Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Food Allergies

little whitt

• Members

I remember being on a Delta flight once.  They always gave out a free bag of nuts with your drink.  Then there's an announcement saying there will be no nuts served for the entire flight due to some attention seeking fuckwit who apparently had "a severe nut allergy".

Could that cunt not have just worn a mask or something?  Pissed me off.

• Site Supporter

Took my then 3 year old daughter onto Bolton Market and stopped at a sweet stall. She perused the goods and picked out peanut brittle. The woman stopped her in her tracks and looked at me saying, “You know there’s peanuts in there, don’t you?”

”Yes, I’d expect there would be!” I replied.

”Are you sure she isn’t allergic to peanuts?” She enquired

At this time, I was getting a bit pissed off that the woman must’ve thought I was such a shit dad I’d allow my daughter to try peanuts without actually knowing. As it happens, one of her favourite foods was peanut butter on toast.

I looked at her, with dead-pan face, and said, “I’ve no idea but how would I know if I never let her have peanuts”?

Silly cow refused to sell me any!

• Members
22 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Took my then 3 year old daughter onto Bolton Market and stopped at a sweet stall. She perused the goods and picked out peanut brittle. The woman stopped her in her tracks and looked at me saying, “You know there’s peanuts in there, don’t you?”

At this time, I was getting a bit pissed off that the woman must’ve thought I was such a shit dad I’d allow my daughter to try peanuts without actually knowing. As it happens, one of her favourite foods was peanut butter on toast.

I looked at her, with dead-pan face, and said, “I’ve no idea but how would I know if I never let her have peanuts”?

On PeteBealeWays there is a woman saying that once upon a time there was a bloke being a knob and putting his daughter's life at risk by taking a punt on whether his daughter had a peanut allergy.

1 hour ago, gonzo said:

Gluten free just means fussy cunt.

Or not.

In 2003 I had rashes on my knees, elbows and other bendy parts, with severe itching. My then GP, since retired, thought it might be stress related. After 15 months he had to refer me to hospital for something else, so contacted Dermatology as well. I was seen 3 weeks later, and the consultant said straight away that she was 99% sure it was Dermatisis Herpetiformis, which a biopsy confirmed.

I have been on a Gluten-Free diet ever since, and it is for life (unless some new discovery should change that). For several years I did not eat out at all, but the food labelling requirements mean that chefs can be sure of their ingredients. Sometimes it's obvious, but sometimes one brand is GF and another is not (pea & ham soup is an example).

Nowadays most restaurants can cater and usually indicate on their website or have a subset of the menu printed, so that, for example, I went to my favourite nearby (5 minutes' drive) place for a birthday meal.

There have been recent well-publicised cases of middle-class deaths from allergies (usually nuts), but in each case I have seen the parents appear foolish to buy food from fast-food outlets instead of preparing sandwiches in advance of their journey.

• Members
15 minutes ago, MalcolmW said:

Or not.

In 2003 I had rashes on my knees, elbows and other bendy parts, with severe itching. My then GP, since retired, thought it might be stress related. After 15 months he had to refer me to hospital for something else, so contacted Dermatology as well. I was seen 3 weeks later, and the consultant said straight away that she was 99% sure it was Dermatisis Herpetiformis, which a biopsy confirmed.

I have been on a Gluten-Free diet ever since, and it is for life (unless some new discovery should change that). For several years I did not eat out at all, but the food labelling requirements mean that chefs can be sure of their ingredients. Sometimes it's obvious, but sometimes one brand is GF and another is not (pea & ham soup is an example).

Nowadays most restaurants can cater and usually indicate on their website or have a subset of the menu printed, so that, for example, I went to my favourite nearby (5 minutes' drive) place for a birthday meal.

There have been recent well-publicised cases of middle-class deaths from allergies (usually nuts), but in each case I have seen the parents appear foolish to buy food from fast-food outlets instead of preparing sandwiches in advance of their journey.

Attention seeker.

• Site Supporter

On holiday last month my lad spent a day in hospital after finding a peanut in an ice cream he was eating. He immediately spat it out, it had literally been in his mouth about 3 seconds. His tongue and throat swelled up immediately and he was blue lighted to hospital. It was fucking scary.

Why anyone wants to eat peanuts on a plane is beyond me.

1 hour ago, MalcolmW said:

Or not.

Thats a long way of saying you just like chips :)

• Members
3 hours ago, MickyD said:

I have a peanut allergy 

Growing up, thought nothing of it as I hated the smell of them and would make me sick.

Maybe it was my body's way of telling me don't go there

Unrelated to that, I had an allergy test where they took a small prick of blood then the results told you what you were allergic to

Had things like cat hair etc but each one was based on a score. Peanuts went through the roof compared to everything else. To the extent I have one of those epipens

Though I'm also allergic to nickel 

Edited by DirtySanchez
Typo

52 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Thats a long way of saying you just like chips :)

Depends.

If they are fried in a separate fryer then fine. With oven chips check that they only contain potato and oil - some brands included gluten in added ingredients (I think Aunt Bessie's is one such).

And all Co-op fishcakes are now gluten-free.

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, MickyD said:

All a bit sad now. Clearly scared to fuck of being sued or getting in the press.

No reason why she should be as it was clearly a peanut based food and you were aware, but I can understand some folks' angst.

Generally, I do wonder if there is a greater incidence of allergies these days, or whether its just a case of nowadays we can determine the issue and treat it. Previously, folk would have just died. 

• Site Supporter
52 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

All a bit sad now. Clearly scared to fuck of being sued or getting in the press.

No reason why she should be as it was clearly a peanut based food and you were aware, but I can understand some folks' angst.

Generally, I do wonder if there is a greater incidence of allergies these days, or whether its just a case of nowadays we can determine the issue and treat it. Previously, folk would have just died. 

I’m not convinced this isn’t all a result of modern living. Chemicals being mixed to create flavours, processed foods, etc.

Our parents and grandparents didn’t get the option of mass-produced chemically enhanced foods and didn’t have a long list of allergies either.

• Site Supporter
13 hours ago, MickyD said:

I’m not convinced this isn’t all a result of modern living. Chemicals being mixed to create flavours, processed foods, etc.

Our parents and grandparents didn’t get the option of mass-produced chemically enhanced foods and didn’t have a long list of allergies either.

Yep, I think that's also perfectly reasonable. Few cleaning chemicals etc and their bodies weren't contaminated by fluorocarbons neither.