistently rated 'Happiest country in the world'. Probably a lot to do with it being a large country, with a relatively tiny population.

Very expensive apparently 

Read that those that live near the border with Russia would (though not anymore) get on the train to go on the piss in St Petersburg and come back the same day as it was still cheaper than in Finland

2 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

They share a large border and have previous with Russia so it might stem from that

I think they've only been independent of Russia for about 100 years - I have a friend who is Finnish, and she hates Russians with an absolute passion, and I mean properly hates them. You can see it in her eyes when she speaks about them. 

About 36DD, but after a couple of kids, I'm not sure how kind gravity is to them when they're not held up by a bra

2 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

Very expensive apparently 

Read that those that live near the border with Russia would (though not anymore) get on the train to go on the piss in St Petersburg and come back the same day as it was still cheaper than in Finland

It is expensive, Mrs Sweep went over with our friend 2 years ago - and they went on a day trip, by ferry, to Tallinn  - apparently it was like hell on earth on the way back, with everybody absolutely smashed. I think she said it was about 2 hours crossing each way, with 3 or 4 hours in Tallin supping cheap booze. Absolute carnage. It's on my bucket list as something to do.

2 minutes ago, Sweep said:

It is expensive, Mrs Sweep went over with our friend 2 years ago - and they went on a day trip, by ferry, to Tallinn  - apparently it was like hell on earth on the way back, with everybody absolutely smashed. I think she said it was about 2 hours crossing each way, with 3 or 4 hours in Tallin supping cheap booze. Absolute carnage. It's on my bucket list as something to do.

You get similar in Riga with folk coming over from Sweden

In St Peterburg if you get an on-the-spot fine off a policeman, they get to keep the money

Loads would get them for being pissed up so it was like printing money if you were a copper

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Cheese said:

yet they also have one of the highest suidice rates, because it's dark a lot

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Macron talking about potentially sending troops to Ukraine

Posturing I'd imagine, but it's the first time the idea's been publicly mooted

He was talking about that a couple of weeks ago wasn't he? 

• Site Supporter

From the report I read in the times recently, looks like it’s turning into a bit of a modern day Somme-like stalemate.

Chances are it’ll carry on another year or two then Russia will end up with the land they currently occupy and claim victory, whilst Ukraine will claim victory for keeping Russia at bay.

Just a few hundred thousand young lads and lasses is all it’ll cost.

• Site Supporter
15 hours ago, kent_white said:

He was talking about that a couple of weeks ago wasn't he? 

Yes, apparently so.

Quickly dismissed too.

No need anyway- if the Germans would send some of their own long range missiles and everyone upped their ammunition supplies, the Ukrainians would manage themselves. 

9 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Yes, apparently so.

Quickly dismissed too.

No need anyway- if the Germans would send some of their own long range missiles and everyone upped their ammunition supplies, the Ukrainians would manage themselves. 

I read the other day that we're holding $300 billion worth of frozen Russian assets. 

Why aren't we using that to fund Ukraine?

• Site Supporter
23 minutes ago, kent_white said:

I read the other day that we're holding $300 billion worth of frozen Russian assets. 

I'm not sure the uk is holding that amount- maybe that's a cumulative figure for lots of nations, but either way, it seems reasonable at first glance.

It's certainly been mooted.

I can only think that there's a feeling that that money, in the hands of a number of big Russian energy types, essentially belongs to the Russian people and may have been acquired by nefarious means.

If that then disappears to fight Russia, then Putin et al may spin it into further anti-Russian sentiment, and possible escalation.

It may also be of use in reconstruction later.

Maybe there are potential legal implications down the line too.

A complex situation for sure.

1 hour ago, kent_white said:

Because we're slowly dripfeeding it into Israel.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Site Supporter
12 hours ago, fatolive said:

Ukraine enemy in the woods on BBC2 now 

grim but fascinating, a battalion fitted with body & helmet cams showing the reality of it. 

Saw a good chunk of it.

The dehumanising effect of war laid bare.

Also suggets the west needs to up its game in terms of munitions, as Ukraine is losing plenty of men.

Russia clearly can cope with personnel losses, even at a greater rate.

• Members
On 15/03/2024 at 05:21, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Macron talking about potentially sending troops to Ukraine

Posturing I'd imagine, but it's the first time the idea's been publicly mooted

:lol: No doubt well equipped with white flags.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Saw a good chunk of it.

The dehumanising effect of war laid bare.

Also suggets the west needs to up its game in terms of munitions, as Ukraine is losing plenty of men.

Russia clearly can cope with personnel losses, even at a greater rate.

Aye, those lads making their own explosives out of soap and petrol, strapping them onto drones and still being successful in eliminating foxholes , only for a whole new batch of Russians shipped in showed that perfectly in one 5 min section . 

the whole dehumanising effect of trampling  over “ dead fucking Russians” everywhere as they put it must be awful but also saw the human side when they found one of theirs , could see the effect on them . 

• Site Supporter

Didn't see that explosives making bit!

The part when he had already hit the Russian but went towards him and finished him off with several rounds was truly horrific. 

Glad the screen went black at that point.

The Russian fella was groaning but was shown no mercy. His passport revealed he was 57. Said a lot about the Russian approach.

35 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Didn't see that explosives making bit!

The part when he had already hit the Russian but went towards him and finished him off with several rounds was truly horrific. 

Glad the screen went black at that point.

The Russian fella was groaning but was shown no mercy. His passport revealed he was 57. Said a lot about the Russian approach.

Says a lot about the Russian army.