89.1% chance of Top 3

4.2% 1st

28.9% 2nd

56.0% 3rd

This is really where it gets fucking odd:

77 points gives a 65.7% chance of promotion but

78 points gives a 48.8% chance of promotion

79 obviously is 100%  

A sleepless night, either because my partner is awaitng her 11th grandchild or because I was trying to figure out the anomaly on 78 pts. I think that there is a transcription error and that the computer calculated 68.8% but a human interface wrote it down as 48.8%. After all, we do know that the only difference between going up on 77 and going up on 78 is if Cambridge lose twice and one, but not both, of Morecambe and Tranmere win twice. 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Rudy said:

I might watch Cheltenham tomorrow and cheer on Carlisle 

Be great for 3 teams going into the final two games separated by 2 points, that would be exciting 

As long as we're at the top. 

11 hours ago, captainmed said:

Yes I didn’t even consider Cambridge.

So therefore the point that the analysis is incorrect still stands.

I think that this, along with my point, shows that the probability of going up with 78 points, is definitely HIGHER than the probability of going up with 77.

There is no way we can be less likely to get promoted with more points. I like my maths stuff and it is not possible. Without working out all scenarios it could be the same but certainly not less. 

• Site Supporter
10 hours ago, Zico said:

I'm all for stats and stuff but to be arguing the toss over a 63.3% chance of going up or a 65.7% chance is in "never kissed a girl free of charge" territory

Hang on, after 9 grand's worth of ale, I'm amazed you managed to compile a list of the most accurate tit assessors. 

That's dedication to nerdism (or should that be nippleism). :)

• Moderators
Just now, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Hang on, after 9 grand's worth of ale, I'm amazed you managed to compile a list of the most accurate tit assessors. 

That's dedication to nerdism (or should that be nippleism). :)

And i kissed all the girls in the pictures whilst going back over the previous games

24 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

What did you get for that ? 

Maybe they are waiting for the season to end to pay out.

Just £200 but few bookies have already paid out 

13 hours ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Anyway how come bookies ain’t paying top7 finish out?

They're just holding the money for as long as they can. It will be under the guise that we've not finished in the top 7 yet, as the league is still on going.....I'm assuming they wait until final league standings in case something ridiculous, like points deduction for setting fire to the opposition goalkeeper or administration or something happens

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Sweep said:

They're just holding the money for as long as they can. It will be under the guise that we've not finished in the top 7 yet, as the league is still on going.....I'm assuming they wait until final league standings in case something ridiculous, like points deduction for setting fire to the opposition goalkeeper or administration or something happens

Total guess but some systems may be able to pay out on individual teams placings whereas others need the final top 7 in place before processing all payments across all teams

1 hour ago, Zico said:

Total guess but some systems may be able to pay out on individual teams placings whereas others need the final top 7 in place before processing all payments across all teams

that's probably more logical than my "setting fire to the opposition goalkeeper" thought 🙂

Cash flow, hold on to cash in your bank as long as possible. Always a maxim in industry.

Though I do recall Paddy Piwer paying out early on something which then, unexpectedly, didn't happen. The Paddy team were asked about this error & he shrugged his shoulders & said wtte of "we'll have it all back inside the month".

• Moderators
56 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Cash flow, hold on to cash in your bank as long as possible. Always a maxim in industry.

Though I do recall Paddy Piwer paying out early on something which then, unexpectedly, didn't happen. The Paddy team were asked about this error & he shrugged his shoulders & said wtte of "we'll have it all back inside the month".

Fred Done said something like the best thing he ever did in terms of PR and earnings was when he paid out dead early on Utd winning the title which Arsenal went on to win

1 hour ago, Zico said:

Fred Done said something like the best thing he ever did in terms of PR and earnings was when he paid out dead early on Utd winning the title which Arsenal went on to win

Correct, the amount of press/media exposure they got would have cost far more in paid advertising, plus it made them out to be "good guys"