Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Annual weightloss/get fit thread

gonzo

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Rudy’s Message said:

Think Heaton park and Haigh Hall are doing park runs. Haigh Hall seems like it would be a bit tough though.

You mean the resistance bands?

I live over Stockport way so looking at bramhall and wyhenshawe

I also like drinking till i pass out on a Friday night though

Yeah, resistance bands, maybe its a sign not too

• Members
1 minute ago, ZicoKelly said:

I live over Stockport way so looking at bramhall and wyhenshawe

I also like drinking till i pass out on a Friday night though

Yeah, resistance bands, maybe its a sign not too

I’ve probably got some at work. I know for a fact I’ve got some in the garage but that’s just an open goal for the Mrs to say I might as well clear it all out. 

• Moderators
Just now, Rudy’s Message said:

I’ve probably got some at work. I know for a fact I’ve got some in the garage but that’s just an open goal for the Mrs to say I might as well clear it all out. 

My plan is to join this nearby gym, purely for the sauna

Then work out as follows:

Monday: run

Tuesday: some sort of weights

Wednesday: sauna

Thursday: run

Friday: some sort of weights

Weekends: rest & drink

Might see if the gym has a PT to devise a weights program and put me through an intense session every 2 or 4 weeks or somert

Would rather do weights at home than in gym, those bands seemed a good idea, I don't want actual weights 

Park run done This morning just inside 30 mins but it was hard and I died on the grass afterwards. 

but that was my target before the end of the month and I did it so pleased with myself. 

hard 5 weeks now before holidays so plenty of effort and discipline required!! 

8 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

My plan is to join this nearby gym, purely for the sauna

Then work out as follows:

Monday: run

Tuesday: some sort of weights

Wednesday: sauna

Thursday: run

Friday: some sort of weights

Weekends: rest & drink

Might see if the gym has a PT to devise a weights program and put me through an intense session every 2 or 4 weeks or somert

Would rather do weights at home than in gym, those bands seemed a good idea, I don't want actual weights 

Looks good. Maybe throw in a country walk at weekend for extra calorie burn.

Just done relatively flat 10-11km walk. My rest day. But hungover. Huge calorie deficit came back to bite me. Only had 3 pints of Shindigger Pale Ale and a small glass of red last night. Felt like shite most of today. No way should I be this rough off so little. 

I’ve built up quite a collection of gym stuff at home. Weights, kettlebells, resistance bands, med ball, punchbag, weight bench, spin bike, sand bag, weight jacket, sliding discs, parallettes, 6-in-1 ab trainer. Some shite. Some ok. 

Aldi and other supermarket are usually desperate to get rid of stuff around mid Feb when the demand has flatlined. Pick things up at good prices then. 

Edited by Smiley

17 hours ago, Traf said:

Double volume of liquid to oats

Tried that this morning. Half cup of porridge, one cup of milk. Microwaved the arse off it and still watery. Is it the microwave that’s wrong and I should be doing it in a pan? Or is it because I’m using skimmed milk? Or am I just useless with real porridge oats?

50 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Tried that this morning. Half cup of porridge, one cup of milk. Microwaved the arse off it and still watery. Is it the microwave that’s wrong and I should be doing it in a pan? Or is it because I’m using skimmed milk? Or am I just useless with real porridge oats?

You'll have more control over it if you heat the milk in a pan and add to the oats

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Smiley said:

Looks good. Maybe throw in a country walk at weekend for extra calorie burn.

Walking the dog for 60-90 mins a day will suffice

He's a fat cunt as well, needs to lose 2kg so bought a football for him to chase around

1 hour ago, MancWanderer said:

Try adding less milk, your ratio sounds a bit o.t.t milk wise, Try half a cup of porridge and half a cup of milk, Nuke it for 2 mins and off you  pop..

If it comes out of the nuker looking like  concrete, just add a splash of milk and stir it in.

2 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

Oat So Simple also comes in pouches with a line to show you how much fluid to put in.

11 hours ago, Rudy’s Message said:

Think Heaton park and Haigh Hall are doing park runs. Haigh Hall seems like it would be a bit tough though.

You mean the resistance bands?

Cuerden Valley up this way is a decent Park Run, hilly though 

16th toughest out of all 580 in the U.K. according to the statistics 

14 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

Cuerden Valley up this way is a decent Park Run, hilly though 

16th toughest out of all 580 in the U.K. according to the statistics 

Aye, Cuerden Valley is a lot tougher than Haigh Hall, pathways quite narrow too but a decent course.

Haigh Hall reckon they aren’t short but I did it a few weeks ago and my Garmin clocked it as 2.9 miles. Might be the trees messing with the GPS I suppose.

26 minutes ago, QFPants said:

Aye, Cuerden Valley is a lot tougher than Haigh Hall, pathways quite narrow too but a decent course.

Haigh Hall reckon they aren’t short but I did it a few weeks ago and my Garmin clocked it as 2.9 miles. Might be the trees messing with the GPS I suppose.

My garmin clocks Cuerden a touch short, only 100m mind 

Found it odd, assumed it’s either me taking a racing line through the bends or a bit of GPS signal loss in the woods 

Be careful out there folks, currently sat in minor injuries clinic after being attacked by a dog; just running past a couple, next thing I know I’m knocked on the floor and the dog is biting the side of my stomach!

utterly insane! The dog was way too powerful for the owner, wasn’t even very close to them. Should of had a muzzle, I mean knocked a 13 stone 6ft 2 bloke over, dread to think of what it’d do to a child. 

Was stupid though, didn’t take any details, was just a bit in shock. At least they got me an Uber.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Be careful out there folks, currently sat in minor injuries clinic after being attacked by a dog; just running past a couple, next thing I know I’m knocked on the floor and the dog is biting the side of my stomach!

utterly insane! The dog was way too powerful for the owner, wasn’t even very close to them. Should of had a muzzle, I mean knocked a 13 stone 6ft 2 bloke over, dread to think of what it’d do to a child. 

Was stupid though, didn’t take any details, was just a bit in shock. At least they got me an Uber.

you'll probably find them around the same time, same place next week

some dog owners are fuckwits and oblivious to how dangerous their dogs are

this one clearly needs muzzling

could be a toddler next time

get em found and reported

send me the time, location and description - am available for investigation next Sunday

2 hours ago, Rudy’s Message said:

13.1 miles yesterday in 1:24. Started too slowly and couldn’t make it up. Felt great after it, just done 3 minutes in a cryochamber. -100 degrees, lovely stuff. 

Based on previous posts from you just wondering if you have any advice?

I have a slightly herniated L5-S1 disc that every now again absolutely floors me when it goes

Physio recommended swimming breaststroke to try and strengthen the joint so joined the local Village Gym and been religiously doing 2-3km a week for the past year which seems to have helped as have had no issues since. Feel like I should be also utilising the gym that I'm paying for but a bit nervous about doing any sort of weights in case the back goes again. Anything you think that I should do to help based on the physio saying that I need to strengthen the muscles around that area? Similarly, anything that I should avoid?