Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Cost Of Living Crisis

gonzo

• Site Supporter
17 minutes ago, royal white said:

You can’t beat a freezer tea….fishfingers, waffles, smiley faces, breaded chicken jobs a good un

That pretty much sums up last nights, 4 different bags of chips, (wedges take too long) breaded fish for me and missus kids had nuggets, waffles and chicken dippers haha

11 hours ago, royal white said:

You can’t beat a freezer tea….fishfingers, waffles, smiley faces, breaded chicken jobs a good un

Costs a fucking fortune to buy all that in one job lot tbf. Mind you, I'm doing low carb for a few weeks so it's costing me a fortune in fresh meat and veg.

10 minutes ago, bolton_blondie said:

Tell you what's expensive, funerals. Jesus christ I didn't realise. 

Thankfully both of my parents had all theirs paid up and sorted before they passed. First thing my Mrs and I did after my dad's passing was get ours paid up

Well its finally coming home to roost in the NiC household.

I've cancelled the Craft Gin Club order (to be fair, we have so many bottles of bloody flavoured gin now I could open a bar - can't drink a bottle a month)

I've just put a hold on the Green Chef Weekly food subscription (shame - it's a decent week this week, so i went for it but its the last time!)

Historic England gone (kept the Tate membership though, we're not animals)

National Trust - goodbye... (kept the car sticker though to wangle the free parking)

We really are in needy times.

12 hours ago, royal white said:

We've got three freezers, all full of food, and I'm never allowed to have anything from them - all for special occassions. God knows what like.

48 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

We've got three freezers, all full of food, and I'm never allowed to have anything from them - all for special occassions. God knows what like.

Three freezers, your leccy bill would benefit from shutting one down.

• Site Supporter
53 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

I do, to post birthday cards back home. Bought 12 last week, jaw nearly hit the floor when they said how much it'd be.

I needed to post a letter the other day for the first time in God knows 

needed first class, which I thought was guaranteed next day , ( posting to Preston ) the post office girl said that’s no guarantee these days and if you want guaranteed next day it £6.50 ! 
cheaper drive it there myself 

• Site Supporter
44 minutes ago, Carlos said:

No matter what you pay for, next day, signed for, whatever, it arrives when it arrives and the postie just sticks it in the porche. Massive scam.

No wonder they're charging so much if the posties are driving round in Porches

3 hours ago, bolton_blondie said:

Aye much to my Dads dismay.

He had this madcap idea of all my mums savings landing in his beer fund and me and my brothers picking up the tab :D

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, bolton_blondie said:

Aye

My Mum, bless her, took out a policy a good 15 years before she died. I think at the time she took it out it was enought to cover a State Funeral and a coffin made of gold .

By the time it was needed, I think the policy actually just about paid for the funeral director to have his top hat cleaned.

Not a cheap affair.

3 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Well its finally coming home to roost in the NiC household.

I've cancelled the Craft Gin Club order (to be fair, we have so many bottles of bloody flavoured gin now I could open a bar - can't drink a bottle a month)

The Sweep Household cancelled out Gin Club and Rum Club subscriptions the other week - we must now have about 15/20 bottles of each 🙂  - and we're now saving about £60 per month

We did go to CostCo the other day and did about £300 in there on enough meat to sink a battleship, that's now all bagged up and in the meat freezer. Ideally now, we just need to buy veg, bread and milk on a weekly basis

3 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Same here, it's bonkers  - we do use them all though, and each has a different reason/purpose for existence, and Mrs Sweep runs a strict policy, if I ever put anything in the wrong freezer, then I get a good bollocking

3 minutes ago, Spider said:

The dog is on tap water.

His Evian days are over I'm afraid.

ours still get's filtered water from the BIBO in his bowl.....but he still seems to prefer going outside and drinking from a dirty puddle if he can

14 minutes ago, Sweep said:

ours still get's filtered water from the BIBO in his bowl.....but he still seems to prefer going outside and drinking from a dirty puddle if he can

I leave the outside tap on a constant drip during the day and he just goes and gets a drink from that. Not particularly good for saving water but he enjoys it so that’s all that matters really 

1 hour ago, Sweep said:

Same here, it's bonkers  - we do use them all though, and each has a different reason/purpose for existence, and Mrs Sweep runs a strict policy, if I ever put anything in the wrong freezer, then I get a good bollocking

Yeap same here. The kitchen one is for the everyday (to be fair its a fridge freezer) The box fridge is for pre-made meals and the tall black on is for special occassion food/puddings