Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The NHS

L/H White

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, mickbrown said:

The cynic in me thinks it's being broken on purpose.

The Darley Court case, is pretty much criminal. Closing a unit that was over subscribed and constantly full.. then bulldozing it..

The fact its pretty much nailed on to be sold off wiffs of dodgy dealings .

10 hours ago, only1swanny said:

The Darley Court case, is pretty much criminal. Closing a unit that was over subscribed and constantly full.. then bulldozing it..

The fact its pretty much nailed on to be sold off wiffs of dodgy dealings .

Darley Court was falling to bits unfortunately. I think it was pretty much condemned in the end. 

Everybody was gutted to lose that unit. Not least the hospital. 

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Darley Court was falling to bits unfortunately. I think it was pretty much condemned in the end. 

Everybody was gutted to lose that unit. Not least the hospital. 

Still had plenty of life left in it, the facility was always busy and was never replaced.. IIRC the reason why they finally closed it was that the boiler couldnt be fixed.. 

Had family members who worked there.

Meanwhile older people sit on wards as they aren't ready to go home, but too well to stay in hospital

1 minute ago, only1swanny said:

Still had plenty of life left in it, the facility was always busy and was never replaced.. IIRC the reason why they finally closed it was that the boiler couldnt be fixed.. 

Had family members who worked there.

Meanwhile older people sit on wards as they aren't ready to go home, but too well to stay in hospital

I think there was a multitude of things. Plus the way it was designed was a nightmare for infection control. And I think COVID was the final straw for it.

It was also really big but could only hold relatively few patients. 

I've worked there too in the past - and it's a shame. But I think probably the right decision on balance. 

• Site Supporter
Just now, kent_white said:

I think there was a multitude of things. Plus the way it was designed was a nightmare for infection control. And I think COVID was the final straw for it.

It was also really big but could only hold relatively few patients. 

I've worked there too in the past - and it's a shame. But I think probably the right decision on balance. 

Think a lot are being sent to the new place in Breightmet now. The other was Winifred Kettle centre in Daisy Hill?

Just now, only1swanny said:

Think a lot are being sent to the new place in Breightmet now. The other was Winifred Kettle centre in Daisy Hill?

Yeah - personally I think we need lots of community hospitals. To deal with the people that aren't sick enough to warrant emergency admission but need in patient care, and for people to be discharged into for rest and recuperation once they leave RBH. Essentially, the system we used to have but got rid of. 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, only1swanny said:

There used to be a massive geriatric hospital on Hulton Lane and its closure would certainly have impacted elsewhere in the local NHS system.

Father in law, 89, collapsed 3 times the other night. He couldn't walk and when we rang 111 they called an ambulance.  Told us not to move him from the floor but it was a 7 hour wait for an ambulance. We managed to get him into bed, which was just as well as it was 11 hours before the ambulance arrived.

Paramedics were great. They'd come over from Merseyside and took him to A&E where it said a 7 hour wait was expected.  Fortunately he was treated in around 5 and 17 hours later was back home again.

I've no idea how the system has got to this, compared to 10, 20 or 30 years ago but as always the staff were bloody excellent and are clearly propping up a collapsing service.  Give them their feckin pay rise. 

My Wife’s mum had a fall and is currently in Coventry hospital. I went to visit her and the care she is receiving from nurses and doctors on the ward is tremendous. I doff my cap to these people who still want to give the best service they can despite everything going on.

The government owe them at least the respect of a counter pay offer rather than just hiding behind independent pay review panels.

2 hours ago, stevieb said:

Front line staff are great but the nhs is fucked because its got layers of utterly pointless management running it into the ground. 

£120k directors of lived experience in the Midlands. 

What in the fuck is that. 

How many 'layers of utterly pointless management running it into the ground' has it got?

Did you 'do your own research' to reach that conclusion or just parrot it? 

Edited by RoadRunnerFan

21 hours ago, L/H White said:

no sooner had I arrived home from the darts on Thursday my missus went up to the loo and had another seizure (some may of read on here she had brain surgery in June and spent 3 months in hospital) 

Luckily the ambulance arrived in around 30 minutes 

Now the ugly 

She arrived at the hospital around 7pm, 8pm she's still in the ambulance when eventually she's triaged 

8:30 they find a spot for her on the corridor

Fast forward to 7am the next morning she's finally seen

This is the same up and down the country

Speaking to the ambulance staff they used to average 9 jobs a day not so long ago, they are now doing 2 if they are lucky 

Harrowing experience, with no light at the end of the tunnel for our health service 

Just thankful I wasn't home an hour later or she'd have been alone with the little one downstairs

Can't stop playing that scenario out in my head 

Anyway, please only go to a&e if you really need it. 

Genuine question, Why are they only doing 2? 

21 minutes ago, royal white said:

Genuine question, Why are they only doing 2? 

Patients on the back of the ambulances waiting to be triaged as no room in a&e etc

Hence why you can't get an ambulance for hours as they're parked up for hours with patients on

Edited by L/H White

3 hours ago, stevieb said:

Front line staff are great but the nhs is fucked because its got layers of utterly pointless management running it into the ground. 

£120k directors of lived experience in the Midlands. 

What in the fuck is that. 

I'm one of thoseayers of NHS management. Most of us ended up here because we were good at our jobs, and wanted to try to make the system work.

Believe me - without a very talented management layer, the NHS would have broken down years ago. We're the ones who figure out how to make an impossible system possible. 

We are an easy target though! 👍