Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Case of Die Hard . Christmas film or No Christmas film

Rudy

Die Hard Christmas film ?  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, DazBob said:

It's a no from me. It could be set at any time of the year and it wouldn't really change the film at all.

1 hour ago, Spider said:

Christmas films are about the redemption of the protagonist, who is changed in a positive way as a direct result of the fact that it is the season of goodwill..

These flaky criteria rule out Home Alone also

• Moderators
1 hour ago, DazBob said:

It's a no from me. It could be set at any time of the year and it wouldn't really change the film at all.

and you could also set The Long Good Friday at any time of the year, but that doesn't stop it being an Easter film, which I actually watch every good friday

• Members

In my book, a Christmas film makes you feel Christmassy.

Bruce Willis in a vest, Macauley Culkin running around placing traps, etc, doesn't make me feel Christmassy.

There's no right or wrong, it's what you feel when you watch em.

... but Die Hard isn't a Christmas filum. 

Didn't we have a vote of this some years back?

Anyway, Die Hard being a Christmas film is revisionist internet chat room nonsense. Always trust the money men. It was released as a summer blockbuster in the US and in Feburary the following year in the UK.

It was supposed to be a big summer blockbuster, look at the marketing, there isn't a look of christmas in any of the shots. Being set at christmas is akin to saying Whitnail and I is a film about the Lakes because its filmed there. 

Christmas is just a narrative reason for John McClane to be in his wife's office given they live in different cities are are having problems with their marriage - hence the nice resolution at the end of them falling back in love after time apart and the problems its caused. It also means he doesn't have access to his usual collegues and has to form new alliances which makes his task more difficult, but gives it a buddy angle as well.

Think of Christmas as something that just allowed the situation to arise; rather than it being a central tenet of the film - which is what real Christmas films are. Christmas is story. Christmas Carol, A Wonderful Life, White Christmas, The Snowman, Jingle All The Way, Christmas Vacation....

And anyway if you claim Die Hard, you have to start claiming things like Batman Returns.